• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

smoked tuna in Madrid

butterfly

Hola foreros--

We all developed a deep and abiding love of atún ahumado on a recent trip to Barbate. We brought a bunch back, but our stash has run out. I've been looking for it in the markets in Madrid and can't seem to find anything as good as what we had there. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on some of the good stuff? If not, it looks like we'll be mail ordering it...

And, while I'm at it, if you have any other tips on places that carry other great ahumados (like bacalao), I'd be happy to get them.

Muchísimas gracias.

After tasting Carpier's products, I think they are the best fish smoking company in Spain. Carlos Piernas, the owner, is passionate about all things fish.

I don't know if they deliver to Madrid, but I'll find out. This is their web: Carpier's site

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Thanks for the responses (and keep them coming, please!). I haven't tried either one of these producers, but they both look great.

Pablo: have you seen Riofrío's products for sale anywhere in Madrid? Or do you mail order them? I wonder if there is a market stall or store here that specializes in ahumados...