• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I would highly disagree with this statement.

Which statement?

I said that the vast majority of Chinese people do not use fish sauce in their cuisine, which is kind of shown by its lack of availability and the fact that few people have heard of it. (I now learn from this thread that Fujian may be different, but that hardly makes it universal in China.)

Your answer was that it was invented in China, therefore I must be wrong. Maybe it was. I wasn't commenting on where it may or may not have been invented. I was commenting on where it is used. A totally different concept.

The Roman stuff is called liquamen (or garum).

liuzhou

liuzhou

I would highly disagree with this statement.

Which statement?

I said that the vast majority of Chinese people do not use fish sauce in their cuisine, which is kind of shown by its lack of availability and the fact that few people have heard of it. (I now learn from this thread that Fujian may be different, but that hardly makes it universal in China.)

Your answer was that it was invented in China, therefore I must be wrong. Maybe it was. I wasn't commenting on where it may or may not have been invented. I was commenting on where it is used. A totally different concept.

The Roman stuff is called liquamen (or garum).