• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Letters of Recommendation

VPF

I dunno from the restaurant business. In other areas, it is expected that a potential employer will ask for references, and it is recommended that the potential employee not proffer them until asked.

editted to add: having read the next post, I have new perspective on the original question. Asking a current employer to write a letter of rec depends entirely on your relationship with them. Good luck. Start by letting them know how much you appreciate all that they've provided you (opportunity, training, encouragement, whatever. Try to be specific and very very thankful).

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Not sure about the kitchen world, but in the business world it is fine to ask.

A few points:

Ask when you give your notice as people will do it much faster when you see them everyday instead of when you are an ex employee, and your accomplishments will be fresh in their memory.

Proof read it and have your employer correct any errors. A reference letter with typos is less than useless, and most first drafts have them. Bosses won't (or shouldn't) be offended by this.

Don't go asking for one two years after quitting (many people do this).

If you have to ask whether or not you deserve one,... you don't.

That being said, if you kicked ass at your last job, you know it. If you are leaving on good terms, and your former boss didn't offer it, then ask. He may have forgotten in his haste to hire someone else. At that point, it is not considered rude to ask for a letter of recommendation....

Oh, and btw-

When I see a resume, application, and letter of recommendation come in at the same time, I look at all three. This may be more than I do for any other combination of the three. However, although it may get you a quicker interview, it doesn't make it any easier...

Edited by boneface (log)