• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Business Dinner Venue

I'm looking for a great venue to entertain clients in Seattle. They are all men in their early 30s from Vancouver.

Would appreciate your suggestions for a venue that has great food, an even better atmosphere for entertaining, and is located either in downtown Seattle or Bellevue.

I've looked at Tavolata and Union online but have tried. Tavolata looks like an interesting room. Union looks a tad too upscale (quiet and catering to the romantics in the room)?

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Edited by urbandiner (log)

I would say Union for sure, I don't find the interior romantic- Tavolata is very loud and the dishes are meant to be shared- not my idea of a business dinner.

Crush is also a good place for business associates. Dahlia Lounge is usually another well received, as is Matt's in the Market, Cafe Campagne, Palace Kitchen and even Crow.

These are just MHO as someone who has done a lot of those business events.

I would say Union for sure, I don't find the interior romantic- Tavolata is very loud and the dishes are meant to be shared- not my idea of a business dinner.

Crush is also a good place for business associates. Dahlia Lounge is usually another well received, as is Matt's in the Market, Cafe Campagne, Palace Kitchen and even Crow.

These are just MHO as someone who has done a lot of those business events.

Thanks for the tip on Tavolata. I like that Crush has a diverse menu and Dahlia Lounge looks good too. I'll check out the other places online as well.

I thought Crush was deafeningly loud when I was there recently.

What about Steelhead?

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I thought Crush was deafeningly loud when I was there recently.

What about Steelhead?

I like Steelhead but the last time I went with 4 business associates we had painfully slow service and our dinner took 4 hours!!!! yikes!

I've always sat upstairs at Crush.... I thought noise was normal- is this where you sat? was I there and talking incredibly loud again?? :laugh:

I've always sat upstairs at Crush.... I thought noise was normal- is this where you sat? was I there and talking incredibly loud again??  :laugh:

No, I sat downstairs in the front room, there were two loud tables, but I don't believe you were at either. :wink:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

How many people are you planning this for? 

Rocky

Approximately 12 people.

Crush looks like a viable option. I'm not too concerned about the noise because we have a big group and will likely be the noisy bunch!

This isn't meant to be a formal dinner to "do business", more a social gathering to get-to-know each other.

Thanks to all for your suggestions so far!

Union would actually be great for this then, or if you could get the mezzanine at Tavolata that would work great as well. Boat St Cafe has a room that you could use as well and they just put in a full bar. I'll post more if I think of them.

Rocky

I'm looking for a great venue to entertain clients in Seattle. They are all men in their early 30s from Vancouver.

Would appreciate your suggestions for a venue that has great food, an even better atmosphere for entertaining, and is located either in downtown Seattle or Bellevue.

I've looked at Tavolata and Union online but have tried. Tavolata looks like an interesting room. Union looks a tad too upscale (quiet and catering to the romantics in the room)?

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

I think if I was entertaining that many youngish men I would opt for Joey's at Lake Union :biggrin: Good looking waitstaff and a veiw of lake union - but I believe they are based in Canada.

I wouldn't go to Matt's even though the food and the view are great, I've found with groups that the menu is too small.

If its an expense acct dinner I'd consider Daniel's or the Waterfront. Otherwise I like Dahlia or Union.

cburnsi

Just back to Vancouver, from a weekend trip to Seattle. We had dinner on Saturday at Steelhead, and it was great. We will certainly be going back. We sat at the chef's counter and had a great view of the goings-on. Told them upon sitting that we were on a tight schedule, as we had the ballet to attend at 7:30. Great food, fab service, and very reasonably priced. They have a private seating area that may be just right for your "get to know each other" evening. Have fum/

So many suggestions, so little time!

Generally, Union has had the most positive response so I'm going with that venue.

The others, however, I plan to visit in the near future. Thanks for your suggestions--it's helpful when you don't know the city inside-out.

Cheers.