• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pumpkin Ales

Tangelo

Each year for Halloween, I host a huge pumpkin carving contest. One of the traditions of the carving party is my finding, ordering and having shipped in multiple cases of pumpkin ale. Everyone gets a charge out of sampling each year's version and much talk goes on comparing it to prior years' pumpkin brews. The small breweries that do these seasonal ales sell out quickly so it's important that I order early. The running favorite is Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale but I would like to order a new one again this year to attempt to unseat this old fave. Any recommendations?

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Also not sure about shipping though... (Weyerbacher is in Pennsylvania and distributes to many Northeast States)

Info here: http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/weyerbacher-i...pkin-ale/51099/

I did a search on Ratebeer for "pumpkin ale" and there are probably 150-200 beers there (although only the first 100 show up in a search). Of course not all of them are going to be accessible to you... It might help to know what region you are in, b/c you might be able to pick up a case from a beer store with a decent selection...

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

My thanks to you both. I will call the distrib in Kansas City to see if he can get his hands on any of these. Generally Royal Liquors has one or two pumpkin ales stocked for the season but I am hoping to get something different this year.

My thanks to you both.  I will call the distrib in Kansas City to see if he can get his hands on any of these.  Generally Royal Liquors has one or two pumpkin ales stocked for the season but I am hoping to get something different this year.

Depending on where you are in Kansas, you might check with Free State Brewery in Lawrence, which has in the past done a pumkin ale. I believe they stell in small firkins in addition to the standard growlers.