• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner?

sheo

My family is looking for a place to have a thanksgiving dinner with all the appropriate trimmings...my Mom's kitchen is in the middle of renovations and I'm not going to have time to do the dinner myself. Does anyone have any suggestions for a restaurant serving a good ol' turkey dinner? Price isn't an issue. Many thanks - I've been feeding my little brothers for weeks already and we all need a BREAK!

Sharon Regehr

Maple Hill Farms

Rare did not open for Thanksgiving dinner last year ~ would people be interested in a 'rare' take on the traditional dinner? I would love to put togeather a menu, but how much of the dining public actually goes out for dinner on this day ~ and is the traditional dinner eaten on the Sunday or Monday?

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Bistro Chez Michel does the same thing in Lonsdale...and it is brilliant, traditional and reasonably priced!

My question is; does anyone downtown care about thanksgiving diner and want a restaurant to celebrate in?

Are the hotels full? I would happily buy 5 - 6 turkeys and 'go to town' on them and present them in the 6 course Rare fashion; just think of all the great possibilities!

Brian.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Chef Fowke, I can only speak for myself, but I would love to see what you'd come up with. My previous experiences at Rare have been stellar; indeed, my Valentine's dinner at your restaurant this last year was probably the best meal I ate all year! And I eat at least 3 very good meals every week. I am always looking for new and exciting things to eat; however, when it comes to holiday/traditional meals, I'm torn between wanting to make the best "turkey dinner" I can, in the original style, or trying something new. Usually we have some of each. I think you'd be the guy to come up a nice combination of the two - you know, familiar flavours, new textures...sage, cranberries, stuffings, pumpkin, yams, nuts, potatoes - how can one go wrong?! I'm sure if word got out that Rare would be open for the holiday, you'd have people coming by.

Thank you, Barolo, for the hotel suggestions. We'll probably end up at one of those locations...(unless Rare does a dinner; that would be a no-brainer!).

Sharon Regehr

Maple Hill Farms

What I'd be interested in is Thanksgiving dinner served on the only real Thanksgiving Day: the fourth Thursday in November.  That's right, I said it.  I'll be celebrating Thanksgiving with the majority of North Americans and to heck with this October nonsense!  :raz:

You know it is ok to have two thanksgiving dinners. Actually if my budget allowed, I would go for three this year, taking Chef Fowke up on his offer

What I'd be interested in is Thanksgiving dinner served on the only real Thanksgiving Day: the fourth Thursday in November.  That's right, I said it.  I'll be celebrating Thanksgiving with the majority of North Americans and to heck with this October nonsense!   :raz:

You know it is ok to have two thanksgiving dinners. Actually if my budget allowed, I would go for three this year, taking Chef Fowke up on his offer

Exactly can one go wrong with having a beautiful roasted bird and all the trimmings!!! I'd have it once a week, especially if restaurants like Rare started doing their take on it, and if my waistline would allow it. :rolleyes:

"Dio non ha creato che l'aqua... l'uomo ha fatto il vino

-God created the water...man made the wine.

Do you deliver to Nanaimo? :smile:

We'll be up on one of the top floors with our two goldens overlooking the harbour but probably "room servicing" it as we'll have our two turkey loving golden retrievers with us.....................

Count down is on.... 8 more "sleeps" until "Tofino Time"....

Bistro Chez Michel does the same thing in Lonsdale...and it is brilliant, traditional and reasonably priced!

My question is; does anyone downtown care about thanksgiving diner and want a restaurant to celebrate in?

Are the hotels full? I would happily buy 5 - 6 turkeys and 'go to town' on them and present them in the 6 course Rare fashion; just think of all the great possibilities!

Brian.

IIRC, Brian..............you were lounging on my couch last year after a big feed, exclaiming how nice it was not to work on Thanksgiving!!

would you really want to do a turkey dinner at Rare, or perhaps just take the day off ?

Me, closed, full on turkey and a little nap.

Bliss.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

What I'd be interested in is Thanksgiving dinner served on the only real Thanksgiving Day: the fourth Thursday in November.  That's right, I said it.  I'll be celebrating Thanksgiving with the majority of North Americans and to heck with this October nonsense!  :raz:

Then come on down and lend a hand at our Community Meal in Richmond! We are having turkey dinner the last Thursday in November, and then we shut down for a month's break. There are usually lots of other community meals in December, and our volunteers could use some time out.

Dinner is at 5:30. Prep shift starts at 2. :-)

Karen Dar Woon

Chef Fowke, I can only speak for myself, but I would love to see what you'd come up with. My previous experiences at Rare have been stellar; indeed, my Valentine's dinner at your restaurant this last year was probably the best meal I ate all year!  And I eat at least 3 very good meals every week.  I am always looking for new and exciting things to eat; however, when it comes to holiday/traditional meals, I'm torn between wanting to make the best "turkey dinner" I can, in the original style, or trying something new.  Usually we have some of each.  I think you'd be the guy to come up a nice combination of the two - you know, familiar flavours, new textures...sage, cranberries, stuffings, pumpkin, yams, nuts, potatoes - how can one go wrong?!  I'm sure if word got out that Rare would be open for the holiday, you'd have people coming by. 

Thank you, Barolo, for the hotel suggestions.  We'll probably end up at one of those locations...(unless Rare does a dinner; that would be a no-brainer!).

We are going to have some fun at Rare and serve a Thanksgiving Tasting menu on Sunday night and close on Monday.

Metro is going to run a three course Thanksgiving menu on both Sunday and Monday, priced at $42'ish per person.

Menu are being worked on tonight, will post in the next few days ~ looking to use only local and seasonal, and do something a little different from the norm.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Somehow due to some bad negotiating on my part we're having a 12-person family thanksgiving at our place this year. I'm feeling a little trepidation and excitement at the same time.

This would be my first time preparing this big bird and I'm all excited about brining and stuffing. Not sure where to start but I believe a good food-grade bucket, a whole lotta salt (kosher?) and some brown sugar seems to be the general consensus. Something about covering it in foil too to prevent moisture loss. Time to pop over to the EG cooking thread and see if I can find some tasty ideas :biggrin:

Where is everyone BUYING their turkey that's my question.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I'm buying mine from Thrifty's, the Globe recommends Rossdown Market:

Rossdown Farm Market, located in the Fraser Valley, is the only family-operated, completely integrated poultry farm in British Columbia. The Wiebe family farm-gates free-range, hormone-free turkey, chicken and ducks.

Cheers,

Anne

I'm buying mine from Thrifty's, the Globe recommends Rossdown Market:
Rossdown Farm Market, located in the Fraser Valley, is the only family-operated, completely integrated poultry farm in British Columbia. The Wiebe family farm-gates free-range, hormone-free turkey, chicken and ducks.

Thanks Barolo,

I was actually going to buy from Thrifty's!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Just completed the Thanksgiving Menu for Metro!

Side note: Rare is going to open on the Sunday and will offer a 6 course Thanksgiving tasting menu at $65, but will be closed on Monday ~ sorry, if someone had reserved by now we would have been open!

The menu at Metro is completely compiled from a trip to Granville Market, very cool trip talking to the local producers...

METRO THANKSGIVING

1ST COURSE

PAN-SEARED DUCK LIVER

Okanagan harvest-grain crepe, apple birch molasses

OR

APPLE CONSOMMÉ

yams & milled pecans, mousseline

2ND COURSE

B.C. TURKEY TENDERLOIN MEDALION

potato pumpkin moussaka, brussel sprout petals

OR

PAN-SEARED SABLEFISH

scalloped turnip & celeriac, fennel stuffing

brown butter cider sauce

3RD COURSE

COUNTRY BUTTER TART

brown sugar crumble, walnut ice cream

OR

APPLE BREAD PUDDING

caramelized sugar, vanilla ice cream

$42

THIRSTY HARVEST

fresh muddled red currents, dark rum, amaretto

$10

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Sorry, I had to contact a few suppliers before I finalized the menu. Here it is:

Thanksgiving at Rare

Oyster Custard

potato chive tuile ~ apple-horseradish salad

Crispy Sweetbreads

chanterelle puree ~ arugula ~ honey vinegar reduction

Elk & Sour Cherry Pate

espelette onions ~ flax crostini

Yam & Sausage Risotto Cake

sauteed chard ~ cranberry relish

Brined Truffled Turkey Breast

sage gnocchi ~ chestnut puree

Pumpkin Mousse

vanilla-bourbon waffle ~ birch syrup ~ hazelnut crunch

(sorry about the accents, I don't know the hotkeys for them on a P.C.)

That is Sunday's Menu. As stated, we will be closed on Monday to spend time with our families. Thank you for your interest.

...very busy weekend in Vancouver! Looks like we are going to have to close the reservations at Rare (may be a few tables left online through our website) for Sunday. Metro still has room on Sunday but is quickly filling up for Monday.

I apologize to everyone in advance who does not get to try the elk pate!!! It sat under 10lbs of kosher salt all night; and Colleen has again produced a brilliant terrine!

At Metro, I am amazed by the complexity of the apple consomme ~ all the apples from the Okanagan. Very well balanced. Mains ~ the Sable fish is the star, not to take away from the turkey, but all I smelled all day was turkey confit cooking...(and I nibbled, nibbled AND nibbled ~ I have had my fill of turkey and it is only Saturday!!!)

Chef/Owner/Teacher

I am officially a Brined Turkey Convert. I will never eat an unbrined turkey again. My GAWED it was awesome.