• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Electric Residential Oven

gfron1

I'm beyond the point of the electric v. gas debate. I want to install a oven/stove in my store to do some light commercial baking and also for classes (hence the need for the stove). The building is 130 years old so gas is not an option. It won't get so much use that I need a commercial unit, and you have to sell a lot of muffins to pay for a hugely expensive oven.

I've perused the many similar previous topics (if I missed an obvious one, feel free to point me). I saw interesting comments bout Miele and Caldera which I'll follow up on.

Any recommendations?

Cadco. Nothing fancy, no electronic doohickeys to fail, uses 120 volt outlet.

Here's mine at home:

gallery_7232_4006_576770.jpg

Also, check out this thread.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

The only caution I have for purchasing this Cadco, which I love, is that the convection fan cannot be turned off - so if you plan on cooking those few things for which convection fans are verboten - I think cheesecake is one- look for something else. However, you may be able to use foil for an air barrier. Ask andisenji for her advice.

Otherwise, this is a workhorse, heats to temp [even 450] in seven minutes, and I'm making space for it in my new house. It takes quarter-sheet pans for its three racks.