• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quail Eggs in Austin, TX?

freek007

I have been able to find them at Whole Foods and Central Market and various korean/asian markets usually during the holiday season, but where can I find them year round? Which place would have the fastest turnover and therefore provide the freshest eggs?

I have been able to find them at Whole Foods and Central Market and various korean/asian markets usually during the holiday season, but where can I find them year round?

I don't know this for sure (I don't buy them), but I think I remember seeing quail eggs pretty much year-round in the MT supermarket in the "Chinatown" center.

Andrew

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

I have been able to find them at Whole Foods and Central Market and various korean/asian markets usually during the holiday season, but where can I find them year round?

I don't know this for sure (I don't buy them), but I think I remember seeing quail eggs pretty much year-round in the MT supermarket in the "Chinatown" center.

Andrew

I have no idea what's going on in Austin but, to second Andrew's suggestion, I've seen quail eggs in serious Asian markets in several cities and would recommend nosing whatever Austin offers along those lines.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

i have pretty much exhausted all the asian markets i can think of [is that MT market the one on N Lamar south of airport?], and all i have been able to find year round are boiled quail eggs in a can. :hmmm:

[is that MT market the one on N Lamar south of airport?]

No. It's much further up Lamar, just south of where Braker (I think that's right) intersects it. It's a huge store in a fairly new development; the whole thing is called Chinatown, but it looks pretty Vietnamese to me.

Andrew

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

I have been able to find them at Whole Foods and Central Market and various korean/asian markets usually during the holiday season, but where can I find them year round?  Which place would have the fastest turnover and therefore provide the freshest eggs?

I noticed quail eggs the last time I was in the market at the Hong Kong shopping center, south of burnet on 183. They were fresh, I have no idea if they carry them year round.

I have been able to find them at Whole Foods and Central Market and various korean/asian markets usually during the holiday season, but where can I find them year round?  Which place would have the fastest turnover and therefore provide the freshest eggs?

I noticed quail eggs the last time I was in the market at the Hong Kong shopping center, south of burnet on 183. They were fresh, I have no idea if they carry them year round.

There used to be a quail farmer at the Sunset Valley Farmer's Market who had eggs, but he wasn't there this past weekend. He may have moved to the downtown market, or he may have just skipped a week.

I believe the farmer in question is called Texas Quail Farms or something similarly generic. They were at the Sunset Valley farmers market last year but I haven't seen them in over half a year. I do recall seeing their fresh eggs at MT Supermarket several months ago, so they might still carry them.