• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nutritional Drinks

Malawry

Thanks, everybody, for the tips.

Fortunately, I switched chemotherapy regimens, and the new medication "cocktail" does not cause nausea! Hooray! So I'm "over the hump" on things for now, and never really got around to exploring beyond Carnation Instant Breakfast in the meantime.

Just echoing the "hooray"! I'm glad there's a better chemo regimen out there for you.

As Jamie Lee mentioned, most people find the nutritional drinks better tasting when they're well-chilled. I think Carnation Instant Breakfast was a decent choice for you- it was kept with all the other supplements at the hospital where I interned, and it seemed to be the most palatable choice for the people totally turned off by supplemental drinks who had needs similar to yours.

The other option that seemed most palatable is Resource Breeze (used to be Boost Breeze). To me, it was pretty close to simply tasting like fruit juice- didn't have the really viscous feel of many nutritional supplements. It doesn't have quite the same nutritional profile as the other "milkshake" type supplements, but people usually tolerated the Breeze pretty well. Link: Resource Breeze

In any case, I'm glad you don't have the need for this advice any more :wink: .....happy that you're feeling better!

ETA: Link to Breeze info.

Edited by Sony (log)

• 5 weeks later...

Over the years we've tried a number of things in my house but we always come back to Slimfast powder preferably chocolate malt. They quit carrying the regular stuff in our area awhile back and we've only been able to find the slimfast optima which has a bit much fiber for mom and not enough protein for me. Yesterday, we found a new high protein version out there. Got a can but haven't tried it yet. We have found Slimfast to have the most balanced nutrition without going too overboard in any one area.

Oh, and the tupperware quick shake container comes in handy with any kind of powder for getting it smooth. When I was really sick and not in the mood for dealing with doing dishes, I would just rinse and pop it in the fridge next to the milk for my next use.

http://catalogs.shoplocal.com/Tupperware/i...ircularid=11410

Edited by duckduck (log)

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."