• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mandoline Closing

Lisa1349

From Craig La Ban's chat linked via foobooz:

Trisha: Unfortunately, Mandoline is not accepting reservations past this saturday and have been rather cryptic as to whether or not they will be reopening. With a few phone calls I have heard they are closing for renovation and do not know about reopening. Have any further insight? Thanks.

Craig: Well, on further research, Trisha, I'm sorry to report your suspicions are true. I just got off the phone with chef/owner, Todd Lean, who informed me that yes, this will be Mandoline's last Saturday night. Lean cited 'landlord issues' and the impending arrival of a second child with wife, Carrie, for the big change. The good news, though, is that he plans to transfer much of Mandoline's menu to his new gig as executive chef at Deuce, the gastropub in Northern Liberties. He starts Tuesday.

At least this is a restaurant I made it too this time, but very sad still. Good luck at Deuce, Chef Lean.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Like Lisa, I'm sad that Mandoline is closing. We had a truly lovely meal there together a while back. But I'm still glad there's somewhere we'll be able to go and eat Chef Lean's food. I've always liked Deuce, but I bet his take on the menu will only make it better.

Best of luck at Deuce, Todd. I'll be in to see you soon.

Lisa - Dinner and a movie?? :biggrin:

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

This is sad news, but I'm glad Todd was able to quickly make it to another place; I 've always found Todd to be a refreshing culinary voice, no pretense, just a sincere passion for cooking and hopsitality, and I cant wait to finally get to Duece to see what he cooks up.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I just want to say thank you to all egullet members who have dined at Mandoline. It was a very hard decision to make, but my family will always come first. This gives me a chance to concentrate more on the food and less on the front of the house. I know i have alot of work ahead of me at Deuce, but i feel as if it is a rebirth for me and the passion for food i once had. I had a dream to open my own restaurant one day and for that dream came true. I will leave Sat. with my head up high and know i did everything i could do to have a successful restaurant. I hope not to have anymore sleepless nights worrying about the business side of the restaurant. Oh i forgot i have a 17 month, what's sleep!

So much for going out on a quiet note

Thank You Again!

<span style='color:red'><i>Todd Lean

Email me

Todd,

Meg and I, along with our staff, thoroughly enjoyed all the meals we have had at Mandoline. You truly created a wonderful place with unique, creative food, all in a casual, non pretentious atmosphere.

We wish you all the best at your next endeavour.

Cheers,

Tom Hudson

Owner

Domaine Hudson wine bar & eatery

Wilmington, DE

Edited by Domaine (log)

Meg Hudson

Domaine Hudson wine bar & eatery

www.domainehudson.com

Todd, I must say I am sad to hear of your decision to close Mandoline. Along with others on this board, I really enjoyed your food and personal touches very much. I am happy I got to host the DDC dinner there a while back and somehow thought that would go a long way to introduce people to your cuisine. I'm also glad I got to bring my wife in that one Saturday night without reservation!

Looking forward to your rebirth at Deuce.

So much for going out on a quiet note

Thank You Again!

Nothing ever happens quietly in this small town, especially a restaurant so revered by eGers. And congrats on baby #2!

Katie:Dinner and a movie sound great, as long as we don't become the grim reapers of the restaurant world. Lets go eat at SSOH!

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Actually, perhaps Todd will have a bit more time with his family, now that he'll be working for someone else, rather than himself. And that's a good thing. Sleepless nights with an infant are expected. Sleepless nights over one's business are just bad.

Todd, here's to wishing you as much peaceful sleep as you can get with a baby (soon to be TWO) in the house.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'm sorry to hear that Mandoline's is closing. In fact, as soon as I heard I started calling to see if I could get 1 last meal there...but unfortunately I must have found out too late since no one is answering the phone.

Good luck Todd. Hope your time at Deuce is short & sweet and that your next Grand Opening will once again be in Philly!

Slainte!