• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dish racks (Dish Drainers)

Eden

OK so my current dishrack is old enough to vote :blush:

It's a battered old wooden folding rack from the 80s, sort of like this one, but it's extra long and got a very wide angle so it holds large items like 14" pot lids well. I've been trying off & on for years now to replace it, but nothing they make today seems to work as well. I'd love to get away from the wood to something more streamlined, but the metal & coated wire racks, like this one, don't have deep enough grooves to hold upright pieces like plates & lids securely, nor do they feel sturdy under the weight of my Le Creusets & cast iron pans... The new wooden ones have a much tighter angle and are often shorter as well, so I cant just buy the same model again. The classic tub shaped ones don't hold as much as the "X-wings" and also don't fit large items well.

I did some poking around on the web and found this design by SimpleHuman, but it's $50 which is an awful lot for a dishrack, and I'm not sure how sturdy it really is. Surely there must be a workable solution that doesn't cost so much?

I just had to duct tape together a corner on my old one so replacement is becoming urgent.

What's your favorite design & why?

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

If you have the space, I would get two racks, with different purposes.

I like (but don't have and haven't tested) this rack by Oggi. This could be your plates/lids/cups rack. If you notice the plates in the picture, the grooves look deeper, so it would hold your dishes more securely.

Then, I would get a larger version of this one for my pots. I prefer to have a flat surface for my pots. Actually, even the draining tray of Rubbermaid tub-type dish racks would work well, plus they have a slope for drainage.

I have one of those Rubbermaid tub types, though, and it holds everything including my Le Creuset pot. I'm single, though, so I don't usually have a lot of dishes in there.