• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet Avenue Bake Shop

Curlz

Some of you may remember reading a few posts on the Rutherford thread from the woman who was looking for a space in Rutherford for her new shop; yesterday I finally got a chance to stop in, and I thought the place deserved its own thread.

I got the last Pumpkin Spice cupcake, which had a delicious, not-too-sweet (crucial for someone like me-my sweet tooth is minimal), cream cheese frosting. It's not yet listed on the site's menu, but you can see a pic here on their blog page. The frosting was full of spice, and the cupcake was moist and again, not overly sweet. I'd prefer even more pumpkin flavor in the cake, but I'm a pumpkin freak! Personally, I can do without the sprinkles on top, but I do understand that these are cupcakes, and if that helps sell 'em, so be it. :smile:

The store itself is adorable; brightly lit, colorful, and spacious despite the fact that it's so tiny. From the moment you open the door, there's no question that this place is focused on cupcakes! You can look at their web page and see what I mean, or better yet, take a ride over there. The staff was friendly, and you can just tell that these people care about their product. Next time, I'm hoping they have the Orange Milana (far right, top row on the menu)!

Sweet Avenue Bake Shop

153 Park Avenue (on the block across the street from Ice Cream Charlie's)

Rutherford NJ

201.935.BAKE

Mon: Closed

Tue-Thu: 8am-7pm

Fri-Sat: 8am-9pm

Sun: 10am-6pm

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Aw man, that's just across the street from Cafe Matisse where we just ate. D:

S'MORES CUPCAKE, I am SO there at this place right after work today. My girlfriend has been overburdened and she deserves a cupcake.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Aw man, that's just across the street from Cafe Matisse where we just ate.  D: 

Same side of the street, actually...unless CM moved, that is. :wink: Enjoy!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

AND...right around the corner from Sabor Peru!

Correct! I picked up their menu, which looks really interesting. If anyone has been, please start a thread and post about the place, willya?!? :wink:

• 1 month later...
I was trolling another food site, and the web site for this spot is really piquing my interest for Thanksgiving.  I don't have a sweet tooth, but this might work out well for everyone else!

www.sweetavenuebakeshop.com

i've read about this place as well and my interest is piqued. what website has discussion?

My daughter coordinates a Vegan Thanksgiving dinner at Ramapo College and has ordered 200 cupcakes for Monday...I'll let you know after her event ....

Food will be from Veggie Heaven

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Stopped by today and really wasn't that impresed with the taste / quality of the cupcakes.

They sure looked nice, but a bit on the small side.

My friend and I each bought one. I had the yellow cake with chocolate icing and my friend had the pumpkin spice. The cake on each was a bit dry..

I won't be back..

My cupcakes are way better...lol

Sweet Avenue is profiled in today's NJ section of the Times.

Stopped by today and really wasn't that impresed with the taste  / quality of the cupcakes. 

They sure looked nice, but a bit on the small side.

My friend and I  each bought one.    I had the yellow cake with chocolate icing and my friend had the pumpkin spice. The cake on each was a bit dry..

I won't be back.. 

My cupcakes are way better...lol

I believe you on all of the above, but have to say that the cupcakes I've had from there were very moist. I do agree on the size factor, though I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing! Again, this is coming from a non-sweet freak. :raz: I'm curious to hear the report from Rooftop's daughter later this week, esp knowing that they have had the catering/mail order business in place for a while.

early word is ....amazing, Jess tried the choc/raspberry and loved it. The owners did the delivery and set up the towers themselves and stayed for the feast with the "kids" over 200 guests. Pictures coming soon.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

I love this site and love to read all of the posts on but this one really sparked me to make a comment. I went to Sweet Avenue over the weekend - we are huge cupcake people- and I am sorry but there is no comparison to the Stuffed Cupcakes from the Petite Cafe in Nutley. I have been eating them for well over a year. I have ordered them for all kinds of events. I have sent the mini Stuffed to my clients. The cupcakes are moist and very inventive and each of them are stuffed with all kinds of mousse and creams, some even have liquor. My personal favorites are the Red Velvet and the Butterscotch Hug, my husband is a huge Peanut Butter fan and he loves the Peanut Butter Delight. I love to go to the cafe to find out which cupcakes they have for the day. Well for what it is worth, I think this was just worth a mention.

I finally got the pictures... :rolleyes:

gallery_23695_426_3316.jpg

the cupcake tower at the Ramapo College Vegan Thanksgiving dinner

ttracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

Maxine

My Webpage

Despite wondering if the person who posted above about cupcakes from The Petite Cafe has a connection to the place, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that I had one of those cupcakes and a taste of another at my new favorite coffee house, The Fine Grind, and it was wonderful. REALLY wonderful. Click on that link for details.

We went here today and had a chocolate cupcake with dark chocolate frosting. It was good...but...so very small. I hoped the taste to be richer, but it was otherwise good. TOO small!! Just a little thing for 2$. Tom kept talking about Juniors cupcakes, and how big they are for the same price. He did say that this one was a bit tastier. Someone should leave a bigger cupcake pan on their doorstep.

We went here today and had a chocolate cupcake with dark chocolate frosting.  It was good...but...so very small.  I hoped the taste to be richer, but it was otherwise good.  TOO small!!  Just a little thing for 2$.  Tom kept talking about Juniors cupcakes, and how big they are for the same price.  He did say that this one was a bit tastier.  Someone should leave a bigger cupcake pan on their doorstep.

jwjojo,

That was exactly my thought...lol

They were nothing special, either..