• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's your favorite Nutella dessert?

jende

I want to incorporate Nutella -- God's gifts to mouths -- into dessert for a dinner party. I've made Nutella brownies, tarts, etc. but my favorite way to eat it is slathered on a hunk of plain white bread. I love the blast of flavor and gooey texture you get by eating Nutella in its pure form.

That said, I'd like to do something just a little more elegant than the "slather on the hunk" for my friends. Any ideas?

For inspiration, the Italian Nutella site has a couple of pages of desserts which you can view here.

There's also the "Sensations Nutella" book (French only) by Philippe Conticini. If you do a search for "Conticini" and "Nutella," you can find info about some of the desserts that were served at his Nutella cafe (La Table Nutella).

How about a simple trio of Nutella cookies, cake/tart and mouse?

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I should've mentioned that I LOVE Nutella crepes, and I agree that they truly highlight the Nutella yet are elegant too. I thought about making those, but I'm too lazy to make crepes with everything else I have to cook. A gourmet shop near me sells crepes, so I could buy them and fill with Nutella.

Unfortunately, I do have the Americano Nutella but I'm going to Italy next month and plan to stock up on the real deal!

I'm going to check out that book by Contincini and the posts some of you have linked. Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately, I do have the Americano Nutella but I'm going to Italy next month and plan to stock up on the real deal!

I'm curious. What's the difference? The stuff sold in the USA is the only kind I have had.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I'm curious. What's the difference? The stuff sold in the USA is the only kind I have had.

From what I hear, the Euro version does not have hydrogenated oils (US version does) and somehow it's even more delicious. There's got to be a source for the Euro version in the US, though, doesn't there? (anyone know?)

I've had Trader Joe's Nutella knock-off and it's very good. I've never looked at the ingredients, because I think it's best not to know how many calories I'm consuming, but I hear TJ's doesn't have hydrogenated oil.

That is the major difference. I've tried to buy the Euro stuff for my store many, many times, but with no luck because Ferrero has a US office, so they limit distribution. You can buy the real deal at www.malincho.com who has good prices and good stuff.

I am such a fan that on a recent visit to Italy I found "Cucinare con la Nutella" and it is full of recipes. I grew up eating Nutella and I cannot buy it anymore because I cannot stop. I still remember the famous "Che mondo sarebbe senza Nutella?

I love Nutella crepes, with vanilla ice cream and then a chocolate sauce that I make with giandujoti, sprinkle a few chopped hazelnuts, powdered sugar....heaven.

• 3 weeks later...

Try the pie recipe-YUMMY!

Our litttle town's County Fair was this weekend and I like to enter the baking contest every year. So this year I made 2 cakes that took a bit of time and I wanted to do the pie recipe too, but ran out of time; early the next morning I still wanted to do the pie and literally ran around the kitchen whipping it up-improvised on the crust, and just threw it together. Wouldn't you know it -the easiest, most thrown together Nutella pie won 1st place!! To me the pie tastes like litely flavored Nutella and a combo of melted chocolate ice cream-delicious!

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

I like to use them in a standard peanut butter cookie recipe adjusting for the sugar in the Nutella and adding some oats- then sandwich or serve with a ginger or just vanilla ice cream

Try the pie recipe-YUMMY!

Our litttle town's County Fair was this weekend and I like to enter the baking contest every year.  So this year I made 2 cakes that took a bit of time and I wanted to do the pie recipe too, but ran out of time; early the next morning I still wanted to do the pie  and literally ran around the kitchen whipping it up-improvised on the crust, and just threw it together.  Wouldn't you know it -the easiest, most thrown together Nutella pie won 1st place!! To me the pie tastes like litely flavored Nutella and a combo of melted chocolate ice cream-delicious!

I'd love to know just exactly how you made that "easiest, most thrown together Nutella pie."

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Sorry, I realized now I clicked on post #11 for the 'more about Nutella' and then on that thread post #7 will take you to the recipe that is on recipegoldmine.com website.

I wanted to make a from scratch crust, figuring it would result in a little more skill for the contest, so I had no chocolate cookies for the crust. I had some coconut sweet crackers and used that with the butter,vanilla and nuts. I substituted pecans for the hazelnuts both in the crust and the filling. The filling was followed except for the nut sub. I didn't mix it extremely thoroughly so there were chip size morsels of cold nutella that were heavenly when eaten and I grated some dark chocolate over all and that was it.

Of course, it made a nice amount of filling so I kept back a small bowl full, just for tasting purposes of course!

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

Of course, it made a nice amount of filling so I kept back a small bowl full, just for tasting purposes of course!

I also find quality control to be crucial. Of course, of course. :smile:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

After all your great suggestions, I thought I should post back on what I ended up doing. I bought a loaf of fresh challah and made Nutella panini served with homemade chocolate ice cream, similar to what Verjuice describes. It was sooo good.

The buttery bread slathered with Nutella and fried up in more butter until crispy was amazing. I was eating the leftovers for a couple of days, sometimes with banana slices and/or chopped hazelnuts thrown in the mix.

Wow that sound decadently delicious!

I made a nutella dessert this past weekend. It's was like the deli wraps using flour tortillas.

I got cream cheese and sweetned it with 1 tablespoon of vanilla and a 1/4 cup of powdered sugar. I smered that onto a regular flour tortilla and then spread the nutella on top of that. Then I put sliced bananas accross the torts and rolled it up. It actually tasted quite good after it sat for a while.

Rena

After all your great suggestions, I thought I should post back on what I ended up doing. I bought a loaf of fresh challah and made Nutella panini served with homemade chocolate ice cream, similar to what Verjuice describes. It was sooo good.

The buttery bread slathered with Nutella and fried up in more butter until crispy was amazing. I was eating the leftovers for a couple of days, sometimes with banana slices and/or chopped hazelnuts thrown in the mix.

In the summer I do this on the grill with Nutella and strawberries between poundcake. Wrap in foil and press like crazy with a spatula til flat and gooey! yum!

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Add Nutella to your favourite Rum Balls recipe.

Fill pear halves with Nutella, top with meringue and brown with torch or under the grill.

Add Nutella to Eton Mess, and strawberries or raspberries or chopped pears.

Spread on Panettone slices, and make individual Bread Puddings.

Alternate Nutella and mascarpone in Tiramisu recipe.

Use Nutella as topping for minicheesecakes.

Etc. etc....

Edited by maremosso (log)