• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reports on Hong Kong dining

Sinbad

I love the street scenes too. HK is so utterly full to the brim with life. This is my view from bed; I lie here and look out and think of all the lives going on in those buildings, the love stories, the peaceful families, the lives of quiet heartbreak and desperation..all of it.

IMG_9238.JPG

Anyway, re food; a tiny light dinner tonight at Xin Dau Ji.

Pidan/century eggs with pickled ginger:

IMG_9586.JPG

Suckling pig:

IMG_9585.JPG

Crisp-skinned soy sauce chicken:

IMG_9582.JPG

Oyster, green onion and ginger hotpot:

IMG_9581.JPG

Crab, conpoy (dried scallop) and egg white fried rice:

IMG_9583.JPG

An elegant sufficiency.

• Like 12

On 11/15/2016 at 3:47 PM, rarerollingobject said:

Amazing dinner at The Chairman in Central last night, the star of the meal being a heart-stoppingly delicious steamed flowery crab with aged Shaohsing wine and chicken oil and fresh flat rice noodles..would drink sauce with spoon, and did (the waiters nodded approvingly.)

Other things; crispy crab meat and mushroom dumplings:

IMG_9487.JPG

Crispy Sichuan lamb belly with zucchini ribbons and coriander:

IMG_9488.JPG

IMG_9489.JPG

THAT CRAB:

IMG_9490.JPG

IMG_9491.JPG

Long-braised and then deep-fried and glazed spareribs with preserved plum and caramelised Chinkiang black vinegar:

IMG_9492.JPG

Ginger gailan:

IMG_9494.JPG

Fried rice with fresh prawns, dried prawns and prawn paste (SO UMAMI):

IMG_9493.JPG

Wolfberry ice cream and hot sweet almond milk tea:

IMG_9495.JPG

Thought all that was very good value for AUD$100 (US$80).

Then on the way home I swung by City Super to clear out their stocks of Lu biscuits (my friend's kid is obsessed with them, you can't get them in Australia, so I buy them for her whenever I travel):

IMG_9453.JPG

And gawk at their mind-boggling oyster selection: 

It looks as though the gailan above has been peeled. Is that a thing in HK?

@catdaddy, maybe just this place because it's fancy. It did make them incredibly tender.

Anyway, last meal in HK; more dim sum:

IMG_9592.JPG

IMG_9593.JPG

IMG_9612.JPG

IMG_9613.JPG

IMG_9608.JPG

IMG_9609.JPG

IMG_9610.JPG

IMG_9611.JPG

IMG_9614.JPG

IMG_9615.JPG

And now I'm in Seoul, so over to that mildly-offensively named 'Elsewhere in Asia' forum! Starting here: https://forums.egullet.org/topic/13019-dining-in-seoul/?do=findComment&comment=2081329

Thanks for all your comments and questions. It makes it much more motivating to post to know that someone's reading!

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 9

Thanks for posting the photos. I think I'll be making dumplings and lotus leaf packs this weekend.

I'll be following the Seoul thread although I'm not as familiar with Korean cuisine as I am with Cantonese.

Cheers.

• Like 2

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

Great report, thanks for sharing!

I haven't been back to HK for almost three decades, even though one of my parents is from there.  Hoping to make a visit soon - I'm sure a lot has changed since then!

• Like 1

Thank you, @rarerollingobject!  I very much enjoyed this series with your beautiful photos.  The street scenes, in particular, bring back good memories of trips where I tagged along with a friend who grew up in Hong Kong.  She generally spent the days catching up with friends and family so I had my days free to explore the city with my maps and book of walking tours and my trusty Octopus card, joining them at the end of the day for dinner.  So much to see!  So much to eat!    

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/18/2008 at 4:43 PM, Ling said:

deliciously fatty char siu

2269313695_ce92386fd5.jpg

Thanks! It's interesting that it's served in a sauce and it doesn't have that red color that you see in so much of it. Just looking at it makes my mouth water. I've got to make some this week and try making a sauce for it.

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Thanks! It's interesting that it's served in a sauce and it doesn't have that red color that you see in so much of it. Just looking at it makes my mouth water. I've got to make some this week and try making a sauce for it.

It is often dyed with food colouring in the west. It isn't here.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Isn't there also some sort of red bean sauce that they use as a red food coloring for this?

Sometimes it is marinated in red bean sauce before roasting, yes. Alternatively a red yeast, Monascus purpureus which grows on some varieties of rice can be used. But they don't have that vivid dayglo red colour I see in western countries.

This is what I have at the moment.

charsiu.thumb.jpg.2973143b486684ca0ba57c66b543d62a.jpg

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto