• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to buy in Rome?

Gypsy Boy

We will be visiting Rome (for the first time, I'm embarrassed to admit) for a week or so in mid-November. One of the "souvenirs" I've decided that I'd like to return with are some bottles of liqueurs (or other spirits) that are rare or impossible to find here. Now, I've not done a lot of research to find out what's easily/readily available here, but my preliminary list includes the following:

Alpestre

Aperol (may be available here)

Borsci Elisir S. Marzano

Ebo Lebo

Genepy

Mirto di Sargdegna

Nucillo e curti

Petrus

Verdemela

I'm posting to ask for your experiences and recommendations. I don't have much knowledge of Italian spirits, though I'm pretty open to trying just about anything, taste-wise (though I must confess I've never developed a taste for grappa). What should I add to the list? Thanks.

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le goût de ce qu'elles sont."

Curnonsky (Maurice Edmond Sailland)