• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Griggstown Quail Farm's Chicken Potpie

Holly Moore

Several beer and wine pairings occur to me after enjoying this exceptional chicken pot pie (bought another one on Sunday, BTW, because the twins absoluteky love it too!):

Yards Saison

Yuengling Lager

Troegs Rugged Trail Brown Ale

Saranac Pumpkin Ale

a good dry French rose'

a dry Chenin Blanc perhaps?

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I see a Pot Pie Pot Luck Beverage Pairing Smackdown in our future.

Anyone? :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

i bought one of these last week. a couple of things:

1. the crust isn't a pie crust, it's an all-butter puff pastry top. so really andrew's critique isn't a issue of quality, it's a difference of opinion on pot pie technique. i make a better pie crust than that too, since it's not a pie crust the way i think of it. incidentally i'm with andrew on this one. being of fine upstate PA stock, i like dough on the top and bottom of my pie, not just on top.

2. i like the filling.

(edited: clarity)

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

I see a Pot Pie Pot Luck Beverage Pairing Smackdown in our future.

Anyone?  :biggrin:

!!!

I feel so at home in this thread. Because I can freely admit that I've got a problem. Baked up another one last night, had seconds tonight, and I'll finish it off tomorrow. I got my roommate hooked on them too. Is that bad?

The place is about an hour north. Does anybody have a deep freezer we can use to stock up?

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

• 2 years later...

Picked up another chicken potpie from Griggstown today at the Headhouse Market. Forgetting high school plane geometry, a course I liked so much I took it twice, I decided to try the five inch pie instead of the typical 10 inch pie I usually purchase. It sold for $9.50, about half the price of the 10 inch pie.

This evening, pulling the pie out of the carton en route to the oven, I realized just how small a 5" pie is. Then I did the math - or at least as much as I could.

(pi)r2

5" pie = 78 sq in of pie.

10" pie = 314 sq in of pie.

Wasn't sure how to extend the relative areas to volume - a cylinder is simple, but the pie's edge is tapered, so it is more the segment of a cone. Would have made me feel worse anyway.

Worked out to 12 cents a square inch for the 5" pie vs. 6 cents per square in for the 10" pie.

I ended up with half the pie value and no leftovers for tomorrow through Wednesday. Lesson learned.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Picked up another chicken potpie from Griggstown today at the Headhouse Market. Forgetting high school plane geometry, a course I liked so much I took it twice, I decided to try the five inch pie instead of the typical 10 inch pie I usually purchase. It sold for $9.50, about half the price of the 10 inch pie.

This evening, pulling the pie out of the carton en route to the oven, I realized just how small a 5" pie is. Then I did the math - or at least as much as I could.

(pi)r2

5" pie = 78 sq in of pie.

10" pie = 314 sq in of pie.

Wasn't sure how to extend the relative areas to volume - a cylinder is simple, but the pie's edge is tapered, so it is more the segment of a cone. Would have made me feel worse anyway.

Worked out to 12 cents a square inch for the 5" pie vs. 6 cents per square in for the 10" pie.

I ended up with half the pie value and no leftovers for tomorrow through Wednesday. Lesson learned.

Not to make you feel even worse, but a 5" pie has a 2.5" radius and a 10" has a 5" radius giving you:

5" pie = 20 sq in of pie (48¢/sq in)

10" pie = 78 sq in of pie (24¢/sq in)

Big time chicken pot pie lover here. So having read all the important information on pie size (thanks for doing all the work!), I went out yesterday and bought the large one. Found it in Swarthmore at the Coop grocery store. The smaller one was $12.50 and the larger was 19.xx. No brainer which to get.

Overall, it was very good - certainly better than any other bought chicken pot pie I've ever found. Super top crust. Liked the amount of peas (do love peas in a pot pie) and the hunks of chicken were excellent. What I didn't like so much was the lack of enough gravy. It was pretty dry. I guess I just like it a bit looser. I kept wanting to throw in a bit of stock to thin it out. I also thought it was a tad too salty. Didn't ruin it for me, but I would have put in a little less. I generally like things to be salty so that surprised me.

Because there are only the two of us (husband and I) we planned on leftovers for today. We managed to eat a little over half of it the first day so the rest went for lunches today. It did heat up okay in the microwave but the crust lost much of its crispness. And it got even drier than when originally baked. Have to figure out how to combat that.

I'll definitely pick up another but it's not going to stop me from making my own when I feel the urge.