• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reports on Hong Kong dining

Sinbad

Is the Hawaiian Teahouse that good? I passed by it a couple of times, but didn't know...  List for next time...

I happen to be in that area a lot because I buy most of my computer stuff at the Wanchai Computer Centre. All I eat and drink at Honolulu are egg tarts and panty hose teas. Coffee isn't bad either. Very rich and flavorful. Ah Leung, I think you'd like it. That day I actually had an egg tart and coffee at 11:30, and then my buddy called and wanted to have dim sum, so we went to Lei Garden. After walking around after dim sum, we went to have another egg tart and ngai cha as a mid-afternoon snack. I'm full just thinking about it, lol.

They also have siu mei and other cha chaan taeng items, but never tried it. Service is a little gruff with lifelong waiters, etc., who would never pass any health dept codes but who the heck cares? That's the beauty of the place.

They also have siu mei and other cha chaan taeng items, but never tried it.  Service is a little gruff with lifelong waiters, etc., who would never pass any health dept codes but who the heck cares?  That's the beauty of the place.

I hear you. I grew up in these kinds of environments so I would feel just like home! It's the days like those we ate at Farm House that I felt really uncomfortable... never had 5 waitstaffs by my side attending to everything! LOL. :laugh::laugh:

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I finally made it out to Farmhouse and checked out their new digs - and I know it sounds picky - but I came away a little disappointed. A little more cramped - dining there now feels less expansive. But more importanly - the food seemed a little off - a little less lively and less attention to detail. Not sure if its on my 'must go to' list anymore.

Though nice - the chicken wings seemed a little dry.

gallery_25348_5561_5451.jpggallery_25348_5561_85195.jpg

I ordered the steamed eggs, pork jowl with perserved vegetables, and soup also - all a little flat. What saved the meal was the incredible steamed papaya with coconut milk. Finally something that made the table go 'aaahhhhhh'. Fantastic.

gallery_25348_5561_55247.jpggallery_25348_5561_102313.jpg

God, I hope it's a one-off bad (or rather, mediocre) meal at Farm House. I've always found it such a dependable place - one of the restaurants I don't think about for several months then someone comes to visit and suggests a meal there, and it's as good as ever.

Have you ever tried a place called Sky View in Causeway Bay near Times Square? That's one of my new favourite places; I took my relatives there and even they loved it!

aprilmei - I hoping Farmhouse turns it around also, but I've heard the same thing from a number of people. It's not that the food is terrible - but things are not as spot on as it should be (considering the prices and reputation of the place). I wonder if the restaurant has changed hands.

Ce'nedra - the wings are a signiture dish at Farmhouse - usually stuffed with plump sticky rice - but this time, the stuffing was stringy and drier. Not sure if this is a winter menu change - but not as succulent as I remember.

*sigh

It was nice to hit Victoria Harbour at SHK. I really love their flower crab with chinese wine and their xia long bao with hairy crab roe. What I think really makes those dishes is the vinegar they use... it is thicker and stronger than normal chekiang vinegar - not sure if they doctor it, or if they have a special source.

Started with a plate of pei dan (century eggs) - hated them as a kid, love them now. Glorious xiao long bao.

gallery_25348_5561_76535.jpggallery_25348_5561_57210.jpg

Flower crab - golden sauce of chinese wine and chicken fat (there must be eggs also - otherwise it would have too greasy.

gallery_25348_5561_88461.jpggallery_25348_5561_78859.jpg

The sauce was tossed with e-mein - delicious!

gallery_25348_5561_22027.jpg

Went to a great dai pai dong off of the Central escalator. Apparently - this dai pai dong got the last licence and there will no further ones granted. They are famous for their HK style coffee.

How do they fit so many people into such a tight spot!

gallery_25348_5561_79742.jpggallery_25348_5561_80531.jpg

Great iced coffee, jam and peanut butter toast. Pork chop bun - surprisingly good.

gallery_25348_5561_92824.jpggallery_25348_5561_10553.jpg

These little dai pai dongs are such a part of the HK streetscape... it will be strange to see them slowly disappear.

Visited Tai-O over the weekend - billed as the Venice of Hong Kong - which is pretty misleading. Much more rustic - and much more real, it was a great way to see rural life in Hong Kong, and how people continue to lead simpler lives in the midst of Hong Kong's frenzy.

gallery_25348_5561_22337.jpggallery_25348_5561_10305.jpg

Had some delicous grilled dried cuttlefish and 'pissing' shrimp

gallery_25348_5561_99948.jpggallery_25348_5561_98999.jpg

gallery_25348_5561_24659.jpg

And some simple sweets of hand pulled sugar. The little guy is enjoying something that looked like a sticky 'goh' or cake.

gallery_25348_5561_51246.jpggallery_25348_5561_91155.jpg

gallery_25348_5561_44260.jpg

Well that's about it from me - I heading to Japan for a few days, and then leaving for Vancouver pretty soon after that. I really enjoy visiting HK - and thanks to all of you for letting me sound off.

Later!

The little boy eating the sweet off the stick, is that like a taffy? I seem to remember eating something like that years ago :smile:

What other cuisine would have a dish called "pissing shrimp"! :laugh:

Thanks for letting me share in your feeding frenzy. :wub:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

How do they fit so many people into such a tight spot!

gallery_25348_5561_79742.jpg

You know... in the old days, dai pei dong patrons used to sit on one of those small 4-legged stolls (in the center of the picture) on top of the big 4-legged A-frame stoll. 3 people eating in front of the dai pei dong. Quite a scene.

(Most Chinese are used to and are comfortable with crouching down.)

And some simple sweets of hand pulled sugar.  The little guy is enjoying something that looked like a sticky 'goh' or cake.

The sugar is malt sugar. The boy was eating the malt sugar on a stick. Malt sugar is sold in the US/Canada Asian markets too, in plastic jars. In room temperature it is a bit hard and sticky. Heat it up and it will turn soft.

Putting melted malt sugar between two crackers... that's a good old treat for kids.

Have a good trip Lee! Thanks for the photos!

Pissing shrimp: the name came from the yellow belly of the shrimp, I believe... which resembles you-know-what. That's just psychological. There is no funny taste to the shrimp. But they are not my favorite because they are too "shelly" - too many sharp shells, not enough meat.

I don't post much but I am on my way to HK today and will report back what I end up eating - I can't promise it will be as interesting as Ah Leung's but I hope it will be of some interest to you all - I just have to learn to hold the camera steady when all I want to do is dive in and eat.... on my facebook page are some pictures of a previous trip

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1235...a2&id=605007723

I don't post much but I am on my way to HK today and will report back what I end up eating - I can't promise it will be as interesting as Ah Leung's but I hope it will be of some interest to you all - I just have to learn to hold the camera steady when all I want to do is dive in  and eat.... on my facebook page are some pictures of a previous trip

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1235...a2&id=605007723

great thanks! Looking forward to your pictures!

Hope you can upload your pics here as opposed to facebook

Late breakfast or early lunch 10.30am at a 'chop' house on Peel Street - nothing fancy here - lots of takeaway duck, chicken and chau siu while I was there

gallery_57445_5410_122409.jpg

gallery_57445_5410_133871.jpg

gallery_57445_5410_54886.jpg

gallery_57445_5410_139179.jpg

nice use of the common cabbage as a green vegetable in the chausiu fan

Further down - near Lyndhurst Terrace and Graham Street - local food market with some nice sea food..... vegetable sellers and butchers....

gallery_57445_5410_13468.jpg

gallery_57445_5410_133773.jpg

gallery_57445_5410_66280.jpg

gallery_57445_5410_121837.jpg

gallery_57445_5410_166248.jpg

I love this style of aubergine - I can only get it at China Town in London - but never as long and as nice as these

gallery_57445_5410_158227.jpg

will post lunch later! I have go to bed!

WillLack: Your pictures look awesome! Thanks the sharing!

The Cantonese BBQ looks very good, and the fresh seafood at the market is so fresh, and INEXPENSIVE! I wish there is a kitchen at the Harbor Plaza Hotel where I stayed. Or to see a Residence Inn in Hong Kong. Maybe I should advertise to cook dinners for a host in exchange for a place to stay next time I go to Hong Kong. :laugh:

I went to my tailor in Hankow Road and opposite is the Guangdong Barbeque Restaurant which has been discussed before in Ah Leung's trip - I love the local atmosphere and had a nice chat with a couple sharing my table. I am here on business but have also brought out with me from London my 77 year old Mother who incidently was also born in HK .... I nearly always have the same thing here - fortunately with my mother with me it is less greedy between 2 than just me!

gallery_57445_5410_39516.jpg

I am abit of an afficionado of beef chow mein ( ngau yuk chow mein) but this was particularly good and the noodles had a different taste to just your normalegg noodles - possibly they use the noodles with scallopor seafood favouring what ever it is they don't taste as good in the UK..

gallery_57445_5410_565264.jpg

my mother was in raptures about this - she loves hong siu dao fu....

gallery_57445_5410_599384.jpg

really sweet and succulent chau siu

gallery_57445_5410_406910.jpg

nice suckling pig - could have ordered more of it but that would have been sheer greed.... and my tailor would kill me if I put on weight between being measured and a fitting.....

then in the evening we went to the Red Pepper with my sister and her husband and frankly it was disgusting how much we ordered... I know people can be sniffy about the place and it was half full of gwailo's like us - but it has been a family favourite for over 28 years or more... and we always have the same thing..... I'll post that later. Today I am going to my sisters house in Sai Kung in the country park and she and her husband are Italian food fans but we will be going to the wet markets to get clams for clam soup and prawns for gambas a ailos ( spelling might be wrong). Although not strictly Chinese food - they are local ingredients and will post them as they are delicious....

So supper at the Red Pepper ....

gallery_57445_5410_7664.jpg

sliced pork and pickled vegetable soup... with glass noodles nice touch - delicious with numbing hot flavour...

gallery_57445_5410_30841.jpg

part of the onion cake.... one of my mothers favourites

gallery_57445_5410_51101.jpg

dry fried string beans and pork ( and alot of garlic)

gallery_57445_5410_45400.jpg

salt & pepper squid

gallery_57445_5410_50812.jpg

their signature dish hot garlic prawns on a sizzling hot iron plate - the prawn mixture is poured onto the pre-heated ( searingly hot) plate as we hide behind raised napkins... all show - but the scent of the chilli is very strong and can make you sneeze or cough - almost everyone orders this...

gallery_57445_5410_49252.jpg

smoked duck with small steamed breads

gallery_57445_5410_32778.jpg

my sisters favourite - hot garlic aubergine and sliced pork...

gallery_57445_5410_2510.jpg

hong siu daofu - family favourite ( not quite as nice as the Guangdong Barbeque Restaurant... but still good )

gallery_57445_5410_39106.jpg

kumquat beef - soooo crunchy spicy and sweet too... nothing like this in UK as far as I know - love it love it love it love it....

that was between four with Tsingtao beer and bolay ( puerrh tea) hmmmm

Sorry about the image quality - the restaurant has slightly lower lighting and the flash just overwhelmed it and the table cloth is a lurid orange and has been for as long as I remember which means taking great photos is difficult...

I thnink they use alittle MSG as I had bit of a buzz - or it could have been the huge protein fix...

Next is the trip to Sai Kung country park and to the Wet market in Sai Kung and our clam and prawn lunch ...