• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thomas Keller doing frozen food

jgm

I agree that it was not better than home made. It seemed to be along the lines of what you get when you make the chicken stock recipe in the FL Cookbook; a light, "clean-flavored" chicken stock, and if I remember correctly, with no salt. The flavorings were consistent with what is in the recipe and I found it to be a good store-bought chicken stock.

Aside from being the only unsalted chicken stock I've found, it also had a good amount of body to it. I haven't found a lot of canned, boxed, or other commercial stock that didn't lack considerably in the gelatin department. The FL stock, though fairly light in color, was meaty. The unsalted stock could also be reduced far beyond the point at which other stocks would be rendered unusable.

The one I remember buying was in a blue plastic tub, used the FL name along with the clothespin logo, and it was sold in the frozen section at Andronico's.

Exactly -- how are mass producers making this without the gelatin?

I got mine at a Whole Foods but hadn't seen it anywhere else.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

The main issue for me is 'Does it taste good?' If Keller's putting his name to something crummy, I consider that a sell-out and it lowers my opinion of him as a chef (like he cares, but anyway.) If it tastes good, or at least is a worthwhile compromise for the time saved, bring it on.