• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] Houston Restaurant Week List

Morgan_Weber

So here's the deal:

After a pretty hard summer restaurant-wise (unless you were named Reef), this fall/winter is looking pretty busy for most of the higher end and a lot of the hotel restaurants, given that the end of september until late december/early jan are our busiest times. Around those times, restaurants could book tables for full price so it would be hard to turn away customers willing to pay full price instead of offering a three course meals that is probably going to be a bare bones idea of what the restaurant is about, where the restaurant has to pay 500 dollars to even be listed then pay another six dolars out of every meal sold. So with food cost/labor, it's pretty much a buttfuck. Now if it were say... august or early september, I could see lots of restaurants signing up for this (which I think they're changing to next year.) but this year's a goner, it's just not worth it. People have gotta make their bottom line. Shame for the charity involved.

• 8 months later...
Please tell me they are going to add to this list.... :hmmm:

http://www.houstonrestaurantweek.com/#How%20It%20Works

have you taken a look at the list of restaurants for this year? 1 more month to go before the list of restaurants and their corresponding menus are finalized. not too impressed so far.

could i even spend $35 on a 3 course meal on a normal night at some of these places if i tried? dharma cafe, open city, hungry's???? i know it's for charity and all, but COME ON...

the first day of restaurant week in NYC was like christmas day for me (only better b/c it came around twice a year). most of the top restaurants participated even if it were for weekday lunches only. how do you think a girl making $60K and paying $1200 in rent every month could afford to eat at craft, cafe boulud, eleven madison park, fleur de sel, gramercy tavern, and le cirque twice a year?

Edited by neverfull (log)

"Our lives are not in the lap of the gods, but in the lap of our cooks."

-Lin Yutang, The Importance of Living, 1937

have you taken a look at the list of restaurants for this year? 1 more month to go before the list of restaurants and their corresponding menus are finalized. not too impressed so far.

could i even spend $35 on a 3 course meal on a normal night at some of these places if i tried? dharma cafe, open city, hungry's???? i know it's for charity and all, but COME ON...

the first day of restaurant week in NYC was like christmas day for me (only better b/c it came around twice a year). most of the top restaurants participated even if it were for weekday lunches only. how do you think a girl making $60K and paying $1200 in rent every month could afford to eat at craft, cafe boulud, eleven madison park, fleur de sel, gramercy tavern, and le cirque twice a year?

Seriously! Why don't Houston Restaurant's get restaurant week. Dallas's is awesome. I don't want to eat at 3/4 of those places under normal circumstances or cheap restaurant-week circumstances. I don't understand.

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to chime in about Houston Restaurant week this year. As a quick disclaimer, I have to say I am on the planning committee so my views are definitely a little biased.

We are working very diligently to get as many restaurants involved this year. We have recently added some really great restaurants (VOICE, *17, Cafe Annie, Glass Wall, Max's Wine Dive--just to name a few) and are currently in discussions with a lot of others in hope of getting more restaurants to participate. We already have 37 restaurants participating, which is more than double the amount from last year. We would love it if every restaurant in town would be a part of this event but unfortunately some restaurants do not feel it is right for them.

Keep checking the website www.HoustonRestaurantWeek.com to see an updated list of participating restaurants. It is a great opportunity to try out new restaurants or old favorites for a reasonable price while helping to contribute to a great charity, Houston's End Hunger Network. We are going to start posting the menus online soon so hopefully those will generate some interesting discussions about what menu items sound the most intriguing.

Take care.

Seriously! Why don't Houston Restaurant's get restaurant week. Dallas's is awesome. I don't want to eat at 3/4 of those places under normal circumstances or cheap restaurant-week circumstances. I don't understand.

• 5 weeks later...

We've got reservations at VOICE for Monday. I'd like to try *17 too. I've never been to Daily Review Cafe but their selection looks great for that week.

Anyone else going out?

Edited by apronless (log)