• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pig Testicles

kendix

do they have the skin on them???

if they do, you'll have to remove it...

if they're big, you may want to halve or quarter them...

i've always eaten them with a simple breading, then deep fried...

you may want to soak them in salt water 24 hrs or so, sometimes boar meat of any kind can get pretty musky from hormones that sexually mature male swine have.....

I am intrigued...............Please keep us posted, with pics if possible. I thought I was the only one adventurous enough to try something like this, nice to know I am not alone! :wink: (either that, or we are Both "off"?!) lol

Seriously now, I am curious how they taste and what is the overall mouth-feel?

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

I don't know about pig testes, but my uncle really likes grilled bull testes with a simple olive oil/lemon juice marinade.

Edited by NimaCooks (log)

"In a perfect world, cooks who abuse fine cutlery would be locked in a pillory and pelted with McNuggets."

- Anthony Bourdain

How big are they? I'm asking in all seriousness. I bought turkey testicles and was surprised at how large some of them are - they ranged in size from about 3cm/1" to 9cm/3 1/2" - all in one packet. Someone told me that animal "balls" are not to human scale.

The closest taste and texture comparison to other meats - at least for the turkey testicles - was they're similar to brains. I thought they were delicious but my boyfriend wouldn't even consider trying them.

Check this out - the first question is hilarious:

http://www.funlinked.com/testicle/testiclemail.html

Hmmm . . . that's definitely whacked. It does raise the question "are some forms of cannibalism more acceptable than others?"

It is hard to read this thread without a smirk, but getting back on topic . . . I see "lamb fries" at the grocery store from time to time and think about taking the plunge. They do seem to come packaged as two, not sure if its a left and right pair. The grocer is useless in terms of preparation and cooking. I suspect calling them "fries" implies a method.

So get cooking and take some pictures for us!

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

With calf fries, one trick that makes them easier to deal with is to freeze them partially or totally. The capsule can then be stripped off by just dipping them in water to thaw the outer layer. They can also be sliced nicely when frozen. I suspect any treatment that would apply to sweetbreads would work well with pig testicles as the calf fries resemble sweetbreads more than anything else I can think of.

First, get a ziploc bag to hold the musky odors in. Second, place the now contained items in a second bag such as a grocery bag. Three, place in trash receptacle which is outside of the lving area and scheduled for pickup within 24 hours.

Ugh.

With calf fries, one trick that makes them easier to deal with is to freeze them partially or totally. The capsule can then be stripped off by just dipping them in water to thaw the outer layer. They can also be sliced nicely when frozen. I suspect any treatment that would apply to sweetbreads would work well with pig testicles as the calf fries resemble sweetbreads more than anything else I can think of.

Interesting, I like sweetbreads. Somehow its a bit easier putting a mysterious gland (thymus? pancreas?) in my mouth than, well, testicles. I still have not made beef tongue at home, there's something about "its tongue on my tongue" that I need to get past. Having said that, I would like to think I could become the consummate omnivore, like the great Tony Bourdain who I think is the cat's ass. Bring on the beating cobra hearts and still-warm seal eyeballs!

Back to the lamb fries, would you soak them in milk like sweetbreads?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I don't usually soak sweetbreads in milk. I doubt pork fries would need it but you would just have to try and see. Without the capsule, testicles get mushy so it can be a good thing to slice, dredge and saute while still a little frozen.

• 2 months later...

One of the best dish I ever ate was made of three kinds of testicles (beef, lamb and pork) cooked almost table side on hot rock with green onions and ginger if I remember it well. I bet one can do he same in a pan.

Shouldn't this thread be mixed in with ways to cook oysters? :smile:

The only time I've seen someone eat prairie oyters from a pig is when my cousins had a pig castrated. It must be good since my cousins were fighting over who gets them. No Joke...My youngest cousin won and she skewered it and roasted them over some coals....ouch.

First, get a ziploc bag to hold the musky odors in.  Second, place the now contained items in a second bag such as a grocery bag.  Three, place in trash receptacle which is outside of the lving area and scheduled for pickup within 24 hours.

Ugh.

Okay?!?!

I got tricked into eating some once when I was a teenager. You're better off with a can of Spam and it's much easier to prepare. LOL

You're better off with a can of Spam and it's much easier to prepare.  LOL

So what you're saying is that spam is a reasonable substitute for pig's testicles? :smile: Hmmm, that would put an interesting twist on a Hawaiian specialty, musubi!

I had them as a boy in Missouri at my uncles farm. I remember my aunt frying them in butter and that they tasted like chicken gizzards.

Since Uncle Oliver really loved them, I saw no need to take them from him again. I did, however, spend my share of time in the summer castrating pigs.

It still amazes me that the pigs started squealing when you picked them from the pen and the pitch didn't changed at all as you cut and pulled the testes out and cut the cord.

Robert

Seattle

You're better off with a can of Spam and it's much easier to prepare.  LOL

So what you're saying is that spam is a reasonable substitute for pig's testicles? :smile: Hmmm, that would put an interesting twist on a Hawaiian specialty, musubi!

LOL That's probably what Spam IS!!! I just remember it being really salty. And my stepfather convulsing with laughter as I ate...then I promptly stopped. :angry:

This thread is probably why I had a nightmare that there was a tiny potbellied pig running around my house and I had to catch it and get it outta there! :laugh:

What a daring meal, I'm curious to see how they turned out too! Are pig testicles and sheep testicles both called mountain oysters? I shudder to think of all the poor, unsuspecting folks who had "fries" too. LOL