• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

reccos on a good corkscrew

zoe b

the hub wants to give his brother one for his b-day.

Now the Bro loves wine, is not a wine obsessive, though. He does the research and hunts down good wines for the price (what we all can afford).

He doesn't have a wine cellar or anything like that--just wine in boxes in the cellar.

So what kind of a really nice corkscrew can we get him? We like the waiter corkscrew--always have a couple of those--but is there something classier, but not a gadgety waste of money?

Someone gave him the Rabbit and he hates that.

Years ago we had a compressed air needle one and we liked that a lot--

any suggestions?

Zoe

One cannot go wrong with the waiter's friend.

This Spring, I purchased a corkscrew from the Napa Wine Merchant made by Gattorna. They are replicas of the models of corkscrews dating to the 1700's and 1800's. I love mine. Here's a link to see what they look like. They are a bit more stylish than the waiter's friend.

http://www.luxe-collections.com/Gattoran_Cork_Screw.html

One cannot go wrong with the waiter's friend.

This Spring, I purchased a corkscrew from the Napa Wine Merchant made by Gattorna.  They are replicas of the models of corkscrews dating to the 1700's and 1800's.  I love mine.  Here's a link to see what they look like.  They are a bit more stylish than the waiter's friend.

http://www.luxe-collections.com/Gattoran_Cork_Screw.html

Beautiful. I am afraid for me that this might be one of those "if you have to ask, you probably cannot afford it" instances.

How's about a Zig Zag? They're fun........

scubadoo--he doesn't like the rabbit, and already has the Waiter's friend types--but thanks!!

oh, my, Morgan--that gattorna is gorgeous--and found it on amazon for $60--not too bad--only we're spending around $30--but I'd love that one for myself some day.

menon--the zig zag is perfect--it's fun, looks well-made--it's French, and it will be a conversation piece not just a symbol of spending moola--I Love It!! I already emailed a guy on ebay who's selling an old one in the box from an estate to see if I can buy it now. Zoe

At the risk of beating a dead horse, since you've already pointed out that you have 'Waiters friend' types...

How about the Pulltaps Extens?

It has a nice substantial feel, is significantly smaller and more rounded, hence pocket-friendly, and has the double lift which draws even long corks straight.

scubadoo--he doesn't like the rabbit, and already has the Waiter's friend types--but thanks!!

oh, my, Morgan--that gattorna is gorgeous--and found it on amazon for $60--not too bad--only we're spending around $30--but I'd love that one for myself some day.

menon--the zig zag is perfect--it's fun, looks well-made--it's French, and it will be a conversation piece not just a symbol of spending moola--I Love It!!  I already emailed a guy on ebay who's selling an old one in the box from an estate to see if I can buy it now. Zoe

Groovy. I hope things went well on eBay.

I have a model from 1950 and really dig it. The older ones have a different type of screw, but the newer ones should work fine with the more traditional worm.

Best,

D

Another vote for Screwpull.

The "Table model" is a simple reliable means of pulling corks occasionally (rather than several per hour, hour after hour).

Its a very practical domestic tool. And requires neither skill nor strength.

I just don't know if its "glitzy" enough for your gift needs.

{But they did offer that corkscrew and a foil cutter in a boxed set... }

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Keep in mind that, in the end, nothing is cooler than the waiter's corkscrew. Everything else is for parvenues, wimps and show-offs. :wink: OK, some of them may actually work better than a waiter's corkscrew (better yet, call it a "wine key"), but they're not as cool.

And the coolest of the wine keys are these. Of course, they're far too expensive to give as gifts, so just buy one for yourself. :laugh:

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

menon said--

Groovy. I hope things went well on eBay.

well, I asked the guy if he would end the auction early and made him an offer, but he didn't want to do this--can't blame him--but the reason I wanted to end the auction was so it would get here on time...oh, well...

so sent the hub down to the Le Creuset Outlet in Flemington--I talked to a nice fellow on the phone and he said he'd advise Bob--they have the Screwpulls --which did look like the most sensible choice --

I was a little worried bcause Bob was talking about those monsters that sit on the counter and you put the bottle in--I told him to look at our counters and see where a good spot was for this--the same deal holds for almost everyone else...

So he came back with the Table Model--very nice, not too pricey and it does come in a plastic box, so that's a little fancy--hehe.

And believe me, to us a corkscrew that costs over $20 seems fancy--I just buy them at the thrift store usually.

thanks for all the input, everyone--as usual, I now know a lot more about something thanks to e-gulletteers.

Zoe