• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KFC or Popeyes?

GlorifiedRice

Thanks, Toliver. Looks like they're limited to Ontario (southern) in Canada, and the closest one to me is in Minneapolis. Not likely to be trying it anytime soon.

I think I'm stuck with the not-so-wonderful Chicken Delight, or KFC. Or, I could make a good batch at home. :wink:

Available where I am now:  Bojangles Cajun Chicken Biscuit

Fond memories of chicken chains past:  Harold's Chicken Shack chain (Chicago, South Side)

:wub:

Harold's is still here, isn't it? I swear I just ate there sometime last year. Can't imagine they are all closed.

Oh no - I'm sure all of those Harold's Shacks are still open and doing a brisk business - I'm just sadly not in Chicago any more to enjoy them.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to be the lone dissenter here...I prefer KFC's original recipe over Popeye's chicken. I find Popeye's breading to be too hard and crunchy and the seasoning too salty & spicy.

*ducking to avoid a KFC biscuit from hitting my head* :)

• 1 month later...
I'm going to be the lone dissenter here...I prefer KFC's original recipe over Popeye's chicken.  I find Popeye's breading to be too hard and crunchy and the seasoning too salty & spicy.

*ducking to avoid a KFC biscuit from hitting my head*  :)

Have you tried Popeye's mild? It is just right for me. A side benefit of Popeye's chicken is that I can eat the cold leftovers without biting into a coagulated grease pocket that KFC's chicken always had.

No comparison IMHO.

I grew up in NYC, and therefore on KFC and not Popeye's.

That being said, once I tasted Popeye's there was no looking back. I adore their biscuits, and the rest of their sides are great as well.

I was overjoyed when they opened locations in NYC.

I lived near one when I was in undergrad and it was a dangerous thing to have one nearby ;)

Even their seasoned fries are really good!

• 2 weeks later...

seeing the title of this thread made me sooo happy. I was so excited to enter a write POPEYE'S!!! they're great! Now i live in Israel and whenever i go back to america, within the first few days that i'm there, i visit popeye's....

In Israel they have KFC... I was missing fried chicken and hoped that maybe going to KFC would fill my desire.... I was horribly mistaken... The chicken was horrible, the sides even worse.... the chicken was over cooked, and had been sitting for a while in the warmer... I asked for mashed potatoes as a side, i figured they'd be nice buttery creamy mashed potatoes with a decent brown gravy... NO butter and No gravy.... just dry mush... I was so upset, it honestly ruined the rest of my day, especially because for 2 wings, a breast, bad mashed potatoes, and a small, no refill coke, i paid the equivalent of 12 dollars... writing about it now will probably ruin my day too...

and now i leave you with a renewed desire for popeye's.... and more motivation to try to make it myself... i just need to get some crisco or lard...

The other night I had some Popeye's again. Spicy. :wub:

I love that they actually have green beans as a side...not as good as home cooked but still good. Colonel, where are your veggies, sir?

And the Popeye's cajun gravy on the mashed potatoes makes it comfort food to the Nth degree.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Has anyone mentioned Roy Roger's? They're not "chicken-only" but their fried chicken is my favorite. Here in the north east, I've only ever seen them at highway rest stops.

However, the quality is not consistent across rest stops. The best chicken I've eaten was at the Plattekill rest stop on the NY thruway.

I will gladly eat Popeye's, however, when I'm not on the interstate.

• 4 weeks later...

NEW ORLEANS - Al Copeland, who became rich selling Popeyes spicy fried chicken and notorious for his flamboyant lifestyle, died Sunday at a clinic near Munich, Germany. He was 64.

::::Moment Of Silence:::::

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23770665/

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!