• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fried zucchini blossoms

ned

I've been frying quite a few zucchini blossoms this summer. Stuffing them with herbed riccota that has an egg yolk and parmesan in it. I'm using a batter made from prosecco, flour, baking soda and an egg. I've varied the proportions of the batter, omitted the egg, messed around with oil temperatures ranging between 300 and 375.

I want a batter that is light in color and that will still crunch and hold up under the weight of the blossom. Instead, I'm getting too much color and not enough structure. Not sogginess but not snappiness either.

Any and all advice is welcome.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

I have found with the blossoms that my optimal result is a very bare coating with a crunch. If there is more than a skim of coating it is not going to "snap". We do it with rice flour and beer and a hint of cornmeal. The consistency is such that the flower seems almost not coated, but when they come out they are almost greaseless, have a crunch, and I can taste the essence of zucchini. I like (but have not tried) Mariana deBlasi's spraying them with a salt water mist.

If you're interested in searching him out, I believe transfattyacid on the Vancouver forum is a chef at Parkside which is one of my favourite restaurants. I have had amazing fried zucchini blossoms there and he may be able to give you some ideas. Unfortunately he hasn't been active since May this year but if you PM him, you never know :).

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden