• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Opinions: Custom Knives

Grovite

After years of using the usual suspects (Wusthof, MAC, Shun, Lamson etc.), I'm looking to delve into the world of custom knives.

I've been looking here, there and yonder for the right "One". For whatever reason, I keep going back to the same "one", a Bob Kramer 8" chef knife.

Now, I'm not set on anything and I'm willing to learn, so any opinons and suggestions from you fine folks would be greatly appreciated.

Gear nerd and hash slinger

I have an 8" Kramer and love it, have in fact ordered two more (there's now a long wait list however due partly to the Cook's Illustrated article). It's a comfortable, sharp, well-designed and beautiful knife. As he points out on his web site however, it's made of a high carbon steel and the blade does discolor. You can clean it, and I do clean mine regularly, but it's not shiny like a stainless steel.

I notice on Epicurean Edge there's a maker named Michael Sumner, also from Washington as is Bob K, who also makes really nice looking custom knives from the same steel (52100) with gorgeous looking wooden handles. Bob's are certainly worth waiting for, but this might be an alternative if you're anxious.

I've collected custom knives for 35+ years. In that time period, I have purchased a few for kitchen work, mostly Japanese but a few traditional Western. I finally standardised on Wusthof about 10 years ago. The reason being, that there is no custom maker that produces a full range of knives such as Wusthof. If you purchase strictly custom or a mix, what you end up with is a hodge podge of knives that fit and cut differently. Custom blades are also usually shorter than the 10", 12" and 14" Wusthof I use. Wusthof knives all feel and cut similarly with the Cordon Bleu range being closer to what one might term easier cutting. The Cordon Bleu knives are a small subset of the Wusthof 'Classic' line, so one must mix the two to have a full range.

If your needs are satisfied by a couple of knives, then a custom maker may be for you but if you need/want a full range of knives that are similar, then look at a commercial line.

The one thing you don't want to do is get caught up in a discussion of which custom is best. Then you enter the realm of the enthusiast where the objective is not use but technical trivia.-Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)

Go ahead and get custom made, who said knives had to match? And you probably have knife types that you use more than others because of the kind of things you cook and the way you use different knives. And it's more fun!

I also noticed that I misdirected you on the Kramer alternative, it's Mike Rader from Sumner Washington, not Mike Sumner.

Funny, I looked for Mike Sumner and obviously didn't find anything so I gave up. Mike Radar has some real nice knives. I almost bought one but then I looked at what I already have and the balance in my checking account. Reality set in real quick. Seriously though, great stuff but I wish he made them a few inches longer. Drew at EE.com thinks very highly of them.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

This "custom knives are too short" talk is baffling. Any real custom knife maker will make the knife however you want. Hence the term "custom." If you want the knife to be 13 3/8" long, just ask for that length. And if you want a stainless steel, of for a set of 9 knives that all are perfectly matched- ask for it.

There are dozens upon dozens of custom makers out there, and they all work with the same commercially available steels. Just choose one who's waiting list is not too long, and who is willing to make what you like.

Any dish you make will only taste as good as the ingredients you put into it. If you use poor quality meats, old herbs and tasteless winter tomatoes I don’t even want to hear that the lasagna recipe I gave you turned out poorly. You're a cook, not a magician.

Mike, if you're referring to my post regarding the shortness of Radar's knives, you are 100% correct that any custom knife maker can make pretty much any knife the way you'd like but I never made the blanket statement that "custom knives are too short". Those knives at EE.com made by Radar are knives made to the makers specs with the intent to sell them to the public. They were never "custom" knives commissioned by an individual and yes, these hand made knives are too short for me to consider for purchase. If it was me that was in the market for a true custom blade I certainly wouldn't wait for it to show up for sale on the internet. Nor would I buy one of his knives and call it a custom.

Mike, if you're referring to my post regarding the shortness of Radar's knives, you are 100% correct that any custom knife maker can make pretty much any knife the way you'd like but I never made the blanket statement that "custom knives are too short".  Those knives at EE.com made by Radar are knives made to the makers specs with the intent to sell them to the public.  They were never "custom" knives commissioned by an individual and yes, these hand made knives are too short for me to consider for purchase.  If it was me that was in the market for a true custom blade I certainly wouldn't wait for it to show up for sale on the internet.  Nor would I buy one of his knives and call it a custom.

Fair enough, but I don't want people to be turned away from an awesome resource because they think these are a fixed size. You had commented that you wished Mike Rader made his knives a few inches longer. I'm just saying that I'm sure he would- and all you would need to do is ask.

Another tidbit- sometimes it's cheaper to buy direct from a maker instead of from a second party. In fact, I've found that this is usually the case. The only downside is you will have to wait for the knife to be made. But since it's something you will have for a lifetime (or at least a very very long time) I think it's well worth it.

Any dish you make will only taste as good as the ingredients you put into it. If you use poor quality meats, old herbs and tasteless winter tomatoes I don’t even want to hear that the lasagna recipe I gave you turned out poorly. You're a cook, not a magician.

Exactly and agreed...we're on the same page. It most likely would be cheaper direct...that's a good point. Depending on the maker, the wait could be anywhere from a few months to a year or more. A simple inquiry as you stated is all that's needed. You might be pleasantly surprised too.