• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reports on Hong Kong dining

Sinbad

The Eagle Has Landed! Start transmitting the first picture of the lunar landscape...

WARNING! Turn off the computer monitor NOW if you are hungry!

Day 1 Teaser Pictures:

gallery_19795_5399_20972.jpg

Chiu Chow beefball with rice noodle soup in Tsim Sha Tsui "nothing temporary about it" Temporary Market. Orange bowls and yellow spoons. Got it! The taste is just as great as I can remember! The worker scolded me for trying to order fishballs. "All beef products only here". Beefballs, briskets, stomachs, etc..

gallery_19795_5399_26223.jpg

Drink: "Ma Tai Lo" (waterchestnuts sweet drink, with beancurd sheets and eggs swirled in I think).

gallery_19795_5399_15735.jpg

Very soft peanut candie with shredded coconut coating.

gallery_19795_5399_15801.jpg

Chiu Chow style dinner. Shark fin soup with some fish maw.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Please, where it makes sense, could you include the names of places you are hitting so that I can visit them too?

Great suggestion. I would try to.

The beefball thing is in Tsim Sha Tsui Temporary Market (see earlier posts from aprilmei).

Ma Tai Lo and peanut candies: just along the street. You can find them anywhere.

Chiu Chow dinner: a restaurant called "Chiu Lau" in Chinese. If I find the English name later I will re-post. Good food though not the best ones. Nathan Road and "Soy Sauce" Street.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

Ah Leung:

I love those peanut and coconut candies! Pack some in your suitcase for your Dai gah Jeah. :wink:

You mentioned two HK locations I remember from my childhood: North Point where I lived for a couple of years, and Nathan Road where I had a penpal. I don't remember food there tho' I was wayyyy too young to remember.

Keep posting delicious pictures.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Please, where it makes sense, could you include the names of places you are hitting so that I can visit them too?

Great suggestion. I would try to.

The beefball thing is in Tsim Sha Tsui Temporary Market (see earlier posts from aprilmei).

Nope, it's the Hankow Road Temporary Market. I wonder if we saw each other; I've walked through there 3 times in the last 24 hours (I live one block away). Feel free to PM me if you're in the neighbourhood...

Re insomniac's post, the CX flights from the west coast can arrive over the mainland or over Japan/Taiwan; they don't always fly the same route.

And our smog isn't all the fault of 'across the border'. The HK gov't measures both 'general' (on the tops of tall buildings, or in the countryside) pollution and 'roadside' (where we really live) pollution. The roadside levels are invariably a lot higher, thanks to traffic and the 'wall effect' of new high buildings blocking air flow. Bottom line is that the air here is horrendous and gets worse every year. I love this place, but the air pollution will be what gets me to leave one day. It's not even really bad right now; when it's bad you can't even see across the harbour.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

And I just found out I have made a mistake!  There is Harbour Plaza Metropolis Hotel, which is next to the KCR station (where I am).  And there is a Harbour Plaza Hong Kong Hotel - harbour front, which is where I wanted to be!  Both are in Hung Hom.  Oh well...  better be smarter next time.  It is really hard to book things over the Internet without some local helps...

Look at the bright side; at least you're not at the Harbour Plaza out in Tin Shui Wai in the New Territories! There are 4 Harbour Plazas here now but only one is actually on the harbour.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Nope, it's the Hankow Road Temporary Market. I wonder if we saw each other; I've walked through there 3 times in the last 24 hours (I live one block away). Feel free to PM me if you're in the neighbourhood...

Thanks Dave. When we went there, they were crowded! I tried very hard to beat the lunch crowd but there was only one empty table left. Our schedule is hard to tell from one day to the next, here and there.

Day 2 Teaser Pictures:

gallery_19795_5401_12636.jpg

We made it to Maxim's Palace for a nice dim sum lunch. Highly recommended. Their dim sums are pretty good.

Some "Har Gow" shown in the picture.

gallery_19795_5401_12984.jpg

Sickling pig. The skin is gorgeously crispy.

gallery_19795_5401_22184.jpg

Freshly squeezed water melon juice and kiwi juice combination. This combination worked very well. Very refreshing!

gallery_19795_5401_21275.jpg

I am not a dessert person normally but this mango pudding is too hard to pass up. The taste is wonderful!

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

gallery_19795_5401_12984.jpg

Sickling pig.  The skin is gorgeously crispy.

Mmmm, suckling pig crackling <<insert drooling emoticon>>

Last time i went to a banquet meal in HK they served just the whole skin as the ubiquitous first course. It has always made me wonder ever since what they did with the meat!?

Great job Ah Leung Gor, keep it up :biggrin:

Damn, does that mean the party before me had a double portion of meat with their crackling?

Or does it mean that the next party just has meat and no crackling? Because that would suck, the skin is the raison d'etre of baby pig! Oink :biggrin:

Edited by Prawncrackers (log)

Day 3 Teaser Pictures:

gallery_19795_5403_25401.jpg

Blood!!! Pork blood it is. Pork blood congee. I haven't had one of these for a long time. In the USA it is not easy to find a Chinese restaurant that offers it. In Hong Kong, you can find it in every street corner.

gallery_19795_5403_27718.jpg

Fried crueller with rice noodles wrapped around it. "Zha Leung"

The above breakfast was had at a local congee specialty shop near Hung Hom Ferry Terminal. You can find congee at every corner in the streets of Hong Kong.

gallery_19795_5403_39543.jpg

We visited the Han's Tomb in Lee Chang Uk. We just ate at a specialty Chiu Chow style duck/goose shop. Talk about hole in a wall... this shop offers 4 seats! It's primarily for take outs.

A plate of half a "lo shui" duck, 3 eggs and 1 duck gizzard.

gallery_19795_5403_5499.jpg

Street food! This is a skewer of octopus tentacles in curry sauce. Very common in the streets of Hong Kong.

gallery_19795_5403_7775.jpg

Ah! Found a street vendor in Tsim Sha Tsui at night selling roasted chestnuts! Just taking the picture? Of course I bought and ate some! What do you think?

gallery_19795_5403_22687.jpg

Dinner at "Indonesia Restaurant" in Tsim Sha Tsui. No, really. That is the name of their restaurant: "Indonesia Restaurant". Hmmm... I wonder what style of food they serve? Italian?

Pictured is a dish of "Curry Fishhead".

http://www.openrice.com/restaurant/sr2.htm?shopid=5339

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

Well friends... hope you enjoy these pictures. Because this is it! :laugh::laugh:

Just kidding.

Tomorrow is Thanks-Giving in the USA. The US stock markets are closed. I will take the opportunity to rest off a little bit. :laugh: I will go off-line for a few days and resurface next Monday. I hope. We are going to Macau... More pictures next week. See ya!

Everybody in the US have a wonderful Thanks-Giving! This year it is special because I get to spend Thanks-Giving holidays with my side of the family who are all living in Hong Kong. Brothers and Sister going to Macau together. That's historic in my family. Hope that you can be with your family loved ones too..

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

Wonderful blog so far! And a Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

Tell me more about the Zha Leung. I presume the rice noodles are wrapped around the cruller after it's fried. Hot or cold? Sweet or savory?

gallery_19795_5403_27718.jpg

Fried crueller with rice noodles wrapped around it.  "Zha Leung"

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

So, any run-ins yet with egg flower/drop soup?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Maybe Ah Leung can ask the hotel concierge where to find the best egg flower soup.

And let's just hope he doesn't say, "Cleveland."

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.