• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese duck eggs

Trillium, would you be willing to elaborate on the complete brining (or salting) technique you used?  Do you start with raw eggs, etc?

Sure. We started with raw duck eggs that we bought at the farmer's market. We heated up what looked like enough water and then added salt (we used bulk sea salt, you could do that or use kosher) until the solution wouldn't dissolve any more (if you're a chemist, you basically just make a supersaturated NaCl solution). Then we threw in a handful of ti kuan yin (this is optional) and let it cool. Then we filled up a jar with the eggs and poured the brine over them, we used one of those Italian jars with a gasket closure. Let it sit out at room temp for 2 weeks to a month in a dark cool place. If you wait a month then they're really salty and can't be eaten as is, but just used in cooking. I asked around because the whole room temp thing kinda freaked me out, and that's pretty much how you do it. The rule is that if you cook the eggs (you cook them like hard boiled eggs) and the yolk is broken when you open it up you don't eat that egg.

regards,

trillium

• 4 weeks later...

update on my first attempt at salty egg:

Tasted better than store-bought.

I only used salt, water, and one chicken egg (I had a small amount of brine left over from making salty limes; plus, I only had one egg in the fridge). Since I have almost complete quality control (e.g. hygiene), the Asian supermarket won't be getting my measly dollar anymore.

Yes, they do, don't they? And it's even more tasty if you can get your hands on some fresh duck eggs! I tend not to worry so much about hygiene (my motto is "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger") but they really do taste better then the mass produced ones, which makes it worthwhile.

regards,

trillium

• 4 years later...

I'm not sure that an environment high in sodium can kill a virus, because a virus is little more than some protein and DNA, so there's not much to kill by, say, osmosis... But don't quote me on that either... I'm not sure if salt can do some crazy denaturing stuff to DNA that I'm unaware of... :hmmm:

Well, how reputable is your salted duck egg dealer? :wink:

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory