• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cook Chill information

godito

I did a small search but no results came. Sorry If I was a bit impatient and there's a topic on this subject already...

However, my question is:

I'm planning a cook-chill business (basically, cook food and cool it rapidly, getting it ready for storage, distribution and then re-heating). Now, I know some things about the process, but I've never worked in anything like this. Now, it's not like I have time to apply and work for a large catering service, or a hospital o whatever (because I already own a restaurant). Still, I'd like find out more about the pocesses involved before I start getting into more time (and cash) consuming stages of the planning.

Does anybody know where can I find a lot of information on the subject? Anybody out there worked with blast chillers and such? Any advice?

Thanks!

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

Not sure where you're located but in my region there are two different state universities that include a Food Technology department in their course offerings. One of those (SUNY Morrisville) actually has a satellite operation that provides guidance and even services to individuals or small business with a food product they wish to develop, produce, package and market.

Their service encompass the full range from optimizing recipes and prep methods for large scale production to packaging, labeling etc. That may not be exactly what you're looking for but any decent 2 year or 4 year state college in a region with some agricultural activity will have a food program that can offer advice - at a minimum.