• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hand-held vacuum food saver

Anna N

Yesterday in Gourmet Magazine's newsletter, Ruth Reichl wrote:

The handheld gadget is small (about nine inches long), inexpensive (9.99, including batteries), sold in supermarkets, and easy to use. It's also addictively fun—I've found myself vacuum-packing everything from fresh blueberries to angora sweaters, and the possibilities seem almost endless.

But I have googled for it endlessly and found nothing.

Has anyone seen this or, even better, tested it?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna,

I think this may be the item.  FoodSaver Handheld Vacuum Sealer

This is not available in supermarkets and is not battery powered but it is cheap.

Tim

Tim,

I don't believe this is the gadget that Ruth is promoting. I was trying hard to avoid any copyright issues so quoted only a small portion of the piece but elsewhere she refers to the manufacturer as being Reynolds (of foil fame???). Also from the context I think it works with bags rather than containers but that is not so clear.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I found bits and pieces when I Googled it. It's supposed to be available after October 1. I, for one, can't wait to see it, and will undoubtedly give it a try.

I have the larger vacuum system and while it performs well, it's a pain in the butt to drag out and use. Which means I don't use it as much as I would like. Wasting fresh vegetables, due to spoilage, is a real issue in our house, and I'm hoping this will help.

I found bits and pieces when I Googled it.  It's supposed to be available after October 1.  I, for one, can't wait to see it, and will undoubtedly give it a try.

I have the larger vacuum system and while it performs well, it's a pain in the butt to drag out and use.  Which means I don't use it as much as I would like.  Wasting fresh vegetables, due to spoilage, is a real issue in our house, and I'm hoping this will help.

Oh good - October 1 in the USA - we should see it here by the end of 2008! Amazing how long before we see things here that are readily available just a few miles away. Like you I have the big jobbie which sits on my counter but this one sounds much handier. I wonder what bags they will use.

My 2004 eG Blog

I have the larger vacuum system and while it performs well, it's a pain in the butt to drag out and use.  Which means I don't use it as much as I would like.  Wasting fresh vegetables, due to spoilage, is a real issue in our house, and I'm hoping this will help.

I'm in the same boat, jgm. I have a food saver but it's too much of a hassle to drag out every time I want to store a head of lettuce in the fridge. Try the green bags. They really work, and they are re-usable. I'm just beginning to toss out some of the bags (because they've lost their effectiveness) that I started using more than 6 months ago. Vegetables last so much longer using green bags - I'd guess at least 2-3 times longer.

I have a Food Saver. I also thought it was a pain to pull out every time I used it.

I finally cleared the bottom shelf in an above counter cabinet,and put it there, accessories on the side. Now I open the cabinet door, pull it down on the counter, use it, and put it back. Takes seconds.

I now use it every time I need it.

It was a good move for me. It's been worth it in celery and berries alone.

• 2 weeks later...

No such luck but now it's on their website!

My 2004 eG Blog

Might this be the item in question? 

I have the large FoodSaver as well and use it all the time. (I keep it on top of the fridge.)  However, since I'm easily intrigued by the notion of spending money on kitchen gadgets, I wouldn't mind having both. 

-- Lisa

Nope - it's the one on the Reynolds website (above). But thanks.

My 2004 eG Blog

I bought my hand my hand held vacuum gadget yesterday at Wal-Mart. In Galena, IL. If it's here it's got to be elsewhere. I love it, love it, love it. It was $9.99 as stated including the gadget, with batteries and three bags. Additional bags were around $3.40 for 14 quart sized bags or 9 gallon sized bags. The bags have a little round one way air valve in the upper right hand corner.

Once you get the hang of this it works really well. You lay the top corner of the bag on a flat surface, place the suction tip of the gadget over the hole and press the on button until all the air is sucked out. I learned that you have to press enough to have full contact with the valve but not too hard or the air can't get to the valve. The whole gadget is a little bigger than an electric shaver. It's great!

I bought my hand my hand held vacuum gadget yesterday at Wal-Mart. In Galena, IL.  If it's here it's got to be elsewhere.  I love it, love it, love it.  It was $9.99 as stated including the gadget, with batteries and three bags.  Additional bags were around $3.40 for 14 quart sized bags or 9 gallon sized bags.  The bags have a little round one way air valve in the upper right hand corner. 

Once you get the hang of this it works really well.  You lay the top corner of the bag on a flat surface, place the suction tip of the gadget over the hole and press the on button until all the air is sucked out.  I learned that you have to press enough to have full contact with the valve but not too hard or the air can't get to the valve.  The whole gadget is a little bigger than an electric shaver.  It's great!

Thanks for this first report! It sounds like a "must-have" but possibly as an adjunct to the FoodSaver system rather than a replacement.

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...

Well I am now the owner of one of these little gadgets and I have to say that so far I am impressed. I don't think it will ever replace my FoodSaver but it shines in areas that the FoodSaver doesn't. For example I like to keep a bag of trimmings for later use in stock and this system allows me to quickly open up a sealed bag, add more trimmings and quickly re-vacuum it. Similarly with luncheon meats where you need a few slices and want to re-seal the remainder for use later in the week.

Unlike my own model of the FoodSaver this little gadget allows you to stop the vacuum BEFORE you have totally squished delicate items. Of course, the vacuum in that case is not complete but it will still keep things fresher than many other wraps.

As someone else noted it is about the size of an electric razor so for those who are very short on counter space this easily fits in a drawer.

A little nit-picking - the battery compartment is held by a small screw so you need a screwdriver handy to change batteries and the base is rounded which means it won't stand upright up yet I instinctively try to stand it upright!

I've only had it for a very short time so I can't tell you much about how stable the vacuum is or how long the batteries last (it does require a lot of batteries - 6 AA cells!) but so far I think it's a great little tool for certain applications.

My 2004 eG Blog

I've been experimenting with one of these for doing sous vide: as I report over in the sous vide thread, they are remarkably tough bags. I held one at 190 F for 10 hours with no problems. In addition, you can actually use the bags even without the Reynolds vacuum if you own a wine-saver type pump (electric or manual both work, also reported on over in the sous vide thread).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I found the Handi-Vac system on Amazon, but for some reason it's $23.75 for the same thing that supposedly sells for about $10 at Wal-Mart. My Wal-Mart is a long bus ride away, and I can't find this on their website, but to save $13+ bucks, I guess I'll go a-hunting. WHY isn't Reynolds advertising this thing and selling it at more stores?

I finally did get one, and so far, so good! I have some cooked, de-boned chicken and some pearl onions in the freezer; I actually got around to dating the bags before chucking them in there, so we should know in a few weeks, how well these things hold up.

Has anyone tried them for storing fresh vegetables?

I found the Handi-Vac system on Amazon, but for some reason it's $23.75 for the same thing that supposedly sells for about $10 at Wal-Mart.  My Wal-Mart is a long bus ride away, and I can't find this on their website, but to save $13+ bucks, I guess I'll go a-hunting.  WHY isn't Reynolds advertising this thing and selling it at more stores?

The newspapers here have had $2.50 coupons, and one of the local grocery chains offer a $5 rebate. So, I have a Handi-Vac set for the grand total of $1.04 (sales tax and postage for rebate).

A little nit-picking - the battery compartment is held by a small screw so you need a screwdriver handy to change batteries and the base is rounded which means it won't stand upright up yet I instinctively try to stand it upright!

I've only had it for a very short time so I can't tell you much about how stable the vacuum is or how long the batteries last (it does require a lot of batteries - 6 AA cells!) but so far I think it's a great little tool for certain applications.

Thanks for this Anna N. I made the mistake of unscrewing the screw holding the battery compartment closed, thinking the batteries would be shielded until first use. Big Mistake! The screw doesn't go straight in. It's angled and it's also quite small so not so easy to get in.

You don't need to open the battery compartment. The unit is ready to go when you open the darn plastic packaging.

It was under ten bucks at WalMart. That's a pretty good price given that it comes with 6 AA batteries (that's half the cost of the unit itself!). It works pretty well for such a small rinky-dink unit. So far, I'm impressed.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Woo hoo! Finally found it (At Fred Meyer in Ballard). I think it was around $8 - I got one for Mom, too. There is a little tab to pull to make the batteries operable. I'm looking forward to playing with this new toy this weekend. :smile:

Woo hoo!  Finally found it (At Fred Meyer in Ballard).  I think it was around $8 - I got one for Mom, too.  There is a little tab to pull to make the batteries operable.  I'm looking forward to playing with this new toy this weekend.  :smile:

I spent an hour there and another 1/2 hr at the greenwood store; NO ONE has a clue what it is or where to look.

I have hated Fred Meyer for years- they make K-mart look like Tiffinay's- since Kroger bought them and introduced more bad service and cheap products to the west, I prefer Albertson's and I can't imagine a trailer park bad enough to accept them.

My God, I'm going to see if there is a Wally World in Seattle's area.

All this for a ten dollar device that sux.

Robert

Seattle