• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How Do YOU Make Oatmeal?

Shel_B

During the cold early mornings of fall and winter, hot cereal, especially oatmeal, is a favorite breakfast here. Usually I keep it very simple. This morning I tried something new, adding about a tablespoon or so of heavy cream and a small pat of unsalted butter to water, and cooked the oatmeal in that mixture. It was very good and quite rich. So, how do you make your oatmeal? And what kind of oatmeal do you use?

Shel

... Shel

I only use rolled oats, no quick oats. I just get an unmeasured amount of water boiling and dump in my measured amount of oats and turn the flame all the way down to it's tiniest flicker. Time it five minutes then just strain off the water, pour it into a strainer. I use butter and salt on mine. My husband uses raspberries and blueblerries and sugar and butter in his. Oh and we both put walnuts too.

So so good.

I use milk or a combination of milk-and-water to cook the oatmeal. I love any kind of rough cut or steel cut oats -- the Silver Palate brand is actually my new favorite. Tried the McCann's steel-cut oatmeal but don't exactly love the texture of the pinpoint grains.

Favorite toppings are a bit of dark brown sugar and some toasted pecans.

My favorite way is cooked pretty much the same as K8memphis posted with a little brown sugar (or sometimes molasses) and a splash of cream. On rare occasions I cook it as mentioned, mix in a little butter, maple syrup and some cooked breakfast sausage, chill it, cut it into rounds, fry it in a bit of butter and top it with a fried egg and salt and pepper. It's not as bad as it probably sounds.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I use only steel cut oats. I wash off the oats before I cook them. I either put the water on the stove to boil while I fix coffee or put the dishes in the drainer away and then turn down to simmer and add the oats while I get dressed or I put them in a small crock pot the night before and let them cook on low overnight and they are ready when we get up. We also cook enough oats for a few meals at a time and reheat them as needed.

I also prefer the steel cut oats, and I like adding a little whole milk, butter, and plain sugar or honey or maple syrup or molasses. Sometimes I'll add some spices such as cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, black pepper. I love adding baked apples or peaches.

I have three varieties of the steel cut oats--Trader Joe's McCann's and another, but most mornings I don't have time so I make the old fashioned oats. The quick cooking ones taste like glue to me. I suppose oatmeal has gotten a bad reputation because of people cooking it for too long, but I love oatmeal. Has to be cooked just right so that the individual oats are still distinguishable.

I cook in water, then add a bit of cream and the milk into the pan to heat up when the oats are done cooking. Used to use brown sugar, but Splenda now. Cinnamon, a bit of nutmeg, broken pecans or hazelnuts, and a few huckleberries or blueberries to finish it off.

When I was a kid, we had cows, so the milk was always creamy. Or we'd have it with butter and brown sugar, yum.

I'm a bad foodie... I use old fashioned oats, or McCann's instant and make them in the microwave.

You are not alone!

I usually eat Quaker Oats (but not instant), but I make them in the microwave. Half a cup of oats, one cup of water, and a bit of salt. When they're done, I add some milk, about 1/4 cup or less. And that's it, I don't like them sweet and I don't like to find chunks of anything in my oats!

I, too, am a fan of the steel-cut oats (I usually just buy whatever is in the "help yourself" bin at the market). However, my first step is to toast the oats in the pot over a medium high flame. Adds a lovely toasty note to the flavor. Then in with either the water or milk, cover for 18 minutes ... et voila! Tasty with a nice pat of butter and some real maple syrup.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I use the organic rolled oats from my Co-op--they're firmer than Quaker. Then I cook them in half water/half milk, and let them sit as long as possible to get nice and creamy before eating them with butter and brown sugar.

I've had one tin and one box of rancid McCann's--no more.

I got some wonderful oatmeal in a grocery store in Victoria BC last year--it was actually made in Victoria, which surprised me. I think you would call it Scottish style oatmeal--sort of like rolled oats that had gone through the food processor. That was some of the best oatmeal I've ever had. Very fresh.

Edited by Dianabanana (log)

Given the choice i keep rolled and quick oats on hand so i can get oatmeal even if i don't have a lot of time (when i had morning classes many were the times I took quick oats on campus with me)

Preferred method of serving is with cinnamon and/or nutmeg, and a splash of Da Vinci sugarfree irish cream syrup.

I tried doing rolled oats overnight in a crockpot per some recipe or other, but the result was horrible (the only saving grace was that it came out of the pot in one piece, relatively easy to clean up.)

I like steel cut or regular (not instant or quick) oats, cooked in water with a splash of milk and a bit of butter in the water.

For stir-ins, I tend to favor more butter, a bit of brown sugar, and buttermilk (not the icky nonfat kind, though!) My husband likes golden raisins in his, and while I agree, it makes for a too-sweet breakfast and I get a tummy ache. :(

I never realized that so many ways of cooking oameal were being used. I still do it the old fashioned way. One cup water, half cup old-fashioned rolled oats, and a pinch of salt. Simmer five minutes. Add raisins if you like (I do that often).

Eat with milk and brown sugar, maybe some cinnamon.

No instant or quick cooking oats. They gag me with their gluey texture.

Reminding myself to get some steel cut oats when I shop today. They were my Dad's favorite. Haven't had them in years.

Put a handful of rolled oats into cold water, bring to a simmer for a few minutes. Put a small blob of butter in your bowl, plop in the cooked oats, add brown sugar and whole milk. Nirvana.

On long bicycle trips we would rip open the top of an instant oatmeal pouch, add the sun-warmed water from a water bottle and pour the slurry directly into the mouth. Fast and easy!

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

In my family there is only one oatmeal. And that is McCann's steel cut in the tin. You see, my great great grandfather, the former PA Sec of Ag, is cited on the can as attesting to one of the awards.

So, we cook it up adding milk and dried fruit along the way. Top with honey and butter when done. Cinnamon if you are in the mood. YUM.

Put 2 packets store brand apple cinn oatmeal into coffee cup add water from the water heater/cooler.

I actually made real oatmeal Saturday from the directions on the carton and added applesauce, cinn, and brown sugar. I like the crap better...

:rolleyes:

maybe if I get some dried apples....

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

During the cold early mornings of fall and winter, hot cereal, especially oatmeal, is a favorite breakfast here. Usually I keep it very simple. This morning I tried something new, adding about a tablespoon or so of heavy cream and a small pat of unsalted butter to water, and cooked the oatmeal in that mixture. It was very good and quite rich. So, how do you make your oatmeal?  And what kind of oatmeal do you use?

Shel

I usually make instant oatmeal with water, top with brown sugar, nuts and fruit.

Trader Joe's steel cut oats (stored in a McCann's tin...I'm just too cheap to keep buying the McCann's) are my porridge oats of choice. I've just started using MelissaH's overnight method to cook them and am 100% sold on it.

I like them plain but, after reading about MelissaH's method, I have tried them with a drizzle of maple syrup and found that to be very tasty.

Rolled oats for me, steel cut is nice but takes too long and I'd rather make them fresh in the morning while I'm making my lunch...

Quaker makes these "large flake" oats that are like rolled oats but bigger :raz: which I like. 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup milk, heat that up then add the oats. A little salt, a little brown sugar, some cinnamon, sometimes nutmeg or even cloves, and usually some form of dried fruit: cranberries, apricots (chopped up), apples (also); haven't tried cherries yet, probably will tomorrow. Tried peaches and didn't like it as much. I have oatmeal for breakfast about 60% of the time, closer to 80 or 90 if you only count weekdays. Mmmm oatmeal :smile:

Kate

I like old-fashioned rolled oats and make them the most. I also like the steel cut oats (and even whole oats) but they require advance planning, so I rarely make them. Try oatmeal my way, it's sooo good.

I grew up in Puerto Rico and this is how my grandfather always made oatmeal for us, except he used the regular rolled oats. It was always perfect, and this was amazing because he never tasted it, since he never drank milk. As you'll see, the way of making it is a lot like making a Spanish custard, with the lime or lemon peel and cinnamon, and this taste combination was brought to Spain by the Moors, and then to the America by the Spaniards.

Just as important to me as the way of cooking it is the way of serving oatmeal. I make if fairly thick and pour is unto a flat plate and sprinkle the cinnamon and then let it sit for a few minutes. On to the recipe:

Old-fashined rolled oats -1 part by volume

2 parts of milk

pinch of salt per serving

1 stick cinnamon

1 piece lime peel (about 1 inch per serving) or lemon peel

sugar (or substitute) to taste

Put everything in a heavy saucepan. Cook at low heat about 5 minutes and at medium heat another 5 minutes or until thickened to your liking. Stir occasionally the whole time to prevent/minimize sticking. Pour on plate and sprinkle with cinnamon.

For a killer variation: Add 1-2 TB sweetened shredded coconut per serving to the above.

Another vote for Trader Joe's steel cut oatmeal (with a box of TJ's old-fashioned oats on hand for other uses). I've been making them every few days using the 30-minute method with water and a little salt. I will be trying Melissa's method tonight, though.

Daily portions get nuked with milk and stirred until creamy (1 minute + 10 seconds, which is about all I'm ready for in the a.m.). Every bowl gets some banana and grade B maple syrup. :wub:

Except for the occasional substitution of Sriracha. Hey, some mornings are like that.

eta: I will try it your way, achevres. Oooh.

Edited by hsm (log)

Except for the occasional substitution of Sriracha. Hey, some mornings are like that.

Soo... I don't have to feel silly that one day a couple of weeks ago when we had a cool snap, I made my oatmeal with curry powder & brown sugar? Next time I'll take achevres' tip and sprinkle that with toasted coconut... mmm.