• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Emeril's

Pat I.

:unsure:

Going to N.O for our 6th anniversary. My wife and I went down there for our first Anniversary.

and we ate at Bayona (excellent) and Emeril's. We would like to try Emeril's

(and maybe some of his other places like NOLA, Delmonico's)again. The first visit was good

with a high potential for a much better meal. Any opinions on Emeril places?

I had a great meal at Delmonico's. I would suggest that.

I've eaten at Emerils signature restaurant many times (mostly at visitors requests) and never had a very good all around meal. Delmonico's was much much better in my experience. They are more concentrated on the food quality, when it seemed as his other signiture rest. in the wharehouse district was more appealing for the decore.

I've never been to NOLA.

I was lucky enough to eat at Emeril's right after it opened--must be ten years ago. He had just left Commander's Palace and was only locally famous. It was terrific then, but I haven't been post-BAM.

For my money the best in New Orleans these days is still Upperline, out in the Garden District. If you're staying in the Quarter, take the street car back for a great end to the evening.

Dave

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

The best advice that I can offer is never to go into any Emeril-influenced restaurant anywhere!

Emeril's was the venue for one of the worst meals I have eaten anywhere in the world. NOLA was slightly better. It was one of the 20 worst meals I have eaten.

Try some of the newer restaurants such as GW Fins, Bayona, Herbsaint, Lilette or Victors if you want decent food.

Roger McShane

Foodtourist.com

Followed by some drinks and some bbq rabbit out the back of a truck at Vaughn's in the 9th Ward,(Thursday nights--when Kermit is playing/cooking) followed by drinks at the best bar in the South--Snake and Jakes Christmas Club Lounge, followed by a delivery sandwich and a bottle of bourbon from the Verdi Mart, followed by coffee at the Hummingbird followed by a Sno-Ball at Hansen's followed by a long stint at Betty Ford. New Orleans is cool. Avoid the Quarter.

abourdain

I've only been to Emeril's once, but apparently I did it right. I went there alone and therefore got the advantage of sitting at the corner counter overlooking the display kitchen. The cooks give you little tastes of things and chat you up, but it doesn't inspire a repeat visit when there are so many other places to try.

The best meal I've had in New Orleans was at Emeril's. And I've had a lot of fine meals in NO. But that was some years back and I haven't been to Emeril's in the last couple of years.

Those of you who say it's not good now; what did you have and precisely what's wrong with it?

Or is it just backlash against his TV personality?

I am with frankj on this one. Maybe I was lucky, but my first meal at Emeril's is still about the best meal I've eaten in the United States. My second meal there (which was more modest) didn't refute my initial judgment.

Here the details of the tasting menu I ate, sitting - as Rachel described - at the comortable service counter:

"Happened by chance to stumble across my notes last night, so i can at least give you the menu (as I recalled it the next day, not directly transcribed):

Oriental cucumber salad with salmon carpaccio and dill

Chilled mussel chowder with three caviars (each served on a half shell), wild thistle and mussel croquette

Filet of escoular on garlic potato puree with tiny fried fish, onion rings, ganrished with a single chive

Filet of salmon wrapped in duck bacon, sauce a l'Americaine, red pepper puree, parsnip crisps

Spatchcocked Louisiana quail, tranche of foie gras, puree of blackeyed peas, spiced collard greens, three onion marmalade, herb polenta

Salt-crusted loin of lamb over apple, mint and cheese risotto, garnished with rosemary sprig

Louisiana cheeses, crushed nuts, walnut and almond biscotti

Choc chip brownie, blueberries and raspberries, hazelnut ice cream, chocolate sauce and creme Anglais

Strawberries in dark and white chocolate, white chcocolate and hazelnut praline, white chocolate liqueur sauce

Wines:

Champagne (unspecified)

Mondavi-Rothschild Opus One (lost the year)

The house Grenache/Syrah (with the cheese)

Quady's Orange Muscat

Comments:

It reads a little overwhelmingly, but I recall the balance between many facets of interest in each dish, and restraint and harmony in composition and presentation. These dishes were far from messy. The ideas were wonderfully executed, and not by Emeril himself who was away that night (but phoning in regularly to check). I might single out the astonishing use of wild thistle with the chowder, the delicate adaptation of Southern ingredients such as black-eyed peas and collard greens, the fantastic apple, mint and cheese risotto, and Opus One was more than potable. "

This is quite the interesting thread. I am only familiar with the TV Emeril, and his TV food for the most part strikes me as deliberately vulgar and gross (Emerilspeak: kicked up a notch). However, Wilfrid's list suggests something different about the food you get at his main place.

I wonder if this holds true for the rest of the pantheon of TV star chefs. How does Mesa Grill and Bolo food compare to what Flay cooks on TV? I know Mario's TV cooking tends to be focused on Italian Italian cooking, with emphasis on authentic preparations, while Babbo does something else entirely. But Mario candonowrong in my book, and his food always seems to make sense.

I too have had some wonderful meals at Emeril's...the CDC there, Chris Wilson and I have a "challenge" every time I go... I sit at the food bar and he cooksan off the cuff tasting dinner until I say "no Mas!". I have to admit I have never ordered off the regular menu (with the exception of the banana cream pie.... :wub: ) so I may not be a good barometer of the restaurant.

We think K-Pauls' is the best for casual but delectable food. Been there numerous times and have been delighted each time. The staff is friendly and I go back this weekend if it wasn't for this stinking hurricane.

Stop Family Violence

• 3 weeks later...

I live here and have never been. I'm not much on making reservations four months in advance; besides that, I can't afford to go there anyway, and I prefer more vulgar food.

I like his TV persona, believe it or not. It's something I can put on and the kids can watch and develop an appreciation for food.