• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef!

spqr

wasn't JBR also a consultant to chef! also?

From memory, yes he was. The Caterer website has removed the archived pages from the time, but their were numerous letter posted on the site (one from me at the time) commenting (and criticising) the actions of both JBR and Nigel Marriage.

Edited to add: I tell a lie, it's back on the Caterer's website here

Edited by postcode (log)

Some Chef! Videos.

Unfortunately of the 3 seasons broadcast only the first 6 episode season is available on tape.  It was not until watching these episodes that I realized what a selfish bitch Chef Blackstones wife was...

Upthread there is a link to a fan site that has a banner saying the entire series will be on DVD August of 05

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

• 4 weeks later...

Great news!

A while ago--I could not remember the name of this show (how is it possible I forgot!!!).

I made an inquiry in the UK board and got some good replies!

I loved this show--was well written and well acted--I saw Lenny Henry in a few other things and had trouble accepting him as anyone but the "Chef" he played.

I bought the first two tapes on VHS. They are great. I went to Lenny Henrys site last year and they had said they were in the process of working out all the licensing agreements to release the whole collection on DVD. Well I just hope I can wait that long.

Speaking of Ramsey there is the episode where Chef Blackstock goes off on Everton in front of the camera.

This show is what a kitchen comedy should be modeled after the writers know and understand food and kitchen life.

Rodney

^Big fan here.....

Why do you dislike it so.... TFA?

to be honest , i can`t really remember .

i watched the first few episodes when it was aired in england and didn`t bother to watch it again. can`t say i laughed at the jokes, can`t say i found it entertaining .

lenny henry is a very funny guy. kitchens are very funny places , the show was not .

but i am amazed that it gets such a high regard over here ( vancouver that is ).

some of the lads at work love it. so maybe its cultural , who knows ?

any way how`s you ?

ps sorry about the lack of punctuation an` all that , if theres any pedants reading this .

tt

i recall this being one of the worst things lenny henry has ever done .

to be frank it was just shite !

i only watched it to perv on his wife.

i`ve met a lot of north americans who thing its great

I wonder why that is -- the north americans loving it (I do). Maybe the British thing? My favorite episode was the unpasteurized Stilton. One of my teachers uses the scene where he rants about the wooden cutting board, in a class. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office