• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Cured Meats

Degustation

Apologies if you've also seen this on Chow, but I need to spread my net...

I would like to get a nice selection of Chinese cured meats for someone in Montreal who is a former Chinese chef. He is very particular abut the quality of Chinese foodstuffs and I would like to get him something that may not be readily available in Mtl and is of very good quality.

Some things may include: lap cheung (Chinese sausage), guan cheung (pork and liver sausage), lap yuk (chinese bacon), lap op (dry-cured duck legs).

Am willing to go anywhere downtown or near the Pacific Mall / Hwy 7 area.

Recommendations for good Chinese roasted duck or pork would be great as well. I'm planning a trip to Montreal the second week of Oct. and I would like to bring a nice selection of items. Any other suggestions for special savoury Chinese foods would also be great

I used to buy Asian cookies and pastries from T&T as gifts but he's now borderline diabetic and I need to change my approach.

Thanks.

Edited by Degustation (log)

Apologies if you've also seen this on Chow, but I need to spread my net...

I would like to get a nice selection of Chinese cured meats for someone in Montreal who is a former Chinese chef. He is very particular abut the quality of Chinese foodstuffs and I would like to get him something that may not be readily available in Mtl and is of very good quality.

Some things may include: lap cheung (Chinese sausage), guan cheung (pork and liver sausage), lap yuk (chinese bacon), lap op (dry-cured duck legs).

Am willing to go anywhere downtown or near the Pacific Mall / Hwy 7 area.

Recommendations for good Chinese roasted duck or pork would be great as well. I'm planning a trip to Montreal the second week of Oct. and I would like to bring a nice selection of items. Any other suggestions for special savoury Chinese foods would also be great

I used to buy Asian cookies and pastries from T&T as gifts but he's now borderline diabetic and I need to change my approach.

Thanks.

Most Chinese markets have a good selection of Chinese sausages. I personally love the duck liver ones. I usually just get mine at the T&T in the Promenade. I like the fact you can snip them yourself. Their BBQ Pork and Roast Pork are only okay, nothing to write home about. I have also bought chinese sausages from an asian market on spadina south of Dundas on the East side. I always love a present of Tea myself, preferably a nice loose leaf oolong, such as Qilan or Ti Quan Yin, or maybe a brick of Pu-Erh (Po Lai).

Mark

Most Chinese markets have a good selection of Chinese sausages. I personally love the duck liver ones. I usually just get mine at the T&T in the Promenade. I like the fact you can snip them yourself. Their BBQ Pork and Roast Pork are only okay, nothing to write home about. I have also bought chinese sausages from an asian market on spadina south of Dundas on the East side. I always love a present of Tea myself, preferably a nice loose leaf oolong, such as Qilan or Ti Quan Yin, or maybe a brick of Pu-Erh (Po Lai).

Mark

Thanks. I also have some tips from Chowhound re: the Royal brand and stores near Hwy 7and Kennedy. I'll do some investigating.

As for the tea...well..he's more of a scotch man I'm afraid.