• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

INVENT THIS !

KitchenQueen

I always wanted a kitchen that at the push of a button would seal all of its surfaces and wash everything in the room like the interior of a big dishwasher.  All the water goes down the drain and everything is clean.  Is it too much to ask?

I've always wanted a whole house like this. The main hangup in my mind was always the upholstery, but now with all the new Sunbrella fabrics I think it might be feasible. You could just keep all your books and electronics in cabinets that would be sealed off. But then if I'm honest with myself, the problem is not keeping things clean, it's keeping them tidy. I would still have to put all the books and magazines away before pressing the "power wash" button.

I've obviously spent too much time thinking about this.

I am wondering if I will pull the cabinets down if I mount one of those old wrought iron roll holders like butchers use under my cabinets.  I have large rolls of parchment and aluminum foil that are living on my dryer but really need to be on some sort of dispenser roll.  They are too big to fit on a paper towel rack and I'd like a nice sharp cutting edge, so just a roller doesn't cut it..

One of my neighbors has one mounted on a cutting board that folds down at the end of a line of cabinets - when set up, it is in front of the solid part of a sliding glass door. The brackets for the drop-leaf extension are the same as those used on heavy folding tables. They wrap meats and game for freezing and only need the big roll of butcher paper from time to time but this way it is easily available and out of the way when not needed.

I's like this one: butcher paper roll.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

How about as cast iron frypan, with low sloped sides instead of the medium-height straight "skillet" sides. And, for that matter, I'd love to see cast iron cookware at around double the thickness currently offered.

--

An anti-griddle and an immersion circulator priced for the Target crowd.

I'll second those... and while we're dreaming, a paco jet for the same budget.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I would buy a long, trough-shaped mold that I could line with plastic wrap, for molding logs of cookie dough.  I could probably cut some PVC pipe and accomplish that, but then I'd have to figure out how to make it not roll around on the counter. . .

I've been "chewing" on this for a while... when I was an Orkin man in a previous life... we used to make "no lite" fly lites out of pvc rain gutter... which is almost exactly what you are looking for. Flat on the bottom... and you can GLUE the half round to it to hold it in place with PVC glue and put the whole contraption in the dish washer when done to make it sanitary for the next use.

hvr :blink:

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

I would buy a long, trough-shaped mold that I could line with plastic wrap, for molding logs of cookie dough.  I could probably cut some PVC pipe and accomplish that, but then I'd have to figure out how to make it not roll around on the counter. . .

I've been "chewing" on this for a while... when I was an Orkin man in a previous life... we used to make "no lite" fly lites out of pvc rain gutter... which is almost exactly what you are looking for. Flat on the bottom... and you can GLUE the half round to it to hold it in place with PVC glue and put the whole contraption in the dish washer when done to make it sanitary for the next use.

hvr :blink:

Or you could just use one of these baguette forms.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

And I'm tired of water in a pan on the oven bottom, and/or  opening the door to spray.  There's got to be a better way.

What do you want?

Do you mean for baking bread that requires steam? I have one of These and it works like a charm!

I thought you meant this http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Cooking-Bakew...c_~opinion_list

I have never in my life seen anythng that makes crusty perfect breads like this. I tried it twice and bought 3 more. Absolute perfection. I don't think they're made anymore. I searched for 3 months on EBAY till I found some more. Some place in California still had some.

My later purchases had more inserts for different foods, not just loaves.

This should have been the biggest selling pan ever made. People rave over bread made in this thing. And no, I was not one of those who posted an opinion on that site. But I agree.

I paid about 25 bucks each for them. I honestly would laugh at an offer of $200.00.

I got curious and went back to Ebay. There's one place left still selling them.

The original is the top photo, silver color, but move down and you'll see on the left that's black, with more inserts. I have both. I tried them side by side, and there was NO difference in the bread. I expected a difference, but there was none.

And I can't believe what they're selling for now.

I'm buying a boatload for Christmas gifts. I am gonna get SO hugged after the recipients try them once.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ARTISAN-FRENCH-BREAD-B...7QQcmdZViewItem

I working on a risotto machine, and you all have to buy it.

Well, not really, but I wonder if anybody has tried. I want the option of finishing by hand unlike my ice cream maker.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I always wanted a kitchen that at the push of a button would seal all of its surfaces and wash everything in the room like the interior of a big dishwasher.  All the water goes down the drain and everything is clean.  Is it too much to ask?

I've always wanted a whole house like this. The main hangup in my mind was always the upholstery, but now with all the new Sunbrella fabrics I think it might be feasible. You could just keep all your books and electronics in cabinets that would be sealed off. But then if I'm honest with myself, the problem is not keeping things clean, it's keeping them tidy. I would still have to put all the books and magazines away before pressing the "power wash" button.

I've obviously spent too much time thinking about this.

There was a Simpsons episode about this. The house did everything, and spoke in the seductive voice of Pierce Broznan.

Unfortunately it fell in love with Marge, spied on her in the bath, and tried to kill Homer. But that was version 1.0.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

• 4 months later...

We had a house like that...in one of my bedtime story sagas. I'm not telling you the name, in case you run off and sell the movie rights out from under me! :laugh:

The scanner inventory system...elder son has been nagging me for nearly 2 years to buy him the necesary hardware to set up just such a system.

I'm with the people who want either their counters or their floors to rise and sink on demand. It's painful for me to wash dishes at a Japanese-height counter and sink.

And what about those useless under-floor storage cabinets? Why can't they REALLY not get moldy? Not so very hard, surely.

A Refrigerator, with an electronic remote wireless door integrated CALENDAR,

stating such as current day date and time, plus all listings all appointments as entered into your computer's homepage Google Calendar.

Get the Cream for the Coffee in the Morning and it ' barks ' at you:

attention: do this do that, this is the day to........:

"see Dr. Doe at 11:45 for ......"

Peter

A Refrigerator, with an electronic remote wireless door integrated CALENDAR,

stating such as current day date and time, plus all listings all appointments as entered into your computer's homepage Google Calendar.

Get the Cream for the Coffee in the Morning and it ' barks ' at you:

attention: do this do that, this is the day to........:

"see Dr. Doe at 11:45 for ......"

Peter - they have those refrigerators here in Korea. Everything is scanned and listed inside the fridge. There is an LCD monitor on one of the doors and it can list all the items inside the fridge, the date it was purchased or made and even promts the user if the milk is running low or if you're out of sodas. You can also watch TV on the LCD screen, access your email, check your calendar/memo/things to do today or call up a recipe. It also prompts you with all the your appointments for the day (integrated from your computer's calendar).

The PLUS thing is that you can email/call your fridge on your celphone to automatically defrost the steak that you have placed in the defrosting facility. Yes, the fridge is online, which means you can access your fridge contents to find out what you need to add to your grocery cart.

Oh they have gas ranges that are hooked on the internet, too. Set a pot of water on the gas range and you can call on your celphone or email your stove to automatically turn on and start boiling that huge pot of water while you're in your car stuck in traffic.

I've seen these products already advertised here in Korea for the posh, luxury apartments in Seoul.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Can you post a link to one? (Maybe one n English...??)

That sounds AMAZING.

Sorry dockhl, I just saw these on the TV. The internet/celphone connected stove were advertised two years ago, while the smart fridge have recently been advertised for about 6 months now. The luxury apartments that promote all these advertising is called Jai Apartments.

It used to gall my son, whose nickname is Jai, because the ads would end... "I love..JAI." :biggrin:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

• 3 weeks later...

A spiral slicer for home use so that I could spiral slice my own hams or even a whole roasted turkey breast or leg of lamb. I'm not a huge fan of the flavor/texture of most of the spiral sliced hams sold around the holidays. A combination regular slicer--from see through paper thin to thick, even slices of meats and vegetables--and a spiral slicing feature. I know a combo like this doesn't even exist commercially, but it would be so cool have one for the home.

I'll be posting the same wish on the recent thread started by the kitchen equipment designer.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

A spiral slicer for home use so that I could spiral slice my own hams or even a whole roasted turkey breast or leg of lamb. I'm not a huge fan of the flavor/texture of most of the spiral sliced hams sold around the holidays. A combination regular slicer--from see through paper thin to thick, even slices of meats and vegetables--and a spiral slicing feature. I know a combo like this doesn't even exist commercially, but it would be so cool have one for the home.

I'll be posting the same wish on the recent thread started by the kitchen equipment designer.

Maybe I should break out my old Shopsmith and Ronson electric carving knife and see how that would work. :rolleyes:

I bet it's possible.

I want an remote digital thermometer *with a pan clip* and a timer/alarm function.

It's idiotic to have meat thermometers and candy thermometers. Why can't I have one that does both?

Measuring sets built like the OXO cookie scoops for mayo/butter/honey, etc. The convenience and cleanup of those little plunger suckers that Alton Brown likes, but with less chance of getting honey all over my fingers trying to load the dang thing up.

Stickup battery powered lights in a natural colour for making my stove better lit. The current "dot" lights are way too blue to make anything look yummy.