• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best of Rockville?

foodgeek

I spend a lot of time in Rockville (although I'm based in NYC) and want some suggestions for good inexpensive ethnic eats there. Ok, if you have a non-ethnic suggestion, I'll take that too. Places w/ some wheat free options would be preferred. Areas very close to Rockville (by car =) would work as well.

I like Benjarong, Taste of Saigon, and Bombay Bistro. And bubble tea at Tenren (although i haven't tried the bakery w/bubble tea across from it.)

Thanks.

-Jason

I like the dim sum at A&J Restaurant in Rockville. It's in a shopping center across the street and a block south of Best Buy on the Pike. Plenty of wheatfree options. Let me know when you want to go and I'll gladly join you there.

If you like vegetarian Chinese eats, check out the best in the region: Vegetable Garden, also along the Pike, close to Nicholson Lane. All vegan mostly organic. Just don't order the gluten-based dishes. I'll also gladly go there any time. :biggrin:

Ba Le is a great little Vietnamese place with a terrific lemongrass pork bahn mi for $3.50, and plenty of rice dishes (I like the lemongrass pork with rice crepes) and other good food. It is on Rockville Pike just south of Wooten Pkwy.

Found a nice little Argentinean place called El Patio, on Twinbrook Pkwy. one short block from Rockville Pk. - inexpensive but wonderful slices of quiche, empanadas, plus sandwiches and other bakery items. Not necessarily wheat free, but worth a visit.

The Szechwan food at Joe's Noodle House is authentic, spicy and really tasty. It is on Rockville Pike in a little center just behind the On The Border restaurant (across from Woodmont CC). The lovely women who run this place will kindly ask you if you really want to venture into authentic Szechwan land when you order, and will bring forks to your table if you look like you need them. Otherwise, you are in good hands there - try the Triple Pepper Chicken, and fish filet over vegetables.

Yuan Fu Vegetarian Restaurant is another good choice. I am not vegetarian, but have really enjoyed their food. It is on Rockville Pike just north of Wooten Pkwy. (in a tiny strip center next to the Wendy's/Jiffy Lube).

I love the people at Vignola, in the shopping center on N. Washington St. with Magruders. They make their own fresh mozzarella, which makes a great sandwich with proscuitto (only about $4).

Bombay Bistro is a very good Indian restaurant - better than most in the area. I'm not a fan of the all-you-can-eat buffet in most places, but their luncheon buffet is quite fresh and varied. If you go for dinner, I think you'll also be happy. It is on West Montgomery St., in the center of old Rockville.

I am not a fan of modern "diners" (like Silver Diner), but I have found Broadway Diner to be quite good for some of their foods. Get their Greek specials - they are well cooked, homestyle foods that are a good value. Their pastries are actually fabulous!

If you want a fabulous piece of the freshest fish, try Mykonos (on Congressional Lane just off Rockville Pike). Not inexpensive, but their simply prepared fresh fish specials are worth it. A nice place.

Many things on the menu at Ambrosia (Rockville Pike just north of Twinbrook/Rollins) are so "regular", yet their Greek foods are pretty good and reasonably priced (if you order a turkey sub, you'll be dissapointed, though). The souvlaki is really quite good, and their daily specials are very homey and tasty. It's quite a different scene from the more upscale Mykonos, but you can get a huge plate of simmered lamb or short ribs for under $10. They are open for breakfast, too, and do a good job at it if you like the diner style foods.

Other ideas: Get a Cuban sub at Cuban Corner (on Hungerford); if you like fish, ask the guys at Cameron's which fish is freshest and get them to fry you up one of their platters.

If I think of other ideas, I'll post them!

Ba Le is a great little Vietnamese place with a terrific lemongrass pork bahn mi for $3.50, and plenty of rice dishes (I like the lemongrass pork with rice crepes) and other good food.  It is on Rockville Pike just south of Wooten Pkwy.

Found a nice little Argentinean place called El Patio, on Twinbrook Pkwy. one short block from Rockville Pk. - inexpensive but wonderful slices of quiche, empanadas, plus sandwiches and other bakery items.  Not necessarily wheat free, but worth a visit.

The Szechwan food at Joe's Noodle House is authentic, spicy and really tasty.  It is on Rockville Pike in a little center just behind the On The Border restaurant (across from Woodmont CC).  The lovely women who run this place will kindly ask you if you really want to venture into authentic Szechwan land when you order, and will bring forks to your table if you look like you need them.  Otherwise, you are in good hands there - try the Triple Pepper Chicken, and fish filet over vegetables. 

Yuan Fu Vegetarian Restaurant is another good choice.  I am not vegetarian, but have really enjoyed their food.  It is on Rockville Pike just north of Wooten Pkwy. (in a tiny strip center next to the Wendy's/Jiffy Lube).

I love the people at Vignola, in the shopping center on N. Washington St. with Magruders.  They make their own fresh mozzarella, which makes a great sandwich with proscuitto (only about $4).

Bombay Bistro is a very good Indian restaurant - better than most  in the area.  I'm not a fan of the all-you-can-eat buffet in most places, but their luncheon buffet is quite fresh and varied.  If you go for dinner, I think you'll also be happy.  It is on West Montgomery St., in the center of old Rockville.

I am not a fan of modern "diners" (like Silver Diner), but I have found  Broadway Diner to be quite good for some of their foods.  Get their Greek specials - they are well cooked, homestyle foods that are a good value.  Their  pastries are actually fabulous!

If you want a fabulous piece of the freshest fish, try Mykonos (on Congressional Lane just off Rockville Pike).  Not inexpensive, but their simply prepared fresh fish specials are worth it.  A nice place.

Many things on the menu at Ambrosia (Rockville Pike just north of Twinbrook/Rollins) are so "regular", yet their Greek foods are pretty good and reasonably priced (if you order a turkey sub, you'll be dissapointed, though).  The souvlaki is really quite good, and their daily specials are very homey and tasty.  It's quite a different scene from the more upscale Mykonos, but you can  get a huge plate of simmered lamb or short ribs for under $10.  They are open for breakfast, too, and do a good job at it if you like the diner style foods.

Other ideas:  Get a Cuban sub at Cuban Corner (on Hungerford); if you like fish, ask the guys at Cameron's which fish is freshest and get them to fry you up one of their platters.

If I think of  other  ideas,  I'll post  them!

Thanks for the help guys. :)

How expensive is Mykonos?

I've bought Italian groceries at Vignola. Its near that harvest bread company, right? yum! (I didn't say i was the wheat-free one.)

Argentine, eh? I love entrana w/chimichurri, and empanadas. :) There's a ton of it near me in NYC (Queens) though.

-Jason

• 3 weeks later...
And bubble tea at Tenren (although i haven't tried the bakery w/bubble tea across from it.)

Now I have tried the bubble tea at the Rockville Tenren and I-Cream/Maria's (the bakery across the street) back to back for comparative purposes. :)

The bubbles were better at I-cream, but the tea was weak...making IMHO Tenren the better bubble tea.

There is a handout at Tenren which is an article from Washingtonian listing different DC area bubble tea joints.

-Jason

• 2 months later...
Ba Le is a great little Vietnamese place with a terrific lemongrass pork bahn mi for $3.50, and plenty of rice dishes (I like the lemongrass pork with rice crepes) and other good food.  It is on Rockville Pike just south of Wooten Pkwy.

If you want a fabulous piece of the freshest fish, try Mykonos (on Congressional Lane just off Rockville Pike).  Not inexpensive, but their simply prepared fresh fish specials are worth it.  A nice place.

Tahnks again everyone for teh suggestions.

Update. I tried Ba Le's bahn mi. i enjoyed it, but dont have a reference to compare it to.

I liked mykonos. The fish was good, as was the eggplant spread. The place is one of our regulars now. :) Place gets real busy prime time though.

-Jason