• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Orka Silicon Steamer?

nacho

In Today's Austin American Statesman, there's the following mention of a new steamer...

Steamer gets personal

Silicone, which is quickly taking over the kitchen, turns up as the material for a personal steamer, which had us a bit skeptical. But we had to eat our words. Orka's 20-oz. oval container ($15) worked great for three or four servings of haricots verts in a microwave oven. And we could store the leftovers in it, too. The oval steamer can be used in the freezer, conventional oven up to 425 degrees and dishwasher. Available in larger and smaller sizes in black, blue and raspberry colors at Breed & Co. and at amazon.com.

Interesting, I thought, so I looked it up on Amazon. No one has written product reviews yet.

Has anyone seen or tried these? I pretty much refuse to cook things in the microwave b/c it takes the fun out of cooking, I think. But maybe a funky silicone steamer will add an element of fun to it? Is anyone using these things yet?

I think I will stick to the measuring cup with a saucer on top. I dont like "synthetics" in the microwave, but I do like micro-steamed broccoli

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association