• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heading to NYC for a class soon

beacheschef

I'm flying to NYC to attend a class at the French Culinary Inst. and

would love some recommendations on shops where I can buy good quality

chocolate / pastry / baking equipment and supplies.

I have to purchase everything through mail order and would LOVE to

"touch and feel" these items before buying.

Thanks - Mary

Beaches Pastry

May your celebrations be sweet!

Beaches Pastry Blog

Mary,

There are two places that head the list.

JB Prince is at 36 East 31st Street. You take an elevator to their showroom. You will find a beautiful showroom that caters to professional chefs and cooks. The people are extremely helpful. You will love this store.

New York Cake is located at 56 West 22nd St. They carry a huge inventory that is strewn around their store. You will find the people unfriendly and uncaring. Nevertheless, they do carry a wide selection at good prices.

There are other destinations, but these are the best baking supply sources,

Have fun in NYC,

Tim

Which classes are you taking?

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

The class at the FCI is: "From Cookies to Cash with Drew Koven" on Oct 13th.

A segment of my business is building very quickly and I need some advice on how to grow it - and it's an excuse to get to NYC!

I've ordered from both places before but forgot that JB Prince has a showroom. Thanks!

Beaches Pastry

May your celebrations be sweet!

Beaches Pastry Blog

Hello,

I agree that JBPrince is a GREAT place to see things that you might hear or read about in person. Another place you might want to check out is Kitchen Arts and Letters on Lexington Avenue, near 96 st. They have the best selection of cookbooks I have ever seen and the staff are very experienced and well informed about the culinary world in NYC and beyond.

Have fun! FCI is my alma-mater!

Hello,

I agree that JBPrince is a GREAT place to see things that you might hear or read about in person. Another place you might want to check out is Kitchen Arts and Letters on Lexington Avenue, near 96 st. They have the best selection of cookbooks I have ever seen and the staff are very experienced and well informed about the culinary world in NYC and beyond.

Have fun! FCI is my alma-mater!

I would also recommend https://www.bakedeco.com/cart/tracking.asp in brooklyn.

Luis

Mary,

There are two places that head the list.

JB Prince is at 36 East 31st Street.  You take an elevator to their showroom.  You will find a beautiful showroom that caters to professional chefs and cooks.  The people are extremely helpful.  You will love this store.

New York Cake is located at 56 West 22nd St.  They carry a huge inventory that is strewn around their store.  You will find the people unfriendly and uncaring.  Nevertheless, they do carry a wide selection at good prices.

There are other destinations, but these are the best baking supply sources,

Have fun in NYC,

Tim

Saying that the people ar NY Cake are unfriendly is much too kind! They're the only place in NYC with all the equipment AND edibles (chocolate, sugar flowers, etc.) under one roof. And, they know they're the only game in town, which makes it even more unbearable. But, we all find ourselves there at one time or another :blink:

That said, I also recommend Pfeil & Holing. They're located in Queens, and offer everything for the home baker as well as for seasoned pros. See them online at http://cakedeco.com/.

I get tons of stuff from them...and they ship!

Edited by onetoughcookie (log)

www.onetoughcookienyc.com

I go to Kerekes (bakedeco) in Brooklyn as well. My significant other is a New Yorker, so I have the benefit of a "private chauffeur" who grew up in Queens to get me there. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get there if it were not for that lucky fact, though. I'm like a kid in a candy store in that place. It would be awfully hard to limit myself if I had to carry everything back on a plane, though! They have a great selection of chocolate molds, dirt cheap half and quarter sheet pans, and I buy parchment paper from them by the case.

I used to visit Broadway Panhandler, just for fun (they are pricey) until they moved from their Broome Street location. I don't know where they are now...

I go to Kerekes (bakedeco) in Brooklyn as well. My significant other is a New Yorker, so I have the benefit of a "private chauffeur" who grew up in Queens to get me there. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get there if it were not for that lucky fact, though. I'm like a kid in a candy store in that place. It would be awfully hard to limit myself if I had to carry everything back on a plane, though! They have a great selection of chocolate molds, dirt cheap half and quarter sheet pans, and I buy parchment paper from them by the case.

I used to visit Broadway Panhandler, just for fun (they are pricey) until they moved from their Broome Street location. I don't know where they are now...

Broadway Panhandler is now on 8th Street, between Broadway and Mercer (I think it's Mercer)..

kind of in the NYU, Astor Place vicinity.

I like them, too!

www.onetoughcookienyc.com