• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good food Downtown

mark922

I am coming to Vancouver on Thursday for three days and I'll be staying at the Four Seasons. I'm looking for pho, smoked food, and other delights.

I'm not into the big steak house thing. I would be very interested in hearing about local delights.

Thanks in advance.

In terms of pho you're probably out of luck staying at the Four Seasons. Smoked food.. you probably want to check out so.cial's butchershop. Izakaya is pretty good downtown as well, Guu or Kingyo is very popular among locals. There's also Blue Water Cafe which has a great sushi bar though the restaurant offerings may seem a little standard.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Here's a best Vietnamese thread.

And here's one on dim sum.

Thank you. Both of these threads are very helpful.

You are very welcome. If you ask questions about specific restaurants, you'll usually get a better response than to the more generic questions.

Here's a link to the compendium of "best of" topics (available at the top of the forum) which will give you a good overview.

Cheers,

Anne

I am pleased to say I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Vancouver. In particular, the dim sum at Imperial was a delight. The seafood tower at Blue Water in Yaletown was incredibly fresh and offered an impressivee variety. My clients and I had a genuine feast. I also had a great meal at Azia. The variety of different cuisines offered a chance to take a culinary trip through Asian cuisine, with each region's flavors offered up authentically and exquisitely prepared.

The one place I found to be a bit uninspired was So.cial. The oysters were a bit milky, and our main courses were prepared competently, but seemed to lack inspiration. I do give them credit for propducing a very good charcuterie plate, though.

Thank you, Vancouver. I hope to return soon.

• 2 weeks later...
I also had a great meal at Azia

I agree - We have a weekend pied a tier in the upstairs condo and often go to Azia for a bite to eat. Love the restaurant - a nice mix of cuisines - all well executed - and some are on small plates so you can try more items. Excellent value for money. My hubby is in love with the sushi.

Life is short, eat dessert first