• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blowfish

guru

I recently bought some blowfish and tried serving it different ways close to what i would do with monkfish. My fish supplier couldn't share any information about it. I just know that it came from N.Y. (i'm in Montreal).Does anyone have something for me on that little critter?

Seasoned flour and fry like chicken (I'm assuming you have filets with the tail and cartiliginous backbone attached), then eat like corn on the cob.

edit:Pop and I used to fish these things by the dozen off the manasquan inlet in NJ. They're a type of puffer.

Nick

When I was a little girl, my father and I used to fish for blowfish at Long Beach, Sag Harbor. When you reel them in, they puff up -- I remember being morbidly fascinated by them, but they were delicious. My mother cooked them exactly as you do. We used to eat them with fresh corn on the cob.

There's a fish stand at the Union Square Greenmarket on Mondays (not sure of other days) that sometimes has blowfish.

I concur~

bread and fry. Never heard of leaving them on the cartilage (elaborate please?) though if I understood right. When we had some caught wed do them on Friday nights in lieu of meat. The Eastern Orthodox do that too.

Used to get our in Shinnecock Bay.

somehow though I like the idea of doing them with corn on the cob better than with pasta all these years...but recently my Italian Captain clued me in on Italian restaurants that are now serving fish of various kinds with pasta and red sauce.

So pop might justve been ahead of his time.

Go figure.

I'm assuming you have only the blowfish tails. Not much else is edible. Anyhoo, lightly flour them in flour that has been spiced the way you like it. I sometimes use Greek seasoning in mine; sometimes I use Cajun. Saute them with garlic (I like lots but put as much as you want) and butter in an immensely hot pan. Squeeze on some fresh lemon juice just before serving. Dig in and enjoy.

• 4 months later...

Interesting piece on Morning Edition today. Here's the on-line version, which has some good links.

We used to get these at the Italian Market in Philadelphia for our traditional Christmas Eve multi-fish dinner. Closest taste equivalence is frog legs, I think.

I find it interesting that restaurants have to be licensed, but anybody can pick these up (or catch 'em) and cook 'em themselves. Since the fish is already prepped by the time it reaches the restaurant, who's being protected?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

The puffers from the US east coast are not toxic like the Asian variety prepared as Fugu. My uncle and brother used to catch them by the bushel basket in Barnegat Bay. My uncle would fillet them and freeze what we did not cook that day.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

From folks I've known who tried it the texture and flavor are totally unremarkable. No unusual sensations either, apparently you detect nothing unusual... or you die.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Yeah, Bourdain wasn't keen on it and the local writers weren't too keen on it either. But at least I'll be able to say that I've eaten it!

I've already had a portion of flounder that supposedly has the same texture as fugu but it also has flavor. It was from the perimeter of the fish, but the main dorsal fin. Man, that was really tasty.

Edited by col klink (log)

What are the prices charged for Fugu in the establishment you are going to?

For a sashimi platter it's $80 and for the hotpot it's $90 both of which need reservations. Nigiri however is only $12 and can be ordered any time.

Does anyone know of another place in the States that servers fugu? Is it readily available in New York?

What are the prices charged for Fugu in the establishment you are going to?

For a sashimi platter it's $80 and for the hotpot it's $90 both of which need reservations. Nigiri however is only $12 and can be ordered any time.

Does anyone know of another place in the States that servers fugu? Is it readily available in New York?

Apparently, reservations are required because the fugu has to be thawed. It's flash frozen after being cleaned.

Restaurants that serve fugu:

Blow me.

Edited by Dave the Cook (log)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Ahh, I will be going to the last one on the list, Shiki and will be served by this guy:

yamamoto.jpg

I've been there before, but it wasn't fugu season at the time. I had asked for omakase but all he gave me was nigiri. Granted they were all very good, but it kind of defeated the purpose of ordering omakase. Luckily, Ken has a tank of fresh sweet shrimp on the bar and when I had some, the tail was still twitching. It was single-handedly the best sweet shrimp of my life. I also appreciated the terrarium of live sawagani too.

If you can, ask for fugu-infused sake. This is sake that's been warmed slightly, and that's had a tiny bit of fugu macerating in the liquid. Supposedly, when done right, you're supposed to get a slightly mouth-numbing sensation when the sake is imbibed.

I can't remember where I read up on this, so it could be just an urban legend (of sorts).

SA

Ginza Sushi-Ko in LA has blowfish...It does provide a minimal tingling sensation on one's lips (at least it did to me)...and, not only is the texture like flounder fin (but a little tougher-they sliced it very thin when I had it-basically transparent), but, it tastes very much like it.