• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Online butchery

brendan mc aleer

Brendon,

The University of Nebraska has two really good websites. These include fabrication demonstrations.

U of Nebraska Bovine Myology

If you look at the frabrication videos, the shoulder clod separation shows how to remove the top blade roast from the shoulder. The top blade trim shows how to separate the top blade roast into two flat iron steaks.

U of Nebraska Porcine Myology

Tim

Edited by tim (log)

Tim,

Those are two VERY cool websites.

Thanks.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

• 9 years later...

Perhaps not quite the correct thread but rather than start a new one I'm going with this.

From the Eat Your Books website, a cool link to a very informative demo of amazing butchery and an explanation of the various cuts from a side of beef.  One must endure the advertisement for Rice Krispies before being able to see the video...a small price to pay.

http://www.bonappetit.com/story/every-cut-of-steak-explained

• Like 2

Hmm... No ads, but I had to unmute the sound. I do run Ad Block software.

Awesome video @Okanagancook! Well-cooked beef is my favorite protein. I love a lot of others, like lobster, shrimp, trout, nice lamb ... , but you just can't beat skirt steak, rib eye or even a good cut from the chuck in my book. 

It is just me, or does anyone else think that the cuts from the round would be much better without "cleaning"? They had what looked like a nice cap of fat. Perhaps it also has silverskin or something that necessitates taking off the fat, but it looked like ruining it to me. Was that an unusually fatty beef side of is that pretty normal? 

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <