• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starchefs International Chefs Congress 2007

docsconz

gallery_8158_5171_42204.jpggallery_8158_5171_81946.jpggallery_8158_5171_65721.jpg

Setting up the Cona for the infusion. Bennette added crayfish bones, shaved fennel, shallots, tomato puree, carrot, tarragon, basil, thyme, celery leaves, crayfish antennae and spies to the top bowl.

gallery_8158_5171_10331.jpg

Were the spies added to get rid of them or to add flavor?? :laugh::laugh:

But seriously....now I want a Cona pot....how cool! And there had to be something added to that buffola milk skin, caaragen (sp?)?

What a great technique to add immediate flavors....

Were the spies added to get rid of them or to add flavor??  :laugh:  :laugh:

But seriously....now I want a Cona pot....how cool!  And there had to be something added to that buffola milk skin, caaragen (sp?)?

What a great technique to add immediate flavors....

:laugh::laugh: You got me with a good typo, Judith! My spellchecker obviously missed it as did I.

As for the Buffalo milk skin, you are absolutely correct about the carrageenan as kappa carrageenan is used along with buffalo mozzarella, milk, salt, pepper and a thermomix at 80ºC.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

gallery_8158_5171_58034.jpg All the way from his restaurant, Calima in Marbella, Spain, Dani García discussed and demonstrated the influence of Andalusian Landscapes on his culinary work.

gallery_8158_5171_8958.jpg

Jose Andres, the irrepressible chef from Washington, D.C. translated.

Garcia showed clips of the Andalusian landscape and fascinating examples of his work based on those land and seascapes. One dish, "Below the Sea - The Ocean and the Mist" used various edible components to produce a seascape worthy of many an aquarium. For landscapes he showed "El Torcal de Antequera: Andalusian Rocks Eroded with Time and Seen in Winter, with Chocolate and Orange." Images, descriptions and recipes for these dishes and several others can be found in this PDF article (in Spanish). There is an English translation of the recipe for "El Torcal" in the Starchefs Program.

Another dish he focused on with an on-site demonstration was "The Ingot of Liquid Gold."

gallery_8158_5171_49797.jpg

Garcia's "Liquid Gold". This is a mixture of "aromatic water", gold dust and vegetable gelatin heated to 69ºC.

gallery_8158_5171_1187.jpg

Getting the gold hot and liquidy. At room temperature it is a fairly solid gel.

gallery_8158_5171_34968.jpggallery_8158_5171_32524.jpggallery_8158_5171_1951.jpg

An expert with working with liquid nitrogen, Garcia gave tips for using it safely. For example, It will harmlessly roll off bare skin, but becomes dangerous should it become absorbed in fabric."

gallery_8158_5171_26.jpg

Dani Garcia through the haze of liquid nitrogen

gallery_8158_5171_96195.jpg

An unabashed promoter of Andalusian olive oil, Garcia employs a double entendre as he mixes olive oil with pulverized gold then siphons it into liquid nitrogen, fishes it out and puts it through a Pacojet to get a mousse like consistency, which he then puts in ingot molds and freezes it to -30ºC. To get it really cold he dips the bar into liquid nitrogen for several seconds then dips it into the molten gold to coat it and make it shiny resembling a real gold ingot.

gallery_8158_5171_84195.jpg

gallery_8158_5171_88052.jpggallery_8158_5171_64408.jpg

Garcia composes the plate with ground macadamia nuts and Caviar de Ríofrío

gallery_8158_5171_67440.jpg

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

More from Starchefs on the Pacojet competition including photos and the winning recipes.

I still have a little more to go before I finish this report. I haven't forgotten it, but unfortunately I may not be able to get to it for another week or so.

Twitter - @docsconz

If anyone reading this thread is thinking "I want to run that show next year," Starchefs is looking for a Congress Culinary Director!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

If anyone reading this thread is thinking "I want to run that show next year," Starchefs is looking for a Congress Culinary Director!

Very interesting. That is a big job!

Elena Arzak's technique for Squid Powder and the recipe for Squid “Begi Haundi,” in Abstract can be found here.

Twitter - @docsconz

I just stumbled into this posting, what a wonderful thread. Cooking sure has changed since I retired my Chef jacket and hat. I am the classical cooking type but I still try to keep up with the trends and this thread is just fantastic! Thanks Docsconz!

Gerry

• 3 weeks later...
I just stumbled into this posting, what a wonderful thread. Cooking sure has changed since I retired my Chef jacket and hat. I am the classical cooking type but I still try to keep up with the trends and this thread is just fantastic!  Thanks Docsconz!

Gerry

Thanks! I have been meaning to complete the report, but have been quite busy with a number of things. I hope to do so today or within the next few days.

Twitter - @docsconz

Jose Andres segued from translating for Dani Garcia to demonstrating along with Ruben Garcia and Katsuya Fukushima from Cafe Atlantico/minibar in Washington D.C.

gallery_8158_5171_52769.jpg

Chef Andres' relationship with Ferran Adria is well known as is the influence of elBulli on his work, especially at minibar, which is the closest thing to elBulli on this side of the Atlantic Ocean. Throughout the presentation Chef Andres discussed the techniques he and his team are using now as well as the influence of the Adriaas on their work.

gallery_8158_5171_38730.jpggallery_8158_5171_91822.jpggallery_8158_5171_17208.jpg

The influence of elBulli was clearly demonstrated by Andres' use of the Texturas line of culinary "powders." The Calcic and Algin are used with the technique of "spherification." In English they are Calcium Chloride and Sodium Alginate. This technique, developed and popularized by Ferran Adria, has been put to good and original use at minibar, a demonstration of which was to follow.

gallery_8158_5171_77064.jpggallery_8158_5171_56038.jpggallery_8158_5171_29965.jpg

Using Campbell's Tomato Juice, which had the balance they were looking for, the team prepared tomato spherifications, which they placed in a dehydrator to make "dried tomatoes."

gallery_8158_5171_3511.jpg

gallery_8158_5171_72081.jpggallery_8158_5171_108876.jpggallery_8158_5171_10815.jpg

They spread a soft, creamy cheese, Torta Cañarejal along the base of a plate...

gallery_8158_5171_28681.jpg

Ruben Garcia then added some of the "dried tomatoes"...

gallery_8158_5171_3152.jpg

...some Romesco sauce...

gallery_8158_5171_96743.jpggallery_8158_5171_76174.jpg

gallery_8158_5171_43014.jpggallery_8158_5171_79761.jpg

gallery_8158_5171_57378.jpg

...and one of Chef Andres' favorite ingredients - tomato seeds in nature's own spherificized tomato gelee...

gallery_8158_5171_77174.jpggallery_8158_5171_41198.jpg

...while Ruben Garcia meticulously plated all of the ingredients to produce...

gallery_8158_5171_56172.jpg

...Jose Andres' version of a Caprese Salad.

As this demonstration concluded so did the second annual Starchefs International Chefs Congress. It was now time to celebrate the end of an incredible event...

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks for the comments, Kate.

Here is a link to Starchefs.com with Jose Andres providing basic instructions for the spherification process and additional photos from the Conference..

Twitter - @docsconz

Wow. This was clearly a labor of love and passion on your part.

Grazie mille for taking the time and sharing with us.

Now, on the other hand, there is a whole boat load of new toys that I want to play with...including that nifty kona coffee pot....and for this toy lust, I do blame you, Doc! :laugh::laugh:

Just wanted to add my thanks to you, Doc, for sharing this with us all. Even though I think a lot of these ideas and techniques are way beyond me I always find something that inspires something else!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The Starchefs Rising Stars Review held at The Mansion was the culmination of this year's event. Like last year in the same venue under a different name, this year's event was focused on haute street food concepts prepared by the chefs Starchefs deemed as "Rising Stars" for NYC. These included:

• StarChefs.com 2007 New York Rising Stars:
    Michael Anthony | Gramercy Tavern
    Eric Hara | davidburke & donatella
    Craig Hopson | Picholine
    Chris Lee | Gilt
    Akhtar Nawab | The EU
    Masato Shimizu | 15 East
    Yosuke Suga | L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon
    Damon Wise | Craft
    Sustainability Award: Daniel Eardley | Chestnut
    Restaurant Concept Award: Chris Santos | The Stanton Social
    Hotel Chef Award: Doug Psaltis | Country at The Carlton Hotel
    Pastry Chef Tim Butler | Alto
    Pastry Chef Bill Corbett | Formerly of Anthos
    Mixologist Jim Meehan | PDT
    Sommelier Stephane Colling | The Modern

gallery_8158_5171_38886.jpg

Prior to the opening of the Star Chefs Review proper, there was a VIP reception hosted by Galen Zamarra of Mas (Farmhouse). Unfortunately, because it took me awhile to make my way from 7 WTC to the Mansion, I missed this.

The large crowd sometimes made it difficult to get to specific stalls, but there was plenty of great food and drink to go round.

gallery_8158_5171_94284.jpggallery_8158_5171_73724.jpg

gallery_8158_5171_23170.jpg

Eardley of Chestnut was the lone Brooklyn establishment represented.

gallery_8158_5171_73087.jpg

Farmer Lee Jones chatting with former Rising star Chef Tony Esnault perhaps discussing provisions for the upcomin Adour at the St. Regis Hotel.

gallery_8158_5171_78875.jpggallery_8158_5171_90486.jpg

gallery_8158_5171_44901.jpg

These were tasty nibbles.

gallery_8158_5171_31463.jpg

Chef Anthony sampling an exotic spice.

gallery_8158_5171_38086.jpggallery_8158_5171_33003.jpg

This incredibly tender octopus was one of the most outstanding dishes of the event.

gallery_8158_5171_60613.jpg

The eGullet Society's own John Deragon (Johnder) representing PDT serving cocktails.

gallery_8158_5171_60037.jpg

Former Rising Star Chef Galen Zamarra enjoying the event after the opening VIP reception.

gallery_8158_5171_75438.jpg

Stanton Social chef Chris Santos serving Maine Crabcake Corndogs.

gallery_8158_5171_76009.jpggallery_8158_5171_40294.jpg

gallery_8158_5171_66076.jpg

Brasserie Chef Franklin Becker serves while Clio chef Ken Oringer admires.

gallery_8158_5171_78357.jpg

Jose Andres joining the fun at the Brasserie stall.

gallery_8158_5171_52835.jpg

The eGullet Society's own Donbert at the PDT bar.

gallery_8158_5171_69460.jpg

Donbert bringing drinks to the crew at the L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon station. At least one of the crew is an eGullet Society member, but I'm not sure that he would want to be identified here.

gallery_8158_5171_103248.jpg

Yosuke Suga's Eel and Rougie Foie Gras Terrine from L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon. Believe it or not, I almost missed this. I'm glad I didn't as it was outstanding.

gallery_8158_5171_66006.jpggallery_8158_5171_189.jpg

Doug Psaltis when he was still at Country.

gallery_8158_5171_79731.jpggallery_8158_5171_19650.jpg

Bill Corbett's Sesame in Sesame dessert. He is now the pastry chef at Michael Mina in San Francisco.

gallery_8158_5171_105063.jpg

A sense of the ambiance and scene.

gallery_8158_5171_100133.jpg

eGullet Society member and Staff Emeritus Joe Bavuso (JosephB) going double barrel with the wine glasses. Actually, he was just holding mine while I took the photo. :raz:

Unfortunately I didn't get decent pics of all of the stalls. so I had to leave some out here.

gallery_8158_5171_47739.jpg

The 2007 New York Starchefs Rising Star Chefs flanked by Will Blunt and Antoinette Bruno of Starchefs.com.

Once again, the party proved to be a great culmination to a great event as attendees, presenters, Rising Star Chefs and the general public mingled throughout this large space eating great food and drinking great wines and cocktails. As the organization grows in experience each subsequent event will likely be even better as difficult as that is to imagine.

Twitter - @docsconz

The next Starchefs International Chefs Congress is scheduled for September 14-16, 2008 in NYC.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 months later...
The Starchefs website has a nice little video montage of last year's ICC in addition to a preliminary list of presenting chefs for the 2008 ICC. Once again, the list appears to be first rate including such luminaries as Grant Achatz, Jordi Butron, Carlo Cracco, Joan Roca and Charlie Trotter amongst a host of other notables. The dates are Sept. 14-16th.

Twitter - @docsconz