• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Milk solids

LCS

I only see "milk solids" on ingredient labels of inferior baked goods. Why would one add milk solids to a recipe? What does it do exactly? Google searches were not very helpful and they sure as hell didn't teach me this at L'Academie de Cuisine... I'm sure my instructor would be gasping in horror why such an ingredient is even piquing my curiosity, but it's just something I've seen on labels for years and have no idea what it does. For milk and white chocolate, it makes sense, but baked products?

I only see "milk solids" on ingredient labels of inferior baked goods.  Why would one add milk solids to a recipe?  What does it do exactly?  Google searches were not very helpful and they sure as hell didn't teach me this at L'Academie de Cuisine... I'm sure my instructor would be gasping in horror why such an ingredient is even piquing my curiosity, but it's just something I've seen on labels for years and have no idea what it does.  For milk and white chocolate, it makes sense, but baked products?

Milk is mostly water, about 90%. Milk solids are what remain once the milk has been dehydrated: fat, protein, and minerals. I have always assumed that milk solids listed as an ingredient in food is simply powdered milk. The reasons for using powdered milk versus fresh milk in mass produced baked goods would be a lower production cost and a longer shelf life.

I only see "milk solids" on ingredient labels of inferior baked goods.  Why would one add milk solids to a recipe?  What does it do exactly?  Google searches were not very helpful and they sure as hell didn't teach me this at L'Academie de Cuisine... I'm sure my instructor would be gasping in horror why such an ingredient is even piquing my curiosity, but it's just something I've seen on labels for years and have no idea what it does.  For milk and white chocolate, it makes sense, but baked products?

Milk is mostly water, about 90%. Milk solids are what remain once the milk has been dehydrated: fat, protein, and minerals. I have always assumed that milk solids listed as an ingredient in food is simply powdered milk. The reasons for using powdered milk versus fresh milk in mass produced baked goods would be a lower production cost and a longer shelf life.

Hmmm... on one Google search finding, I read that milk solids still has liquid in it and powdered milk is made from milk solids with the rest of the liquid removed.