• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KFC or Popeyes?

GlorifiedRice

Popeyes, wings down. Love the spicy chicken, the mashed potatoes (there are little chunks of somethin' in the gravy), and the biscuits.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I tried Popeyes once when I was like 18, but didnt know it was going to be spicy...everything was spicy, even the gravy :sad: I think it actually made me cry (could have been the first day at a scarey office job too) I have never gone back.

I will try to find one, now that I like food with flavor

tracey

you can get it mild.

and really, the spicy isn't that spicy. :)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Years ago, KFC used to make a spicy-crispy that was pretty good. If they still make it, I wouldn't know, because I now favor Popeyes. What I think is funny is that Popeyes is listed in the NOLA Zagat guide.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Wow. I find this remarkable. I was going to weigh in on Popeye's, expecting another smack-down like the one I received for backing pie in the Cake v Pie topic. But there's nary a vote for the Colonel. What gives?

Oh, and: Popeye's. I mean, really.

Glad to see that you've made the right choice, Chris. :raz:

Being from New Orleans, and being a fried chicken man to begin with, I am crazy about Popeye's, though I don't eat it that often. During the Mardi Gras parade season, though, I eat enough of this stuff to depopulate a house full of fryers. It is the go-to food for the seasoned parade goer who is in a hurry to get home, park the car, and get to his spot on the route. IF you show up with a box, your friends are sure to move over a bit and give you some room. Then again, a bottle of rum works just about as well and is easier to carry.

After the storm, one of the first Popeye's to open in the city was the one on Magazine near Napoleon. The day that they opened people were, literally, lining up halfway round the block to get ahold of some of that stuff, as most of us were just looking for something, anything, familiar.

I am crazy about their beans as a commercial alternative that is almost as good, sometimes better, than most people's home attempts at the same product. I like the bisquits, as well, though I wish that they weren't quite as salty.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Which do you prefer for Fried Chicken?

KFC or Popeyes?

I prefer Popeyes cause its less greasy, the breading isnt coming off of the pieces, the chicken skin under that breading is correctly cooked and it just tastes really great.

Are there any other Fried Chicken chains out there?

Of the two I have to choose popeye's spicy. Actually popeye's is my favorite chicken chain. However, there are many many more chains. A close second from popeyes would be bojangles. I also like Churches fried chicken.

How does Chick-Fil-A fit in the mix?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Chick-Fil-A isnt fried chicken in the same vein at the others,

But I do like extra pickles on my Chick-Fil-A samiches

Ooh... I guess I was forgetting that Chick-Fil-A is more the breaded boneless meat for sandwiches... :wub:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I've never been to a Popeyes - now I'm intrigued. Never cared for KFC. A quick lookup shows there is one about 20 minutes away. Their menu shows things way beyond KFC like shrimp etoufee, etc. My family loves cajun/creole. Do they have these selections at all locations. If so, do these items get the same high marks as the chicken? Will definitely be trying the chicken but am also hoping for so much more now...

Popeyes all the way baby. Been eatn the stuff since it first came about. KFC has nothing on them. Not even those throw everything in the garbage bowl thingies. Something I have noticed though is if your not in the gulf coast south, they don't carry the shrimp or the crawfish baskets. Sadly.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I've never been to a Popeyes -  now I'm intrigued.  Never cared for KFC.  A quick lookup shows there is one about 20 minutes away.  Their menu shows things way beyond KFC like shrimp etoufee, etc.  My family  loves cajun/creole.  Do they have these selections at all locations.  If so, do these items get the same high marks as the chicken?  Will definitely be trying the chicken but am also hoping for so much more now...

Every time I stray from chicken, biscuits, and red beans and rice at Popeye's, I wish I hadn't. But I really don't stray very often.

It's not really a fair comparison. KFC sucks. Popeye's not only sells very good fried chicken, but actually sells better fried chicken than most single-establishment "mom and pop" places. You have to go very high up the single-establishment food chain to get better fried chicken than Popeye's makes.

The only fried-chicken chain I've been to that I think is competitive with Popeye's is Bojangles'. That only applies if you happen to live in the Southeast or Middle Atlantic, though.

I'm lucky enough on this one to live in NC.....Bojangles. Otherwise, it's too bad Popeye's doesn't have the marketing budget KFC has. If they did KFC would be a memory.

I don't eat either frequently as I can easily get real fried chicken from several local places (not to mention the Royal Farms gas station/convenience store chain outdoes either by a long shot), but I would say Popeyes hands-down. KFC is hideous. Their regular chicken is soggy and disintegrates when you pick it up. It also tastes doughy.

I don't like anything whatsoever about KFC. Even their biscuits are pathetic. OK, maybe those honey barbecue bites ... I'll give them that for inventing PCP sauce.

We get Popeyes exactly twice a year.

OK, I'm the geek.

I used to like KFC. Haven't eaten there in a long time, but the "Extra Crunchy" used to float my boat (at least, for a while! :laugh: ) I also (in my veggie phase) used to drive through just to get a large cole slaw... it was sort of "white trashy", but I loved it...

I've never lived (in my recollection) near a Popeyes. Once, while taking care of a friend doing chemo for leukemia, all she wanted to eat was mashed potatoes from Popeye's with their spicy sausage gravy. I drove 30 miles to find the nearest Popeyes... and didn't try the chicken!

BTW, if I was going to eat fried chix now, it'd be my own!

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

I started the thread and if you recall I said this:

"Are there any other Fried Chicken chains out there?"

So its perfectly okay with ME if you mention OTHER Fried Chicken Chains.

At the time I posted it I didnt remember any other FG Chains.

I WANTED you to list others as well

So...

There are:

KFC

Popeyes

Churchs

Bojangles

and ?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I started the thread and if you recall I said this:

"Are there any other Fried Chicken chains out there?"

So its perfectly okay with ME if you mention OTHER Fried Chicken Chains.

At the time I posted it I didnt remember any other FG Chains.

I WANTED you to list others as well

So...

There are:

KFC

Popeyes

Churchs

Bojangles

and ?

I was not sure it was a chain but a quick google search says they are, so i would like to add Crown Fried Chicken. I have only eaten there in Philadelphia but it's fantastic, more parts are parts chicken than i will have a breast and a drumstick and instead of biscuits it's white bread buns. not a high end place but delicious.