• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reports on Hong Kong dining

Sinbad

Just a note to say that great eG Forums topics like this one on Ah Leung's trip wouldn't be possible without the financial support of the Society's sponsors and donors. As a member of this non-profit organization, your contributions pay for forum upkeep, the eG scholarship fund, and many exciting Society projects in the works. I know I speak on behalf of all of us in eG Society management and volunteer staff in saying thank you for your support!

If you're not yet a donor, there are many ways to contribute. Click here for a list of ten ways that you can help the Society.

Now back to the food -- and thanks!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Thanks! I owe it to a lot of eGullet friends: aprilmei, HKDave and a few others for suggestions. Including you, canucklehead! Ever since you posted pictures of the ginger syrup with milk custard in Causeway Bay, I have thinking of trying it the next chance I come back to Hong Kong. I am glad I did! For many years I knew of such a food item but never am interested enough to even taste it.

The next thing that I want to try (and never had) is Gwai Ling Gao (the turtle jell).

And remember to revive your "A Canuck in Hong Kong" thread when you come in Christmas!

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Day 14 Teaser Pictures:

gallery_19795_5471_14123.jpg

I managed to change our hotel to the Harbour Plaza in Whampoa, near the Hung Hom Ferry Terminal. This one is waterfront. I love the view from the room. Occassionally you see some big ship sailing by in the Victoria Harbor. The sight is awesome. Sorry about the blurriness from the dusts on the window.

gallery_19795_5471_214.jpg

Buffet breakfast at the Harbour Plaza Hotel. The buffet in Hong Kong hotels usually are very nice. Much better than the ones in the USA.

A mix of fruits (European style) and Siu Mai's and Yue Chee Gow (Chinese style).

gallery_19795_5471_29175.jpg

Fruit juices... there are plenty. Grapefruit and orange. And a cup of yogurt.

gallery_19795_5471_8142.jpg

The smoked salmon was really excellent. With capers. I had a few of these.

gallery_19795_5471_24481.jpg

A pomelo bought in Hong Kong. So juicy! I couldn't get enough of it! This one was only HKD20 (US$2.50) bought in Cheung Chau's Welcome store.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

Friends:

I have only one more days of being on-line and I will be off-line and enroute back to US soil this weekend. I regret that I would not have the chance to post teaser pictures everyday during my stay.

When I get back to the USA: would you prefer I finish posting the teaser pictures (previews) for each day of my stay - including the missing Day 5 and 6. Or just go right to the trip report (which will take a little time)? :smile:

teasers! A little something to whet my appetitie, then go in for the kill!

I can't believe your 21 days is almost done. It seems so short! But I'm really looking forward to reading the full report of your journey (and food!).

By the way, I was just wondering if there's a particular name for HK ex-pats who return for holidays. In the Philippines, ex-pat visitors are called "Balikbayan", I think.

Rona, you got it right. For longagobies returning to the Philippines, we are called "Balikbayans" which literally means Back-to-country.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Oh I'm leaving for Hong Kong the Saturday after this one--though I'm actually arriving on Sunday--because my dad's working there for awhile, so the family's meeting up there.

It's evil. I've deadlines to meet before I can leave, and instead of working I'm drooling over the pictures.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

teasers!  A little something to whet my appetitie, then go in for the kill!

I'll have "what Rona's having..." :laugh:

This could turn into Hong Kong blog tag as there are so many of you heading that way after Ah Leung returns.

Keep on eating!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

By the way, I was just wondering if there's a particular name for HK ex-pats who return for holidays.  In the Philippines, ex-pat visitors are called "Balikbayan", I think.

Yes, there is. In Hong Kong, they call ex-pat "Tsui Tsai" (little piggies)... "suckers"!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

But they know. We walk slow, we think slow, we tend to listen to everything they say. And when the bill comes, we tend to sign quickly with a smile and add another 15% tips to the already included 10% service charge... :wink:

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

This could turn into Hong Kong blog tag as there are so many of you heading that way after Ah Leung returns.

That's a fantastic idea! A revolving blog with "Eats in Hong Kong" as a theme. We will pass the torch from one to another...

I know reading this thread again in a few week's time will make me feel sorry for myself, that I will really miss the great food opportunities here in Hong Kong, and let alone at a lower price compared to the States.

Ah Leung: Two of the many dishes that particularly jumped out at me:

gallery_19795_5440_25218.jpg

This dish is snails in hot spicy wine sauce.

Snails in hot spicy wine sauce - you got my attention. :smile: Any idea how they made that one?

gallery_19795_5442_6275.jpg

Baby scallops in shells, steamed in black bean sauce with a bit of rice vermicelli and green onions.  Very good too.

That looks both beautiful and delicious.

I will add my thanks to the chorus. Posting all those lovely pictures while catching up with family is definitely above and beyond the strict call of duty. Safe travels, and of course we will look forward to any more that you care to share upon your return.

Landed safely at SFO this afternoon. The view was gorgeous! From Shasta Lake all the way to San Jose during landing, we could see over 100 miles from the plane. Compared with the visibility in Hong Kong of only 2 miles when we left (couldn't even see Tai O from the plane during take-off), like nights and days!

The custom officers at SFO didn't give a pip on what we brought back. I smuggled in some salted eggs! Sorry aprilmei!... No... just kidding. I did bring back some dried fruits. I wish I could bring in some beef jerkies, salted fish and laap cheung and such. That would have been fantastic.

29 hours up straight, stuck in a cramped economy class seat, seeing the sunset the second time on the same day... From a place where I sweated and sweated... now to a meat locker... I need some adjustments... I need to catch up with some z z z z...

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

gallery_19795_5440_25218.jpg

This dish is snails in hot spicy wine sauce.

Snails in hot spicy wine sauce - you got my attention. :smile: Any idea how they made that one?

Snails are probably boiled separately first. The sauce: I tasted chili sauce, garlic, bean paste (??) and heavy rice wine. Combine the above and add the cooked snails, you might be close... :biggrin: I don't know how they do it. I will be working at Under Bridge Spicy Crab if I do. :smile:

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

Day 15 Teaser Pictures:

gallery_19795_5482_3786.jpg

Does this look familiar, Kent? Made it to Yung Kee in Central. Among power lunches and wives of the elites. A plate of Pei Dan (fermented duck eggs) and pickled ginger slices was served before you have a chance to sit down and put on your napkin.

If you ever go to Yung Kee, definitely go to the 3/F. The G/F (1/F) is packed with commons rubbing elbows. The 2/F is nicer. The 3/F the best. I am sure there is a price differential (but don't know how much) between floors.

The hostress asked me if I had a reservation. I said no. She hinted that the 3/F was only for patrons with reservations but I sweet-talked her into letting me in by promising to be done by 1:00 pm (Hong Kong's lunch prime time), since we arrived early (around 11:15 am). That already gave us 1.75 hours of enjoyment. And as it turned out, we were the first party arrived on the 3/F since they opened. I was slightly uncomfortable getting so many staff attending to us.

gallery_19795_5482_13344.jpg

A must have: Roasted Goose. This one was the standard size. Next time I vow to consume half a goose. It is their best, and Hong Kong's best. On the side the waitress ordered some Chinese liver sausages (yun cheung).

gallery_19795_5482_29462.jpg

It was the best liver sasauge I have ever tasted. You can feel the rice wine flowing down your tongue.

gallery_19795_5482_7695.jpg

After lunch, we ran into a street vendor selling a traditional Cantonese sweet - Wun Tsai Gow (Small Bowl Cake). Gotta try one. This vendor didn't make it as good. Barely sweet and gummy. Oh, well. What can one expect... HKD4.00 (US$0.50).

gallery_19795_5482_56948.jpg

Night fall. We dined at a place that we didn't expect. Not because of the food. But because of the view. This is the view you can see from the dining room.

gallery_19795_5482_35383.jpg

Bubba Gump, The Peak, Hong Kong. Run Forest Run!!!

gallery_19795_5482_39323.jpg

Baby Back Ribs, Fries, Cole Slaws, Katsup. What can I say? Ah... So... American?

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

gallery_19795_5482_3786.jpg

Does this look familiar, Kent?

They sure do. I wish I could get such high quality pi dan here.

Thanks for all the pictures. What makes this such an excellent travelogue is that not only is there such excellent food in Hong Kong but that you are very knowledgeable about it.

If you ever go to Yung Kee, definitely go to the 3/F.  The G/F (1/F) is packed with commons rubbing elbows.  The 2/F is nicer.  The 3/F the best.  I am sure there is a price differential (but don't know how much) between floors.

Hey, I like the G/F! :smile:

Actually, there's a 4th floor as well, but you can only access it from the elevators in the hallway on the other side of the take-out area, not from the main elevator in the restaurant. It consists of private rooms and is reservation only. As far as I know, the menu and prices are the same for 2/F to 4/F, but there's a hefty minimum charge for the private rooms, and if you're not a regular (or famous) they'll tell you they're full.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Oh, glad you tried the yun cheung - isn't it the best? As is their pei dan. did you also have the mutton clay pot and the sea cucumber stomachs? Yung Kee also makes amazing hairy crab dishes.

aprilmei: yes! their yun cheung is the best! Thanks for the suggestion. They are really amazing. I did have the mutton clay pot too (pictures to be provided in the full report). But not sea cucumber stomachs or hairy crabs. We have only 2 small stomachs... so much food... so little time.

I've been to Hong Kong twice, but what I remember is a pancake (kinda) like thing that looks sort of like bubble wrap.

Am I making this up?

Sweet? Or savory? Did you have it in a restaurant? Or roadside vendor? What's there besides the pancake?