• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lisbon - interesting places for cocktails

I'll be visiting Lisbon in a few weeks with a friend, and was wondering whether there were any noteworthy "experimental" cocktail places there, similar to say the Lab Bar in London, or simply a place that does classics well.

I am very open minded, and I'd just like a relaxed and possibly exciting experience after dinner. My Portuguese is very bad. I'm a fan of very simple, short drinks (daiquiri, old fashioned, gin martini (quite wet :raz: ), a nice scotch on its own). I also like to try something new (e.g. replacing lime with passion fruit, thyme etc.) every so often. My friend prefers less powerfully flavoured, longer drinks (Tom/Pierre Collins) although she can be convinced to try a daiquiri.

We would only be around for the weekend (and in Estoril for 2 weekdays).

Any ideas, both for bars/restaurants and recommended drinks at those places?

Thanks in advance!

I can't remember any cocktail bars at all in Lisbon. There is a pretty lively warehouse district on the water, near the bridge just north of the old city center that is jam packed with bars and clubs. I didn't get to check it out, but that is where all the 'fun' happens. Everywhere else was wine/beer. I'm sure the Hard Rock in Lisbon makes cocktails, but I wouldn't get your hopes up about that place.