• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Austin, one week in October

malarkey

I'm going to be spending a week in Austin at the end of October. I'm interested in finding the following things:

- The best places to buy fresh seafood, and to get an idea of the types of seafood available there.

- I'd love to visit a farmer's market while there also, and I think I remember hearing about one that is near downtown...? But I'm curious about which ones you think are the best.

- Any good asian grocery stores?

I've been to the Whole Foods and Central Market, so am familiar with those.

I will also hopefully get a few restaurant meals in. If I can have only one high end meal in town, where should I go? If I want interesting creative comfort food where should I go?

Thanks for your help!

Born Free, Now Expensive

Im not sure of the name, but there is a really great Korean market on the west side of N Lamar St just south of Airport Blvd. They have a Korean restaurant operating right next door that I assume gets their ingredients from the market.

Im not sure of the name, but there is a really great Korean market on the west side of N Lamar St just south of Airport Blvd. They have a Korean restaurant operating right next door that I assume gets their ingredients from the market.

For fresh seafood I'd say Quality Seafood on Airport Blvd or Central Mkt...there's a Farmer's Market right downtown (4th & Guadalupe) on Saturday mornings, but I think the Sunset Valley farmer's market (also Saturday mornings) is larger. MT Supermarket on North Lamar is a huge, relatively new asian market...if you head up there, there's a pretty good Chinese BBQ restaurant in the same shopping center.

For one high end meal...Uchi?? For something more affordable I like Enoteca on S. Congress next to Vespaio (Italian).

Hope this helps!

- The best places to buy fresh seafood, and to get an idea of the types of seafood available there.

Central Market North by far is the best. Quality Seafood (topic) is your second best option.

- I'd love to visit a farmer's market while there also, and I think I remember hearing about one that is near downtown...? But I'm curious about which ones you think are the best.

I agree with Walter. Also see [Austin] Groceries and farmer's markets.

Any good asian grocery stores?

MT Supermarket.

I will also hopefully get a few restaurant meals in. If I can have only one high end meal in town, where should I go? If I want interesting creative comfort food where should I go?

Uchi, Vespaio are all good choices but they're also the type of food you can get back home. Try Hudson's on the Bend for Southwestern-style wild game.

For comfort food, look no farther than Nubian Queen Lola's Cajun Kitchen.