• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday dinner for 5 in DC -Komi?

Hi all,

Just tried to get a reservation for 5 at Komi for my brother's birthday. But no luck, because they will not seat parties larger than 4--what's with that anyway? Tiny space?

Anyway, had wanted to try that restaurant after reading about it in Food and Wine best new chef's issue, but it seems we will need to make other arrangements (can't make the birthday party any smaller). (BTW--is the restaurant really as good as it sounds? Like worth going to if we have a night there with a smaller party?)

Does anyone have any thoughts on a great restaurant in DC that would seat a party of 5? Price is not really an object.

Thanks!

Anna

Hi all,

Just tried to get a reservation for 5 at Komi for my brother's birthday. But no luck, because they will not seat parties larger than 4--what's with that anyway? Tiny space?

Anyway, had wanted to try that restaurant after reading about it in Food and Wine best new chef's issue, but it seems we will need to make other arrangements (can't make the birthday party any smaller). (BTW--is the restaurant really as good as it sounds? Like worth going to if we have a night there with a smaller party?)

Does anyone have any thoughts on a great restaurant in DC that would seat a party of 5? Price is not really an object.

Thanks!

Anna

Well if you go to the previous year's Food and Wine Best New Chefs issue, you'll see we have another gem; Cathal Armstrong of Restaurant Eve. Eve has a Bistro and a Tasting Room. Top notch. They also own the PX, a cocktail lounge a a few blocks away.

Both are in Old Town Alexandria which is 8 miles south of DC along the Potomac River.

http://www.foodandwine.com/bestnewchefs/?y...EA825EB6A24DE33

http://restauranteve.com/

Hi all,

Thanks!

Anna

If price is no object, there are a number of spots to consider. What do you like?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Well if you go to the previous year's Food and Wine Best New Chefs issue, you'll see we have another gem; Cathal Armstrong of Restaurant Eve. Eve has a Bistro and a Tasting Room. Top notch. They also own the PX, a cocktail lounge a a few blocks away.

Both are in Old Town Alexandria which is 8 miles south of DC along the Potomac River.

Ah, unfortunately, we won't have a car (from their website, it didn't seem like they were near any public transport). We're all going to be in town for a piece of my brother's that's being played by the NSO, and coincidentally just after his birthday. So suggestions would be greatly appreciated for places that are Metro accessible or a reasonable cab ride.

Ah, unfortunately, we won't have a car (from their website, it didn't seem like they were near any public transport). We're all going to be in town for a piece of my brother's that's being played by the NSO, and coincidentally just after his birthday. So suggestions would be greatly appreciated for places that are Metro accessible or a reasonable cab ride.

What's the date? We're subscribers.

I'm assuming that you're not eating the same evening as the piece is being played. If you are, options are more limited. If not, my first thought is Marcel's, which is only about a 15 minute walk from the Kennedy Center. Unfussy but very high-level French-Belgian food.

I'm on the pavement

Doesn't Marcel's also have a bus to get you to the Kennedy Center gratis? I think they used to. Worth calling and asking about.

Mmmm, boudin blanc.

Doesn't Marcel's also have a bus to get you to the Kennedy Center gratis? I think they used to. Worth calling and asking about.

Mmmm, boudin blanc.

I believe you get two courses, a ride to the show, and then a ride back for dessert.

Given that they were looking at Komi, which can be an endless -- although, arguably, endlessly enjoyable -- dinner hour, I assume that they don't need tomake that type of arrangement.

I'm on the pavement

I'm assuming that you're not eating the same evening as the piece is being played. If you are, options are more limited.  If not, my first thought is Marcel's, which is only about a 15 minute walk from the Kennedy Center.  Unfussy but very high-level French-Belgian food.

It's next weekend's concert (the 4th, 5th, 6th); my brother is, of course, not Beethoven, but the other guy on the program :wink: If you have tickets for that concert, I think you will find the piece very interesting!

The birthday dinner will be on the 3rd (Wednesday), so no conflicts with the concerts. And, yes, a bit last minute, but I figure mid-week we shouldn't have much of a problem if I make a reservation in the next couple days...(well, here in Chicago we wouldn't have a problem, but I guess I don't know about DC). We've all been too busy to figure something out until now (I write this while on a research trip).

Again thanks for any other suggestions. We're all completely clueless about the DC dining scene.

There's a lot of restaurant talk here, including discussions of all the restaurants mentioned so far. Since price is no object, I'm assuming you're looking upscale (as you should be for such an event!). I had a dinner last year at CityZen that I thought was better than my meal at The French Laundry, where CityZen chef Eric Ziebold was Thomas Keller's sous. Michel Richard Citronelle is considered one of the best French Restaurants in the country and if you are into wine your are in for a treat: Mark Slater -- Citronelle sommelier and eGullent member marksommelier -- won this year's James Beard Award for his wine program (oh yeah, Michel Richard also won outstanding chef :laugh: ) and he's a big classical music fan. You might PM him if you decide to dine there, I'm sure he'd be delighted to make your night. And, while some have found the service less-than-gracious, I don't think anyone doubts that Palena's food is as good as any in town.

Sadly, my tickets are for the following weekend, but I wish your brother best of luck.

I'm on the pavement

Indeed. Quite small, not a lot of tables period and none large enough to go beyond the four-top. And yes, it's really that good, but chances of getting a table without a reservation are slim, due to the smallness.

Of course since the dinner is two nights away the decision has probably already been made... but I just noticed that OpenTable shows availability for a party of 5 at 7pm on Wednesday at Citronelle, which I've never been to but which is consistently rated among the city's top restaurants.

Wherever you go, have a great meal! And report back!

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

I'm assuming that you're not eating the same evening as the piece is being played. If you are, options are more limited.  If not, my first thought is Marcel's, which is only about a 15 minute walk from the Kennedy Center.  Unfussy but very high-level French-Belgian food.

It's next weekend's concert (the 4th, 5th, 6th); my brother is, of course, not Beethoven, but the other guy on the program :wink: If you have tickets for that concert, I think you will find the piece very interesting!

The birthday dinner will be on the 3rd (Wednesday), so no conflicts with the concerts. And, yes, a bit last minute, but I figure mid-week we shouldn't have much of a problem if I make a reservation in the next couple days...(well, here in Chicago we wouldn't have a problem, but I guess I don't know about DC). We've all been too busy to figure something out until now (I write this while on a research trip).

Again thanks for any other suggestions. We're all completely clueless about the DC dining scene.

Well, if the review in the Post wasn't entirely positive, your brother certainly came off better than Beethoven, or at Mahler. Like the reviewer, I hope we'll have a chance to hear from him again. Do post (or PM).

So, where did you go? How was it?

I'm on the pavement

We ended up going to Rasika for the birthday dinner which was lots of fun and very tasty! The atmosphere was good for a large birthday group, as we could be plenty boisterous without disturbing anyone given that it is quite a loud restaurant.

My brother and I did eat at Komi on Tuesday and that was a truly fabulous, memorable eating experience. We got the big tasting menu and while everything was superb, the roasted goat shoulder that comprised the main was among the best pieces of meat I have eaten anywhere ever.

Also ate at Central Michel Richard and Brasserie Beck on other nights, the former quite excellent, but huge portions; the latter had some problems (mainly with inconsistent service--foh not telling their servers what tableware should go with the various food items--and a very overcooked steak that was supposed to be as rare as possible), but a friend of my uncle's had commissioned the dessert chef there to make a birthday cake that was really quite spectacular.

If anyone's interested in my brother's music, you can hear some of it on his myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/jeffersonfriedman, and the string quartet #2 is available through Naxos (and iTunes). Next major performances are in Chicago (CSO) in June and New York (a chamber music festival) in April (I think).

Thanks everyone for suggestions for restaurants! The pages some of you linked to were also very helpful.

• 1 year later...

Michel Richard Citronelle can't be beat; it is my favorite dining experience of all time. It's also one of Gayot's Top 40 Restaurants in the US, along with CityZen.

Hi all,

Thanks!

Anna

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same experience at Komi. I actually went there in person and tried to negotiate a five top. They said that the kitchen just can't handle it. A shame, because it's my favourite in DC.

Given that, I would throw my hat in for CityZen. I'm in the minority, but I did not have a great experience at Citronelle. My thoughts are summed up pretty nicely by GAF in another post on the board (he reviews the same menu that I did, strangely enough). But CityZen is serving really clean, creative world class food and the value's better as well.

Michel Richard Citronelle can't be beat; it is my favorite dining experience of all time. It's also one of Gayot's Top 40 Restaurants in the US, along with CityZen.
Hi all,

Thanks!

Anna

Edited by Adrian3891 (log)

For those of you who have eaten at Komi, how is the degustazione menu structured? I am confused by the dinner menu available on the website (not the least of which because I can't actually read the handwriting).

I would like to try it, but $90 seems a little over-priced for a two-course tasting, unless I am reading the menu entirely wrong.

Before I went to Komi I had the same fear as well. But fear not, it's not a two course tasting. The "selection of mezzethakia" refers to upwards of seven or eight small, one or two bite items that are interesting, surprising and delicious. In a lot of ways, they're what made the restaurant for me (and the braised kid, and the olive oil gelato). The value is surprisingly good. In fact, I did not detect much difference in the volume of food between the $90 menu and the full tasting. Don't worry, it's worth it.

For those of you who have eaten at Komi, how is the degustazione menu structured?  I am confused by the dinner menu available on the website (not the least of which because I can't actually read the handwriting). 

I would like to try it, but $90 seems a little over-priced for a two-course tasting, unless I am reading the menu entirely wrong.

• 2 weeks later...