• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foire aux Vins

Abra

I see lots of low prices at the Carrefour foire, but I have no idea what to buy. Can you guys post any great buys you've found at this year's foire aux vins?

For example, here's a website that makes certain selections, but I don't know whether it's a reliable source.

I see lots of low prices at the Carrefour foire, but I have no idea what to buy.  Can you guys post any great buys you've found at this year's foire aux vins?

For example, here's a website that makes certain selections, but I don't know whether it's a reliable source.

Abra, I seem to recall someone asking and answering the same thing last year. Have you tried to search for wine and price in the titles?

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Abra

Try some of the food & wine magazines. Several of them do extensive tastings of the wines offered by the big chains.

Or, use the Trader Joe's technique. A plastic cup & corkscrew in the car. Buy a few bottles that strike your fancy & do your own tasting in the car. Go back & buy what you like. We did this last year & ended up with a terrific bargain Corbiers.

This year we scored with a 2003 Buzet at Euro 2.50. Great? No, but everyday table wine Yes!

Thanks, Dave and Pti! It looks like one can buy from the Carrefour selection online, but I don't have a fidelity card so I can't see what they're offering. If anyone has the card, can view the list of wines, and sees some really good buys, please tell us about them.