• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cru Beujolais

Michael M

I love this stuff, yet rarely find much of it locally. I'd love to have a list of good producers to carry around whenever I happen to run into it. In general, I'd trust anything imported by Lynch or Rosenthal, but are there some favorites out there?

Thanks!

some names i've enjoyed:

domaine vissoux, pierre chermette imported by weygandt-metzler.

georges descombes, terres dorees (jean-paul brun), michael tete, all imported by dressner.

pasacal granger imported by (i believe) rosenthal.

The four small producers most recognizable (mainly due to the wine press) are Marcel LaPierre, Guy Breton, Jean Foillard and Jean-Paul Thevenet. This “gang of four” regularly gets high 80 and low 90 point ratings from Parker and others.

Other producers of note are Dom. Vissoux, Louis Jadot, Jean-Paul Brun, Diochon, Paul Janin, Michael Chignard, Dominique Piron, Chat. Thixin, Dom. Dupeuble, Dom. de la Voute des Crozes, Jean Calot, Pierre et Paul Durdilly, Dom. du Granit, Alain Michaud, Devignes, Savoye, Chanrion, Tete, Jacky Janodet, Souchons, Georges Viornery, Laurent Martray and Jean-Paul Ruet. I have also had excellent and age-worthy Fleuries from Coudert a/k/a Clos de la Roilette.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

I'm all for Jim's suggestions.  I would, however, suggest that with a bit of dilegence one can also find some finr cru Beaujolais wines from Georges Duboeuf.

The GEORGES DUBOEUF MORGON JEAN DESCOMBES is pretty good stuff and quite reasonably priced ($13.99 here in PA).

[Edited to add price]

Edited by doviakw (log)

Hello all, I'm new to eG, and thought I'd toss my hat in the ring.

Recently, I've really loved Jean Marc Burgaud's single vineyard Morgon Cote du Py. One of the most structured Beaujolais I've come across. It really seems like it could use a little time in bottle to soften and integrate.

Also, on the plain ol' Beaujolais level, the Domaine Terres Dorees Beaujolais L'Ancienne Vielle Vignes from J.P. Brun. Really affordable at $10-$12 a bottle

And another Duboeuf bottling to keep an eye out for (though I sometimes find his wines sweet and candy-like) is his Domaine des Quatre Vents from Fleurie.

Edited by Vin Ordinaire (log)