• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes Using Korean Rice Cakes?

Just to clarify, I'm NOT referring to the sweet kind :raz: I'm talking about the ones you can make into stir fried dishes and so on.

I love Korean food but admittedly haven't really explored enough of it just yet... so I figured I could get a kick start by trying to cook with Korean rice cakes.

Problem is, I've got no idea where to start!

I'm basically looking for something not too much of an acquired taste (as my parents can be a bit difficult with their eating habits) and would make a delicious dinner meal. Oh and not too complex to cook considering my fairly basic skills :raz:

So if anyone can offer me some recipes, that'd be great! :biggrin:

Lip smacking pictures are also welcome :wink:

Btw, do you have to cook the rice cakes before you can use it?

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Just to clarify, I'm NOT referring to the sweet kind :raz: I'm talking about the ones you can make into stir fried dishes and so on.

I love Korean food but admittedly haven't really explored enough of it just yet... so I figured I could get a kick start by trying to cook with Korean rice cakes.

Problem is, I've got no idea where to start!

I'm basically looking for something not too much of an acquired taste (as my parents can be a bit difficult with their eating habits) and would make a delicious dinner meal. Oh and not too complex to cook considering my fairly basic skills  :raz:

So if anyone can offer me some recipes, that'd be great!  :biggrin:

Lip smacking pictures are also welcome  :wink:

Btw, do you have to cook the rice cakes before you can use it?

I was thinking you can make Korean rice cake soup (??, ddeok kuk). I have no recipe to give you because I usually don't measure, but this recipe from A Korean Mother's Cooking Notes seems about right. I paraphrased and some how enlongated the explaination on how to make it. :rolleyes: I guess I am a little windbag! :blink::biggrin:

6 cups Rice Cake ovalettes

1 egg

1/4 cup Sliced green onion

2 tsp. Soup Soy sauce

1 tsp salt

Broth

1 lb beef brisket

2-3 cloves of garlic

1 tsp. salt

3-4 stalk green onions

8 cups water

Beef seasoning

1/4 lb beef

1/2 Tbsp. sugar

1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce

1 tsp. chopped garlic

1 tsp. sesame oil

1/4 tsp. black pepper

Bring the broth ingredients to roiling boil then place on medium heat for 2 hours. The broth should reduce to about 6 cups and then add the 2 tsp. soup soy sauce, and the Tbsp. of salt.*

If the rice cakes are frozen they need to come to room temp. Then soak them for 20 minutes, then drain.

Take out the beef and slice into strips, mixing it with the beef seasoning and stirfry.

When the broth is at a roiling boil add the rice cake, and when the rice cake float to the top it should be done, but I always try one to be sure. :raz::laugh: It should be chewy not mushy.

Beat an egg with a little sesame oil, and drizzle it into the soup**

Add the green onions.

and let it cook for a couple more minutes then place in individual bowls and garnish with beef strips.

**You can garnish each bowl with egg instead of shred of egg in the soup. It will look a little bit nicer in the bowls. Separate the yolk from whites, and make sure the beat them to make them uniform. Fry the egg white and yolk separately and when cool slice into strips or diamond shapes and garnish each soup bowl.

* If you want to cheat and make a quicker meal you can 1) have beef broth already made some people use stock. 2) Cheat which will not give as a rich soup, but works good in a pinch. Slice the beef ahead and stirfy the meat with a little sesame oil til almost cooked then boil. When it starts to boil hard add the 2-3 cloves or garlic and boil for 30 minutes.Then proceed with the rest of the recipe skipping the beef seasoning. I do this when I am at home by myself or don't feel like cooking much.

If I have the time I will try to write down my recipe. If you want another opinion just google search korean rice cake soup, and you will get a lot of hits with recipes. Also you can make a non spicy version of the korean ddeokbbokki, but I will have to find that recipe somewhere in my moving boxes.

Edited by milgwimper (log)

milgwimper:: You are so cute ahaha! Thanks alot for the recipe -I really enjoy the Korean love of mixing sesame with soy sauce, sugar and so on. It's such a perfect combination :wub:

How much is "6 cups Rice Cake ovalettes" though? lol! My mind doesn't work in terms of cups unless it's liquid hahaha! Stupid me...

Oh and you're a newbie like me too! Hi -welcome! :biggrin:

milgwimper:: You are so cute ahaha! Thanks alot for the recipe -I really enjoy the Korean love of mixing sesame with soy sauce, sugar and so on. It's such a perfect combination  :wub:

How much is "6 cups Rice Cake ovalettes" though? lol! My mind doesn't work in terms of cups unless it's liquid hahaha! Stupid me...

:biggrin: Welcome Ce'nedra! Yeah I am a new poster but a VERY long Lurker...Hmmm the weight of the ddeok... I knew I should have weighed some but I don't have any in the house right now. :angry: I am thinking the weight of the rice cake is around 400 grams. I will try to get to the store tomorrow and buy a package and make the recipe, but I can't promise anything I am still in the throws of trying to get my house in order. Not to mention Volks fest is going to start next weekend. :wacko::rolleyes:

Is your name from the David Eddings book?

milgwimper:: You are so cute ahaha! Thanks alot for the recipe -I really enjoy the Korean love of mixing sesame with soy sauce, sugar and so on. It's such a perfect combination  :wub:

:biggrin: Welcome Ce'nedra! Yeah I am a new poster but a VERY long Lurker...Hmmm the weight of the ddeok... I knew I should have weighed some but I don't have any in the house right now. :angry: I am thinking the weight of the rice cake is around 400 grams. I will try to get to the store tomorrow and buy a package and make the recipe, but I can't promise anything I am still in the throws of trying to get my house in order. Not to mention Volks fest is going to start next weekend. :wacko::rolleyes:

Is your name from the David Eddings book?

I've been 'lurking' around this forum for quite awhile too ha! :raz:

That's fine with me -I can always wait. No rush here :)

Oh yes! Ce'nedra from The Belgariad. Wow you read it too?! I love David Eddings -my absolute favourite author :wub: Great characters ;)