• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Olive Oil

John Talbott

Olive oil

This is one of a series of compendia that seeks to provide information available in prior topics on eGullet forums. Please feel free to add links to additional threads or posts or to add suggestions.

Olive oil

Report on 2007 tasting

Sources in the South

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 11 months later...

I came across a great little shop in the 10th on the rue Sainte Marthe, selling small production, extra virgin, Sicilian olive oils along with a handful of other seasonal products like capers, sun-dried tomatoes, and cheese. It looks more like an atelier really, than a shop, with vats of olive oil lining the walls. I knew I had found something exceptional when the owner, who is quite passionate to say the least, invited me to try at least twelve different oils before making my choice, each one very different from the next, taking the time afterwards to explain and describe what made them unique . I came home with two beautiful bottles of some of the best olive oil I have tasted. You can even bring your own bottles to fill, if you prefer. This is definitely a unique shop and one that I am certain will start getting noticed. Apparently the Plaza Athénée is already getting their oils here…

La Tete Dans Les Olives

2 rue Sainte Marthe

Paris 75010

Metro: Goncourt

Open Tuesday-Friday 14h-19h

Saturdays 11h-18h

And I came across this video on Youtube which will give you feel for the shop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9dcZ9i3e0M

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Great thread. I am looking for some specific, i.e, brand, recommendations for the kind of olive oil that we enjoy on salads in many restaurants in France. To be more specific, I am not looking for the assertive, uber-olive flavored oils that are readily available to us here in Northern California nor similar oils from Italy, Spain or Greece.

So, what characteristic but not overwhelming oils do you (guys in France) enjoy?

eGullet member #80.

Characteristic but not overwhelming, that should be huile d'olive de Nyons, with its slight buttery taste, mild and herby but not too green, with none of that unpleasant raw artichoke taste that seems to be the trend.

I also like Greek and Turkish olive oils as good all-purpose olive oils. They are never overpowering.

As a supermarket olive oil, Puget is fine.

Edited by Ptipois (log)